620 4x4 Reproduction Parts

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a shot of pictures of all the components. I have the spacer in the wrong place (middle of the pic), it goes on the shaft before the rear bearing, not after. 

IMG_4167.jpg

Had to fix the threads on my other shaft that didn't have screwed up splines. 

IMG_4142.jpg

IMG_4143.jpg

IMG_4148.jpg

IMG_4144.jpg

Here is the damaged splines on the other shaft. They allowed the bull gear to chatter. If it does the same thing on the new shaft, I will figure out a way to weld it on there :lol:

IMG_4151.jpg

The rear bearing is in a housing pressed in and retained with a groove ring. I am not sure what the housing is from, maybe a T-90? I didn't see any casting #s on it. 

IMG_4152.jpg

IMG_4153.jpg

That is my problem bearing. 

Here is the metal juice it was making . 

IMG_4157.jpg

Sounds great  :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiVrVGd9jMo&feature=youtu.be

Sorry for the vertical vid, my camera was in the vice.  :ninja:

Here's some shots of the empty housing. 

IMG_4160.jpg

IMG_4161.jpg

IMG_4162.jpg

IMG_4163.jpg

IMG_4164.jpg

IMG_4165.jpg

IMG_4166.jpg

Press in the front bearing.

IMG_4168.jpg

...and that's right when I figured out the new rear bearing was no good. For some reason I stopped taking pictures and didn't get one of the assembled adapter. Probably because it added another day to re assembly. :(

Hopefully that's plenty though cause it's all back in the truck.  B)

Thanks.

Man that adapter is simple. I could make one out of steel in a day or two.

I'm still trying to figure out the shaft, but so far I'm thinking that a shorter adapter and a sealed coupler with female splines at both ends would be far simpler and it would eliminate any welding on the input shaft.

But then I just thought of something else, don't stock D20's have a female input?

No problem. 

Ya it's super simple, I will model it up when I get some time. It be made from aluminum pretty easily as well. 

You could fit any manner of coupler in the adapter, lots of room. The big splines on the shaft aren't even used. The single shaft allows it to be supported by both bearings though so that is something to take into consideration.  

The Dana 20 uses a bull gear to drive the main rear high range. Here is a pic with the bull gear on the shaft. 

IMG_2525.jpg

Seems like this is appropriate to post now :lol: 

Link to the breakdown. 

http://midwestjeepwillys.com/transfer-case-dana-20d.html

transfer-case-dana-spicer-20-1962-79-jee

It's funny, I've been looking for a quality exploded view of the Dana 20 for years and just found this one today :lol: 

I saved it to my hard drive along with a copy of the webpage, the pictures of individual parts is a nice reference. 

• 2 weeks later...

If your truely looking to replicate what was originally done, I have an un-butchered 76 conversion done by Diversified back when my uncle bought it new from the dealership my father worked at. It is under restoration in my garage at the moment so it's in pieces and easier to see what was done. The only thing that has been changed from it's 1976 configuration is the amount of leafs up front and we flipped the axle from the top to the bottom of the leafs. The rear got an overload leaf and that is it. More than welcome to document it. I am actually debating on linking the front end and going hydro steering but haven't decided yet as it wil be more than the truck is worth and most likely will not be keeping it once completed.

Paul

• Like 1

Looking forward to more pics. Do you have any of the truck all together? 

I am actually debating on linking the front end and going hydro steering but haven't decided yet as it wil be more than the truck is worth and most likely will not be keeping it once completed.

Paul

If your tearing it down completely and rebuilding/refreshing everything anyway a properly linked axle in the front with hydro assist will do nothing but add value. :) 

Is there a build thread for your truck that I haven't been keeping up on? 

• Like 1

I had a 74 Datsun 620 with a factory dealer 4x4 option.

I will find some pictures I took of it underneath and a walk-around too.

They just slapped in a full Jeep CJ 5-Lug suspension.

Mine has these factory options also :

- Twin Stick Dana 20 Divorced Transfer Case

- Bubble Back Window

I converted it to a Weber DGV and matchbox dizzy.

Will do my best to find the photos.

• Like 2

So they put a whole Jeep chassis under it or just the front axle and leafs?

It was a datsun 620 frame, but with Jeep springs and all the suspension goodies welded as if you did a home brew swap to a 2wd truck.

The 720 4x4 swap required a few mods but is doable, had a writeup on exactly how its done at my Yahoo Group: SACPARTS.

The factory plexiglass bubble back window was a nice touch, gave you a about 3" more head room.

• Like 1