620 4x4 Reproduction Parts

Oh. Okay. I haven't a clue myself. Everything I saw was divorced. If my old man was still around, he would know. He was obsessed with getting a low conversion kit, but never did.

I thought you asked stroffgren if he could make you a new yoke/input shaft, so I'd figured this was your only one like this?

Guess I misread that.. Wouldn't be the first time. Lol.

Here's whats under my black truck...

image_zpsmdlz73qm.jpg

image_zpsorb3w0mg.jpg

Boxcar has one that's identical so I was thinking that maybe this was part of the low kit? Perhaps it was just built by the same person...

My green one is just a mess...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It interfaces the OD of the tail with the ID of the tube. The cast adapter then interfaces the OD if the tube to the ID of the adapter.

Adapter tube

IMG_1938.jpg

Press fit it on while it was still toasty from honing. Will probably take a bit of effort to take off in the future. You can see the adapter and the shaft in this shot. 

IMG_1942.jpg

All slipped together.

IMG_1943.jpg

The fact that it uses an "adapter tube" tells me that the D20 adapter was sourced from a different application, otherwise, why not make the adapter slip onto the tailshaft without the short tube. I can see a few ways this could be simplified.

How is the trans sealed off from the t-case? Or is it?

If it's not, how does the "adapter tube" seal on the trans and in the t-case? Silicone?

I just found this link to a D21 transmission. http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Gearbox-for-Nissan-D21-D22-Pickup_207302100.html

I am not familiar with the D21 at all, but the pic shows what looks like an Aisin trans with the bellhousing bolt pattern the same as a Toyota. If that's the case, what motor does this bellhousing fit? If KA, then we can use a 12V KA, this bellhousing, an Aisin Toyota 5 speed and RF1A Toyota t-case.

Problem solved.

I think that pic is of a toyota trans. When I said switch to L series bell housing earlier, I meant splitting the cases. The only manual transmission that I know of with a actual removable bell housing that fits a L series is the T-5 from the 280zx turbo. That was a one year only thing, so hard to find.

Why use a 2wd? If switching trannys wouldn't it be better to start with a 4x4 transmission and build an adapter for that?

Would be nice to have some input from others with 4x4 620's.......

The fact that it uses an "adapter tube" tells me that the D20 adapter was sourced from a different application, otherwise, why not make the adapter slip onto the tailshaft without the short tube. I can see a few ways this could be simplified.

How is the trans sealed off from the t-case? Or is it?

I am not familiar with the D21 at all, but the pic shows what looks like an Aisin trans with the bellhousing bolt pattern the same as a Toyota. If that's the case, what motor does this bellhousing fit? If KA, then we can use a 12V KA, this bellhousing, an Aisin Toyota 5 speed and RF1A Toyota t-case.

Problem solved.

The tube, I assume, is used to adapt to different transmission tail housings. I think you just use a different tube for converting say a ford courier, toyota hilux or chevy luv.

The transmission uses the stock seal, the slip portion of the shaft is a stock drive shaft slip shaft.

The front bearing in the adapter is sealed while the rear bearing is open to the t-case.

That doesn't look like a nissan trans to me, could be a newer version though.

I think that pic is of a toyota trans. When I said switch to L series bell housing earlier, I meant splitting the cases. The only manual transmission that I know of with a actual removable bell housing that fits a L series is the T-5 from the 280zx turbo. That was a one year only thing, so hard to find.

Why use a 2wd? If switching trannys wouldn't it be better to start with a 4x4 transmission and build an adapter for that?

Would be nice to have some input from others with 4x4 620's.......

The later Z/KA series bellhousings swap to the early L series trans and vice versa. You could swap a pathfinder trans and tcase in but there isn't a ton of gearing options for that tcase.

Ya wheres the other 4x4 620 guys :lol:

• Like 1

The later Z/KA series bellhousings swap to the early L series trans and vice versa. You could swap a pathfinder trans and tcase in but there isn't a ton of gearing options for that tcase.

Ya wheres the other 4x4 620 guys :lol:

Just letting stroffregen know its not just a simple bell housing swap. It's the entire front case of transmission. So using a nissan bell housing and toyota trans would be next to impossible. I have a Z series 720 5 speed in mine.

But that was along the lines of what I was thinking. Using a 4wd trans and marrying the yoda tcase to that with an adapter. Make it so you can stack some doublers in there too...

Then it wouldn't be such a limited market and the 720 and D21 4X4 guys would have more options going SAS.

• Like 1

Just letting stroffregen know its not just a simple bell housing swap. It's the entire front case of transmission. So using a nissan bell housing and toyota trans would be next to impossible. I have a Z series 720 5 speed in mine.

Don't worry, I get it, but I ran across that pic and had to throw it out there. Who knows? Aisin transmissions are used in everything from Toyotas to Chevys and Jeeps, might there be a Datsun variant? If there is, that's the trans I want.

I poked around on the interweb and that's not the only Aisin trans I found listed as Nissan.

I'm using 12v ka and hard body transmission and tx10a case. A couple companies make gears for that t case. Along with a doubler to run a dana 300 off the back of that. Should be a pretty slow truck when I'm done.

Pics!?

So this is where I have to ask, how important is the originality factor? If we start to stray off towards modern, then that's a completely different market.

I subscribe to Vintage Truck magazine, as well as a few other classic car and truck mags and one of the things I find most intriguing, when I see an old 4x4, is how rudimentary it usually is. So to me, an old truck may loose something if you start swapping drivetrains and axles, etc.

Now to get into the rock crawleing market with Datsun parts...? That may be the best or worst decision ever made. It's such a small market as it is because there are no available parts, so to measure it in that regard, there's no market. On the other hand...

I'm going to continue with the oroginal plan to see if that D20 adapter can be made within a reasonable budget.

Don't worry, I get it, but I ran across that pic and had to throw it out there. Who knows? Aisin transmissions are used in everything from Toyotas to Chevys and Jeeps, might there be a Datsun variant? If there is, that's the trans I want.

I poked around on the interweb and that's not the only Aisin trans I found listed as Nissan.

I would contact Datsun Mike on this. I know he did a pretty extensive write-up on Datsun/Nissan Transmissions...

So this is where I have to ask, how important is the originality factor? If we start to stray off towards modern, then that's a completely different market.

I subscribe to Vintage Truck magazine, as well as a few other classic car and truck mags and one of the things I find most intriguing, when I see an old 4x4, is how rudimentary it usually is. So to me, an old truck may loose something if you start swapping drivetrains and axles, etc.

Now to get into the rock crawleing market with Datsun parts...? That may be the best or worst decision ever made. It's such a small market as it is because there are no available parts, so to measure it in that regard, there's no market. On the other hand...

I'm going to continue with the oroginal plan to see if that D20 adapter can be made within a reasonable budget.

For me, it's a little of both. I want something thats enjoyable to drive, but also want to keep the L series mostly for the sound (I'm keeping the stock de-clutching fan, and some day a little turbo whine, to put the icing on the cake). I can hear a Datsun long before I see it... And to turn around and see a 4X4 620.. :thumbup: As far as the transfer case goes. Who cares as long as it works... The rear axle is pretty much a must swap anyway. The only ratio Nissan had in common is the 4.88, and thats not so easy to find.

I think I'd want to find more than two guys with a married adapter before I came to the conclusion that it was part of the LOW kit. Just came across the thread you were talking about from last week, Datsunaholic stated his opinion on that, I'm kind of in the same boat.

I'd think divorced would be much easier for the typical DIY guy, and there would be hardly any cutting, grinding, and welding (also keep in mind the material used on the inside of frame is MUCH thinner than the rest). A divorced kit could be a nice, light weight, rubber mounted frame, and just two tabs, for the buyer to weld on bottom, and even better, top outside edge of frame rail. The gear lever pivot, and the rest could all be bolt in. Something like mine, but done better. You might even get some buys from guys that have the botched together divorced setups? I might be a buyer on something like that if it were nice, lightweight, and cool looking, (I do have the other truck too) and if you were to make a adapter like the one I spoke of earlier, I would definitely be a buyer. The married D20 on the 2wd trans, I just see too many problems, and no easy solution.

Unfortunately, unless your getting tons of PM's, I don't see a market here, and that's a real shame... Another 620 4X4 showed up on CL last week and is currently getting parted out of all of it's good stuff. Guys asking $300 for whats left of it. I would buy it for the parts, but there is not enough of it left that I would want to even justify the towing costs... Someone should buy it before it's totally gone, and goes to the crusher.

I probably wouldn't use the lack of PM's here on Ratsun as a measuring stick. I am glad to be getting help from two guys who actually have converted trucks, and that was my intention from the get-go.

Well you and I can agree to disagree ont he married/divorced setup. I have been in the 4x4 game for long enough to not be discouraged by a small technical challenge. And if my idea worked out as planned, I don't see why the adapter couldn't work as a divorced setup as well as a married setup.

Thanks for all the input.

And between 3:9 gears in the tx10a 4:1 gears in the dana 300 and 5.8 gears in the axles it will be plenty slow. I think if I ever got an atlas I would just mount it above my fireplace and think dirty thoughts... those t cases and pretty..

• Like 2

I'm putting this divorced dana 20 back in for the time being so I can drive this truck around. Do any of you have oics of the mounts for that set up. I have the case, shifter, jack shift and front and rear drivelines but no mounts. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

For me, it's a little of both. I want something thats enjoyable to drive, but also want to keep the L series mostly for the sound (I'm keeping the stock de-clutching fan, and some day a little turbo whine, to put the icing on the cake). I can hear a Datsun long before I see it... And to turn around and see a 4X4 620.. :thumbup: As far as the transfer case goes. Who cares as long as it works... The rear axle is pretty much a must swap anyway. The only ratio Nissan had in common is the 4.88, and thats not so easy to find.

... Another 620 4X4 showed up on CL last week and is currently getting parted out of all of it's good stuff. Guys asking $300 for whats left of it. I would buy it for the parts, but there is not enough of it left that I would want to even justify the towing costs... Someone should buy it before it's totally gone, and goes to the crusher.

I agree, I'd rather have a reliable, well built 4x4 over a period correct one.

If it's the black one in Concrete WA, that thing is a perfect example of a hacked together truck, it had a 6" body lift and a bunch of other booty fab. The body looks to be in nice shape though, it was probably not driven much. 

No pics yet :( I am rehearing the 300 with 4:1 gears first, and it already has a twin stick / flip kit. The adapter is around $900 so after I get taxes I'll be buying this. I bought a 4x4 620 off of Datsunholic a month ago.

Which truck did you pick up? Blue or white? 

I'm putting this divorced dana 20 back in for the time being so I can drive this truck around. Do any of you have oics of the mounts for that set up. I have the case, shifter, jack shift and front and rear drivelines but no mounts. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I would model it after 620Turbo4X4s, Boxcar has posted some good examples as well. 

Oh. Okay. I haven't a clue myself. Everything I saw was divorced. If my old man was still around, he would know. He was obsessed with getting a low conversion kit, but never did.

I thought you asked stroffgren if he could make you a new yoke/input shaft, so I'd figured this was your only one like this?

Guess I misread that.. Wouldn't be the first time. Lol.

Here's whats under my black truck...

image_zpsmdlz73qm.jpg

image_zpsorb3w0mg.jpg

Boxcar has one that's identical so I was thinking that maybe this was part of the low kit? Perhaps it was just built by the same person...

My green one is just a mess...

620Turbo4X4, any pics of the mess? I like a good disaster flick :lol:

How about some build threads in here. 

Boxcars 

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/55368-620-4x4-conversion/

sidewayzvegan

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/58191-74-620-4x4-dana27-to-83-toyota-axle-swap/

ratsun73

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/56327-4wd-1973-620-pickup/

This one has an adapter like mine. 

Hermistonkilla

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/31299-78-datsun-4x4-build-thread/

SandyMush620

720 frame swap (not super relevant but a nice looking 620) 

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/51214-in-which-a-4x4-620-is-built/

I know there are more, will dig again later   :)

• Like 2

If it's the black one in Concrete WA, that thing is a perfect example of a hacked together truck, it had a 6" body lift and a bunch of other booty fab. The body looks to be in nice shape though, it was probably not driven much. 

620Turbo4X4, any pics of the mess? I like a good disaster flick :lol:

Yeah, That's the truck, and yes, a complete hack job. Too bad he started parting it out. Could have beed a good starting point for someone to re-do. The hood, fenders, front bumper, and dash are all getting hard to find in good shape anymore. Esp. the dash...

I did take some photos of the mess, but none came out very well. PO painted the truck teal house paint and the entire undercarriage chevy orange  :sick: right over the rust. That, and the gobs of cobwebs made it hard to tell what was what, so I didn't post them...

I almost didn't buy it cause it was so ugly, but the factory tach, nearly rust free floorboards, and 5 speed made it worth it for $500. Owner just wanted it gone, and even towed it to my house :thumbup:

• Like 2

I didn't get a pic, but the rear of the tcase frame bolts up to the 2 lower output shaft bearing housing bolts. Uses a longer bolt and spacer to replace the short bolt. Whole thing should be pretty easy to make with some 3/8" flat bar and some old rubber cab mounts. Can be off a bit up and down (mine sits low with no body lift), but keep it fairly level with the trans. (I think mine was leveled off the frame.) I had to cut the upper tcase frame mounts off of mine and pitch the front of tcase up to match the transmission. Had vibration issues at speed from the mismatching angles...

• Like 1

Yep, I remember :) 

That white one that Doug had looked like it was in decent shape. Get a photobucket account set up. :)

I sourced the bearings for my adapter this week. Applied Industrial in Everett had the one I couldn't find in stock and the other one for $30 less than I found it online. 

IMG_3633.jpg

I'll get more pics when I pull it apart to replace these. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Yep, I remember :)

That white one that Doug had looked like it was in decent shape. Get a photobucket account set up. :)

I sourced the bearings for my adapter this week. Applied Industrial in Everett had the one I couldn't find in stock and the other one for $30 less than I found it online. 

IMG_3633.jpg

I'll get more pics when I pull it apart to replace these. 

Well? Where's our pics dude?

• Like 1