Valve cover make over(pic overload)

mklotz70

Had a huge "to-do" list today....so I blew it all off and played...I mean worked, on something I've been wanting to since I got the mill.

Almost everyone knows that the L series valve cover with the ridges up over the timing hump are getting pretty rare. The have a 1/4 turn cap on them that tends to leak oil pretty badly. The valve cover with the screw in cap is much better about staying clean, but, they're a dime-a-dozen. What most people don't know is that there is a version of the ribbed cover that has the twist in cap. According to Epperly(of ZTherapy)....they are extremely rare. Not sure why...maybe a JDM only kinda thing. He has at least one of any Datsun item that is collectible and even he doesn't have one. Supposedly...they're worth a nice chuck of change. I'm doing it for the "wow" factor on Paula's 521 since it will mostly keep an L series forever :)

Starting to get things laid out. Plans changed a bit after the first pic. I was going a slightly different route...so disregard the hole saw on the ribbed cover.

First up...get the threads out of the common cover.

DCP_9065.jpg

DCP_9067.jpg

I then took the slug with the threads in it and chucked it up in the lathe(which has been down for a week...just got it fixed :)) I turned off the excess and made a step in it.

DCP_9072.jpg

DCP_9073.jpg

DCP_9075.jpg

DCP_9077.jpg

I made it so the step sat just inside a small lip in the ribbed cover.

DCP_9078.jpg

Now to set up the ribbed cover. I checked the level of the mill as a reference, then shimmed the cover and clamped it. 2/10ths of a degree is close enough for me :)

DCP_9080.jpg

DCP_9081.jpg

Using a wobbly and the DRO, I located center and setup the boring head.

DCP_9082.jpg

DCP_9085.jpg

DCP_9086.jpg

Got it really close. The hole or the slug can get shaved a bit to make them fit. I was still hemming and hawing over whether to TIG it or jb weld it. I could have gotten the fit close enough to use loctite...anyway..

DCP_9089.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Better safe than sorry...figured I'd post that before I lost it.

The ribbed cover had previously been covered with wrinkle paint...which is a bit harder to get off than smooth paint. I used paint stripper in a spray can...works pretty well. Soaked it down and let it sit for a bit. I did clean the oil and grease off first.

DCP_9091.jpg

DCP_9092.jpg

DCP_9096.jpg

DCP_9097.jpg

Here's what it looked like after I sprayed it with the garden hose. I dried it off and sprayed it again.

DCP_9098.jpg

It sure loved the second application!!

DCP_9099.jpg

• Like 3

...so about this time, I got fed up with fighting with the old camera...had to press the button 2-10 times to get it to snap a pic.....so I went and bought an 8.2mp that will slip in my pocket nicely for car shows :) Because of the resizing on photobucket...won't be much of a noticeable difference.....anyway....

100_0030.jpg

100_0031.jpg

I realized that the slug was standing a bit too "proud" of the top....so I put it back in the lathe and trimmed it some more.

100_0036.jpg

100_0044.jpg

100_0045.jpg

Starting to see it come together....

100_0042.jpg

100_0043.jpg

As long as I was at it, I thought I'd clean up the elephant cap and use it :)

DCP_9095.jpg

• Like 2

A flat file and a sanding block got the nicks out of the ribs and lettering. They'll get polished in a bit.

100_0047.jpg

100_0048.jpg

Setup a test weld for the tig...like it...decided to do the real thing

100_0061.jpg

First inch came out fine.....

100_0069.jpg

I didn't notice that I'd run out of gas.....I nearly f'd up the cover. I think I can clean this up and finish it without too much grief. If not, I'll cut another slug from another cover and bore this hole out again :) It's all about the toyls (spelled correctly...Paula calls them toys, I call them tools :)

100_0070.jpg

.....maybe more tomorrow...after I get the gas :)

• Like 1

Thanks guys :)

Now I remember why I try to squeeze it all in one posting......other guys viewing/posting make it hang up.....so even though I saw nothing happening at my end....it posted the same thing 4 times :( Oh well. Maybe a mod can clean it up a bit :)

bed time!

• Like 1
me - I like the Datsun 1600 valve cover unribbed... my opinion

They are my preference too. Part of the appeal was the rarity of the one I'm trying to fake. Plus....once I powder coat it, the ribs look extra cool.

Mike thats to cool! I want that cap on my SR cover, I better send a valve cover to you :D

Dude...you have access to better equipment then me and you can tig aluminum better too.......................so if you want it f'd up...send it on down :)

mike you are having waay too much fun. i demand that you stop right now!:lol:

looks awesome and is very unique.

did you bead blast that elephant oil cap?

the 1600 valve covers i've seen have the spark plug wire bracket riveted or pinned in instead of a bolt?

The only thing I might stop is the posting ....so I have more time in the shop!! :)

I actually cleaned it in the parts cleaner with a toothbrush and a brass brush. I run the pressure on the glass beads way too high...if would have fogged it. Glass beads are actually supposed to be run down around 30-40psi so they don't break on impact. If they stay round, they work great for polishing brass and aluminum.....but I use mine for rust removal and cleaning.....so 90psi it is! :)

As for the bracket...I haven't looked to see if the hole has threads. If it doesn't, it will have. Then it will get a chrome button head :)

• Like 1
They are my preference too. Part of the appeal was the rarity of the one I'm trying to fake. Plus....once I powder coat it, the ribs look extra cool.

What SDSURF refering to Mike is the Datsun 1600 OHC unribbed and screw on cap. Another valve cover variation.

I've never seen ribbed valve cover with the screw on cap if they exist.

As always, your ideas are very unique and impressive work.

Fortunately all 3 1600 valve covers I'm using have new cap and not experiencing oil leaks from the top.

• Like 1
SWEET! So how much is one of those Elephant caps worth? They're pretty cool. :thumbsup:

No clue...I heard they were getting hard to find, so I hung onto it.

Looks like fun Mike! I like the ribbed one. Looks different. :D

What SDSURF refering to Mike is the Datsun 1600 OHC unribbed and screw on cap. Another valve cover variation.

I've never seen ribbed valve cover with the screw on cap if they exist.

As always, your ideas are very unique and impressive work.

Fortunately all 3 1600 valve covers I'm using have new cap and not experiencing oil leaks from the top.

Thanks. I knew what he meant....that's actually my preference too. In fact, had I been paying attention, I would have dug out a nissan ohc cover and left the datsun one alone :( I probably have a 1600 non-ribbed running around here somewhere. I don't have any more ribbed ones....that I know of...so this will probably be the only one I do.

It's monday...I'm going to hook up the new argon bottle to the tig and call it a day :)

• Like 1
Almost everyone knows that the L series valve cover with the ridges up over the timing hump are getting pretty rare. The have a 1/4 turn cap on them that tends to leak oil pretty badly.

The valve cover with the screw in cap is much better about staying clean, but, they're a dime-a-dozen.

What most people don't know is that there is a version of the ribbed cover that has the twist in cap. According to Epperly(of ZTherapy)....they are extremely rare. Not sure why...maybe a JDM only kinda thing.

I'm doing it for the "wow" factor on Paula's 521 since it will mostly keep an L series forever :)

Wait a minute....you modded the valve cover so it would leak more??!!! :blink: