EFI and EDIS Ignition.

Mattndew76

My goal is to EFI and Supercharge my A12 on the coupe. I want to eliminate the distributor and go with a Electronic Ignition. I do have all the stuff to change over to a CAS distributor body though, but the Supercharger and CAS cannot occupy the same space. The CAS sits a little too high, and the SC is just outright BIG.

I have settled on the EDIS as the best solution. That is in itself a problem too.  I cannot seem to find a universal Trigger wheel in the states ( I did on ebay) . I find them for specific cars all day, but do not know enough about them to say that they can work with my engine.

Anyone with experience with EDIS please feel free to spit some knowledge.

I have found this and I'm considering adapting since Machine work is no issue.  https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/16v4age/4ag-trigger-wheel

Or - Only universal found state side I'm guessing..... http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/110359359209?lpid=82&chn=ps

• Like 1
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford EDIS are programmed to only have 10 degrees ignition timing BTDC.  It uses a 36 minus 1 tooth wheel, there is a possibility you will have to adapt one, or machine your own.  It also needs a controller, that will send the EDIS module a "Spark Advance Word".  commonly it is done with some version of a Megasquirt EFI controller.

this should keep you reading for a few days.

http://www.megasquirt.info/index.html

• Like 1

Machine a register on the back of your crank pulley and screw the trigger wheel to it. Use 4 or 6 10-32 screws or even 6mm screws. Are you going to use a stock crank pulley or an aftermarket damper? If you're using a damper, you could bolt it to the front of the damper. I would mount it behind the pulley though.

Magnetic vs hall effect is a good dabate. Magnetic pickups are easily damaged but not all ECU's will support a hall sensor.

Is it going to be EFI?

• Like 1

I've always been a fan of Electromotive fuel injection systems. There was no such thing as mega squirt back in '92 when I started looking into standalones. Their ignition systems are one of the best out there. Old TEC ll systems show up on eBay every so often and go for around $250

Still have my original Tec ll that I bought in 92

IMG_0720_zps0435ae96.jpg

Will be using a Tec 3 running full sequential on my 620 whenever I get the turbo engine all put together.

Electromotive uses a 60-2 trigger wheel for better resolution.

IMG_0931_zps86c63a20.jpg

Re machined a ford cam sensor to fit the L for cam signal

IMG_0790_zps7bce9036.jpg

• Like 1

The more teeth on the gear does nothing. GM uses 60-2 wheels. Ford used 36-1. Both locate TDC in relation to the missing teeth.

The resolution is generated inside the control module. MegaJolt reads the EDIS4 controller. MegaSquirt reads the wheel sensor directly.

The cam sensor is a CPS (camshaft position sensor). Neither MegaJolt nor MegaSquirt require one. CPS is used for non-wasted spark. CPS is also used for Sequential EFI which reduces emissions.

• Like 1

Wow.

What's the better resolution do for a ignition?

Increased spark accuracy. Electromotive systems have 1/4 degree spark accuracy up to 20k RPM

Crank speeds are not linear and constantly changing. Slowing on compression and speeding up during combustion. The less rotating mass (ie light flywheel) the more of a difference. With 60 teeth the ECU syncs every 6 crankshaft degrees and is able to predict proper coil dwell and when to fire it much more accuracy. This helps a bunch when your engine is accelerating quickly as the ignition timing from previous cylinder event will need to happen sooner on the next event to fire on time.

Electromotive can explain this better thn me...

http://www.electromotive-inc.com

• Like 2

Megajolt claims better resolution than that with the 36 tooth wheel. I believe they use the microsecond timing of their processor along with the pulses. Yes, the 36 tooth pulses lag compared to the 60 tooth wheel, but the ultimate resolution is up to the Control Module. The Electramotive is likely more accurate even if lower resolution.

Electramotive was cutting edge for a long time and even Nissan Competition used their ignitions. It is good stuff.

• Like 1

MegaSquirt can also control EDIS, and needs no EDIS4 module.

But MS cost more than MegaJolt Lite Jr. On the other hand it can also control EFI ...

I think paid $60 for everything at pick-n-pay except for MJLJ. That included the coil pack and new plug wires.

The Datsun 1200 guys in USA have been using EDIS for years. It gives a rock steady idle compared to a geared distributor, and allows easy custom spark curves.

• Like 1