1980 720 4x4 lift

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only seen two kits for 720s. One was an add a leaf and upper control arms (shorter?) and the other was a shackle lift, control arms, and shocks. Anything over 2.5 inches either has to be done with a body lift or trimming the fenders to fit larger tires for "true" lift. Unless you want to SAS. In that case, the sky is the limit. 

84720 is right. No one builds a suspension lift as big as you want for these trucks. Big lifts on these are all SAS (solid axle swap). I have an 85 with "3 inch" lift control arms front and shackles in the rear, but it's really more like 2 1/4 inch. My torsion bars are keyed one notch higher. Then I'm running 31x10.5 tires. I sit about 3 inches higher than my stepdads 720, which is stock on 30x9.5 tires. Any bigger will have to be body lift and even bigger tires. Or SAS. Or the last option, get creative and be the first to build a new bigger lift kit. Those are the only options for the 720.

• Like 1

I think you'd have to make a control arm drop kit to make sure you didn't destroy CV shafts constantly. But at that point you've already cut off the IFS, so might as well SAS. 

It also depends if you are lifting for aesthetics or for functionality on the trail. You could gain about 3 inches of height with the 2 inch lift plus some 31" tires, assuming you still have the stock 215/75/15 tire size.