nj0z1200ute - 1200 ute USA build

For budgetary and time restrictions I have decided to put the turbo and accessories related to turbo on HOLD.
Therefore i decided to go back to a carburetored setup. Twin Dellorto DHLA 40. Purchased a manifold setup from Japan.
Before the pandemic I was able to get the following completed:

Radiator swap
Purchased modified and installed headers. The headers needed adjustment to clear the intake manifold and the left engine mount
Radiator hoses installed. I went with a metallic bendy hose setup and painted them copper to match my headers
Heater hoses installed.
Headers wrapped and painted with high temp coating
Radiator fan test fitted.
Decided to omit Engine Fan
Custom fuel filler started. The previous owner welded over the standard fuel door for that "shaved" look and I wanted to respect and maintain that. Rather than put the fuel filler on the inside of the tray or hide it somewhere else on the car, I decided to hide it in the door jamb. Yes it will make fumes. No I don't care. Make all the bad comments you want about it. This is the internet after-all.

Pictures:

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

• Like 1
  • Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Putting the fuel filler in the door will make fumes.  You should care what i think because this is the internet!

😁

I'm surprised there is enough space there for a gas cap though.  I would have thought it would stick up way too high.

usually they can't comprehend RHD at the gas station.  In my state they are full service.   But for my own sake I'm gonna always fill up across the state border so I can pump the gas myself and not have it spill all over my interior by some other idiot.

Next order of business - seats.
Seats seats seats. I have been through 1,2,3,4? Sets of seats trying to get the right fit in my 1200 ute/sunny truck.

Nothing seems to work as well as stock seats and I cannot find stock seats in the USA unless people are junking them from their imported car which usually happens on the other side of the country and shipping is cost prohibitive. I could have brought seats back with me from Aus, but they wouldn't have fit in my carry-on LOL.

1st seats were stock USDM coupe seats which were way too thick
2nd seats were ebay cheapies which were too skinny
3rd seats were Sparco sprints. Didnt like the fit
4th seats were Porsche 914. Sit way too low and weren't that comfortable.

5th set of seats and what I am sticking with are a new product from Sickspeed. I really like them. They are obviously a copy of Bride seats but in a funny way I kind of like it because of that fact. The are Sickspeed Suzuka seats reclinable. They also come in a fixed back - which I was considering but in the good ole General Ree I had reclining seats and it was handy for storing stuff under and behind the seat such as jumper leads, etc...

So with the 5th set of seats come the 5th set of seat rails, custom made. I am getting good at it by the 5th time. Measure, cut, weld, prime, paint, assemble, curse when they dont fit. Resize, repeat.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Back in May 2020 I was able to get the dash installed. In this pandemic I was able to get lots of work done on the car being in self-isolation.

More pictures and updates to come.

Regarding the dash, I had years ago installed some LED lights and they are working great. I also highlighted the round gauge bezels with some gold.

I am not planning on using the radio for either a radio or CD player. I have some radio delete plates I custom 3D printed that I am going to install similar to what I did on my previous Project Avocado 1200 coupe.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
DIY Custom stainless exhaust. First time welding my own exhaust. And before you roast my welds, I really don't care if you think they're bad. Its called learning.

Magnaflow free flowing muffler test fit.

These are old pictures. The exhaust sounds sweet and turned out good.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

• Like 2

You can make them all perfectly pretty with a flap wheel if you care enough. 

I think fitment is way more important than pretty welds and it looks like you nailed the fitment.  Did you use stainless wire to weld it?