Would this combo make a good daily driver

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a 1978 L20b in a 620. Want to bore to 86 mm and use 280z 10:90 dished pistons. Have a w58 closed chamber cylinder head, and use a 32/36 weber, or is there a better combo out there. I would rather not have to burn high octane, but will if I need to.

Thanks

That combo gives a 9.122 compression.

• Like 3

Best mileage is high compression and high octane with the timing as advanced as safely possible.

Try just regular gas and adjust the timing by ear so there is a just barely noticeable ping under load. Maybe back off the timing just a hair to loose it. Run a couple of tanks and work out your mileage.

Now run some premium (or what ever you call it down there) and again advance the timing until slight ping and back it off. Run a few tanks and work out your mileage.

Now, does the mileage increase per gallon pay for the increased cost of the higher octane fuel per gallon?

Say you get 28 MPG with regular at $3.60 a gallon... that's 280 miles per 10 gallon tank

You get 32 MPG with premium at $3.80... that's 320 miles per 10 gallon tank

You go 40 miles further but it only costs you $2.00 more.

• Like 2

Great information (and you're right, I always get an answer from Ratsun) p.s. Crow doesn't taste very good. I have a couple of annoying questions to some. Everything will be new. Cylinder head was milled 10 thousanth, do I need cam tower shims? Do I put the cam sprocket at the number one position or the number two with the 280z pistons. And as far as pistons go, I found original dealer pistons for around $65. each. They are probably the best out there, but I'm willing to settle for second, third, or what ever is a good piston at a reasonanable price. One more, what rings should I use (I know stock was chrome, but you about need to have a perfect cylinder for them to seat) I have read moly rings (don't know if they mean chrome moly or just moly). I've also read Hastings makes good rings.

Thanks for your time.

• Like 1

Hastings makes sprayed chrome rings as well as cast rings.

Cast rings seat quickly and will last a long time, but chrome rings will last a really long time.

Cast rings are easier to snap both on install and from detonation.

Chrome rings don't require anything special as far as the hone in the bore goes.

If you're having a shop hone the block then they will know what to do.

If you're honing it yourself, use a ball hone, lubricate it with WD40 (both in the bore and on the hone), use an electric drill (battery powered or plug in) set on the mid speed setting and for every one second count you should go down and up the bore two times (count "one one thousand"). ie - one one = down and up, thou sand = down and up. Run the hone in the bore five or ten total strokes.

AKA the point of diminishing returns. Stock is super easy to maintain and reliable. When building it up more and more goes into it and less and less is gained. The first 10 HP costs $150, the next 10 hp $200 more, the next 10 hp $500....