Charging issues!! Help please!

LiLHustler620

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if the pulley on new alt is not cut as deep as your old one, and belt is worn thin enough it could be bottoming out in the groove. Typically this doesn't make much of a squealing noise like you hear with just a loose belt. Couldn't hurt getting a new correctly sized belt and go from there....[/quote

Great point. Replacing the belt now. I want to eliminate other possibilities on the fuel pump before I spend 60 bucks on a relay or a pump.

Stop throwing money at it.

If the belt is loose it can cause all those symptoms. Get the correct length belt and tighten it to spec. Easy to do.

A fresh battery reads about 12.6 volts. Never 14 volts, which is charging voltage.

If you can turn the alternator by hand, the belt is way too loose!

14.5 volts WAS charging voltage. As that is what I had been trying to achieve. I believe I said it was 14.5 volts while running. And I've purchased nothing but a $4 dollar belt. But yes I am currently replacing that and trying to figure out how I can troubleshoot the fuel pump without replacing it.

Well I found the post about using the jumper wire from the blue port to the white and black port and I did it. The pump works just fine. Looks like I've got a bad fuel pump relay. Very glad to know what the problem is. Now I just have to find one. Nobody I've called lists one and my truck is a daily driver. I am very curious if having issues with my fuel pump relay could have been causing any charging system issues! Does anyone have any input on that? And also is it OK to leave the jumper wire in place and drive the truck that way for a day or so until I get the relay replaced or will that cause problems?? Thanks for all the feedback everyone.