KA24e rear sump pan

ap72license

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not that difficult to make your own pan. If you have a pan (not necessarily from the engine you are using) that fits the chassis, cut the sump off and weld it to the rails of the KA pan. Leave a "flange" of an inch or more and use a TIG with silicon bronze rod which flows nicely and won't leave leaky pinholes. After it's welded, fill it up with water and blow compressed air around the weld from the outside and look for bubbles risding up in the water.

Easy job for an afternoon.

• Like 2

Don't you flip the cross member to make the KA engine fit in a 510? I'm assuming that is what you are trying to do since there are no car specs listed.

That's the easiest way to do it, but a rear sump pan is the right way to do it.

D-21s didn't have the crank girdle, this is why it fits.

240sx

S13/14 KA24E and KA24DE engines have a 'front sump' oil pan and a crank girdle that sticks down

S13 only KA24E engines have external oil pumps just like the L and Z series engines. Oil pan will not fit the DE engine below.

S13/14 KA24DE engines have internal oil pumps. Oil pan will not fit the E engine above.

Hardbody

D-21 KA24E and KA24DE engines have 'rear sump' oil pans that are shallower because there is no crank girdle. Both engines have external oil pumps just like the L and Z series engines. Very likely the E and DE oil pans will swap on the D-21.

S13 240sx KA24E oil pan top. Note front sump and deeper. Top left beveled corner for external oil pump clearance.

D-21 Hardbody KA24E oil pan bottom. Note rear sump and shallower. Top left corner beveled for external oil pump clearance.

These two pans would interchange but the crank girdle will hit the D-21 pan.

KA24Etruckand240axpans002Large.jpg

S13 KA24E crank girdle...

KA24Eblock017Large.jpg

Update:  The clearance between the pan and the girdle was off by about 1/2".  I saw that someone used the pan and just cut it and inserted a section of steel to make up the 1/2" difference.

My method was as follows:

beat the snot out of it to get the extra 1/2" clearance.

My method worked quite well and took me about 10 minutes as I checked fitment 4 times to make sure I didn't get too carried away.

Next issue- the pan was SUPPOSED to come with the pick up tube.  It did not and I cannot find a used one on ebay.  Does anyone have a lead on where I can find a used D21 oil pickup tube?  My other option is to cut/weld the front sump pan tube, but I would prefer just to use the D21 tube that I know works without issues.

I also need to address the dipstick still.

and FWIW, my combo is as follows- KA24E from a 240sx with a fresh rebuild, ported head, and ZX9R carbs.  going into a '73 MGB with the 240SX 5 speed trans.

• Like 1

I'm sure it will, and I'd rather beat on the metal a little than cut and weld- all I have is a rod welder and a fluxwire welder- neither is suited to an oil pan.

I may have to weld the pickup tube though. Not excited about that.  Anyone know of a good junkyard that I can call?  Paying $120 for a new pickup is out of the question, the same thing on a sbc would cost me about $5 new.