Considering buying a 620 - Thoughts?

petercscherer

I've recently come across a Datsun 620 Pickup locally. I've only ever looked at 720 and 240Z prices, and I wanted to get your opinions on the value and desirability of this one.

From what I've been told by the seller, it's sat for quite awhile, there is currently an unknown V6/auto in it, and there's no major body damage or rust. 

No title, only Bill-of-Sale

Oics!

00h0h_k5RTTCjOKWs_600x450_zps8gjn2cee.jp

00a0a_5Y4t1w9baPe_600x450_zpsai1k4a0x.jp

PART951427412523750952015032695182600_zp

PART_1427412551686_20150326_182553_zpsai

PART_1427412565972_20150326_182630_zpsay

PART_1427412747023_20150326_182651_zpsr8

I do have a running engine/transmission to install in it, and I have the shop space/time/tools/etc...

~Peter

• Like 2
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know what year right now. Haven't been to see it in person, and the seller is NOT a car person. Texas title process requires that you get title-insurance, exhaust efforts to find/reach past owners, and pay the typical titling fees just to receive a Liened Title which lasts for 3 years. After that 3 years, if no one has come forward and claimed the car as stolen or wrecked, you then get a clear TX title. It's a lot of BS paperwork and time, and ultimately isn't that bad moneywise... I think the last one I did was $350 all in.
~Peter

• Like 1

I am going to guess Olds or Pontiac on the engine.Chevy would be orange, Ford is navy blue. This one looks light blue. Plus that alternator looks corporate GM. But this got me to thinking... how cool would it be to put a GM Buick Grand National engine in a 620 or 720?

As for the truck, I say go for it if the price is cheap and a title can be worked out somehow.

• Like 1

I'm with nanners on this one. Looks like the 2.8 abortion from a bronco 2 my buddy had in high school. Shitty engines in my book, no power but at least they get bad mileage.

For the record, the grand natty or better yet gnx setup in a 620 would be epic.

• Like 2

I agree with dr. feltersnatch, offer low for it like 300 with the implication that its only worth parts. It does look rust free from these exterior parts. I'd suggest you pull up the carpet and look at the floor to asses the rust issues, windshield gasket leaks cause many rusty floors in 620.

• Like 2

Guy is asking $500, and now looking at my economic situation, I think that what feltersnatch is right: that it will cost several thousand dollars to get back on the road. I'd much rather find a 620 in the condition of my 720, and pay $1200-1600 for it. P

Probably going to pass and stick with my projects that I already have...

~Peter

• Like 3

Man I miss having time to read threw more posts .  Interesting find , I would log it away as one to come back later and get for parts . 

So what engine is it ?  exploder 2.9...I mean explorer 2.9  .. I think ford 2.9 and the chevy 2.8 are the 2 worst motors on the plant . It's like they were racing to see who could build the crappiest engine of all time , 

• Like 4

There's a lot of questions to ask yourself.  What are your plans for the truck.  How much work and money are you willing  and able to do?  I like the fit of engine is the bay, but was it a hack job or a nice install?  If the engine mileage is really high do you want to replace it with the same engine?  I don't think 300-400 is bad if you willing to put a lot of work into it, but the resale on these trucks isn't great even if heavily modified.  I don't think you would ever get more than 10 grand for that truck, tricked out and painted.

• 2 weeks later...

20140516_191148.jpg

It is a ford motor and if you get it I have some cool speed parts for one. I have all the parts for this motor(there just buried in the race shop) , 40 plus different cams, N.O.S. motor and aluminum oil pan. But these motors have such small ports I don't see it having any hp.

I used one from a 1974 MK1 in my modified. I used first or second gear (1/4 mile track first/ 3/8 mile and up track with second gear) turning from 6500 to 8000 rpm and it lived!!! And the shifter was right on top of the tranny mounted to a plate I made.