Small Factory's Datsun 620 Truck (for trucking)

Small Factory

The kick panels are not stock. The speaker location is stock though.

I may have a tool bag for you.I will take a look.

Post a wanted ad in the classifieds for the ashtray and blanking plate. Maybe for the tach too. Although factory 620 tachs are rare and fetching a good bit of cash these days. 

I have seen a few sell on ebay for high dollars. 

I am going to try and source some original kick panels, even in bad condition. They aren't even close to looking like the original shape, and are not in great condition anyways. I can use a set of OEM ones to make a template and use my router to make a new set, and paint them black.

If you have a tool bag, that'd be great! Just let me know... I am trying to figure out how the tools were laid out behind the seat. The strap I slid the wrench and jack accessory under must be to hold the bag perhaps...

I will keep and eye out for a factory tach, I am sure someone has one they would part with! Haha...

• Like 1
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

talk about hitting the 620 mother load ! 

Nice truck , welcome to the community . 

Man I love those little steps on the side steps . 

Thanks so much. I was actually going to remove those little steps when I repaint under the rockers, and remove the rear bumper as well. Just want to clean up the look of the truck. I have seen those steps in a picture or two in google images when I searched "Datsun 620"...

After a bit of looking and asking around (thanks Facebook 620 group), I just now realized that my radio and surround is not the correct one (remember, I am a noob at these). After looking at all the wiring and the speaker, it's obvious that it was a home job, and this truck must have been sold as 'radio-delete', leaving the previous owner to have his neighbors mechanically-challenged son to install the aftermarket electronics (or some such scenario). I think I might source 2 blank plates, and return it back to that. Also, it will really clean up and simplify the look of the dash.

16947085752_d57bf2051a_b.jpg

Speaking of options, this being a 1978 model, it is equipped with front disc brakes. This truck also has power brakes as well. Did all front disc-brake equipped 620's have power brakes?

• Like 1

The steps and front push bar were a dealer add on and a fairly rare find these days, if you are trying to keep it all original I would leave all that on but if you are going to remove the steps ill take them off your hands.

Ahh, good to know. Next year, when I get to repainting the rockers, I will decide if I will keep them or not... They just might grow on me!  :thumbup:

The brakes are power stock.

Fantastic truck you got there. :cool:

Thanks for that...

The steps, nerf bar, and rear bumper is a dealer "add ons"....Leave em! They are period correct and are hard to find these days!

Good to know. That's why I need you guys! Keep me from making any big mistakes...

man thats a great truck,  i got my truck with full service history and all og paint but his not as clean as yours but his clean

The service history sure is nice, if anything just to verify the mileage throughout the years. Even if the paint is in bad shape, having original paint is such a nice benefit. What you see is what you get...

Since I am a noob, I will have some noob questions, hope you all don't mind bearing with me. I was wondering...

Whats this black box on the passengers side fender contain?

16362594774_82e04cde15_b.jpg

Also, is there a matching VIN-number on the motor block that matches it to the truck, or a serial number on the block stating anything in particular?

There are relays under the black box

Thanks for that! Black box, for relay-ing. I don't see the box under the hood of some of the custom builds. I take it some hide the relays elsewhere?

More to come: some small parts on the way to get this interior back to where it should be...

Below number three or fout spark lugs is a raised boss on the engine block, just below the head. it will read L-20-B, and then a serial number.

That engine number will be on an aluminium plate somewhere in the engine compartment.  I think on the left inner fender, on 620 trucks.

Nevermind, I looked at the under hood plate in your earlier post.  Datsun used to put the engine serial number on the plate

Below number three or fout spark lugs is a raised boss on the engine block, just below the head. it will read L-20-B, and then a serial number.

That engine number will be on an aluminium plate somewhere in the engine compartment.  I think on the left inner fender, on 620 trucks.

Nevermind, I looked at the under hood plate in your earlier post.  Datsun used to put the engine serial number on the plate

Thank you, thank you! It's those little bits of info that are so great to find out. Thanks for sharing...

I have the oem plate that you seem to be looking for if you are willing to get rid of whatever you were replacing with it

Hey Ed: not looking to get rid of anything... Was just wondering if there was/is a serial number anywhere on the truck that corresponds to a matching number on the engine block, tying the two together. (A 'numbers matching' vehicle)

• Like 1

That is quite possibly the cleanest 620 I have ever seen. And such low miles, what a score.

My father in law has a 2 owner '72 240Z tha's all original and beautiful I love originality in a car (or truck).

Wow, that's a fine looking 240z. Is that a time capsule or a restoration? Looks like it's brandy-new.

After being out of the game for about 15 years, and not being in a rush, I could be picky. I wasn't particularly looking for a 620 model (or a Datsun in particular). I just not want any car/truck that had been beat, highly-molested/modified, or was a rust-bucket. It seems (so far, anyways) my patients paid off...!

That being said, I have a few parts coming to return the interior to where it should be. It has an incorrect radio, shift boot is trash, and the kick panels are some home-made jobbers. I still need to find some kick panels, even if they are not in good condition, I can use them as a template and remake them in the correct shape.

I have a thing for stock looking cars/trucks with non-stock engine bays, so this one won't be stock under the hood. I want to learn about dual carb manifolds and carbs, as well as other parts required to de-smog the motor. Also trying to find info on the pro's/con's of dual carbs vs. single carb...

I saw here that there was a particular Cannon dual-carb manifold with a rise in it for the carbs to clear the brake booster in the 620. Anyone know if they are still being made?

• Like 1

Wow, that's a fine looking 240z. Is that a time capsule or a restoration? Looks like it's brandy-new.

After being out of the game for about 15 years, and not being in a rush, I could be picky. I wasn't particularly looking for a 620 model (or a Datsun in particular). I just not want any car/truck that had been beat, highly-molested/modified, or was a rust-bucket. It seems (so far, anyways) my patients paid off...!

That being said, I have a few parts coming to return the interior to where it should be. It has an incorrect radio, shift boot is trash, and the kick panels are some home-made jobbers. I still need to find some kick panels, even if they are not in good condition, I can use them as a template and remake them in the correct shape.

I have a thing for stock looking cars/trucks with non-stock engine bays, so this one won't be stock under the hood. I want to learn about dual carb manifolds and carbs, as well as other parts required to de-smog the motor. Also trying to find info on the pro's/con's of dual carbs vs. single carb...

I saw here that there was a particular Cannon dual-carb manifold with a rise in it for the carbs to clear the brake booster in the 620. Anyone know if they are still being made?

IThe 240z is completely original down to a factory repaired spot weld in the engine bay. You'd have to see it to understand.

I get where you're coming from buying something that's not trash. It's not the money (ok, money has a lot to do with it) it's something else. Some people call it the story, some call it the soul, who knows? Fact is, old cars that have not been molested have something that can't be reproduced...originality.

Again, with the under the hood concept, I too am right there with you. I would go modern with EFI though to completely throw them off. How about a truck KA24 12 valve with a car (240sx) intake. Open the hood and still see Nissan, but not too crazy. Double the stock hp and (somewhat) modern EFI for ease of maintenance.

• Like 1

BTW, I mailed you the tool bag yesterday.

David: I just got it 5 minutes ago from the mailman. Can't thank you enough... what a nice gesture.

17079159725_834af072d8_b.jpg

I have to say: I have had an amazing experience with all the Datsun folk in the last 2 weeks. I can't say enough. From David sending me this tool bag just as a gift, to other members offering to sell me missing parts form their personal stash to compete the missing pieces to my 620. Not to mention taking a moment to answer one of my noob-ish questions as well. Thanks to all!

• Like 3

I get where you're coming from buying something that's not trash. It's not the money (ok, money has a lot to do with it) it's something else. Some people call it the story, some call it the soul, who knows? Fact is, old cars that have not been molested have something that can't be reproduced...originality.

Again, with the under the hood concept, I too am right there with you. I would go modern with EFI though to completely throw them off. How about a truck KA24 12 valve with a car (240sx) intake. Open the hood and still see Nissan, but not too crazy. Double the stock hp and (somewhat) modern EFI for ease of maintenance.

The nice thing about waiting, it allowed me to save more money while I looked. The originality is it, and the well detailed back-story as well. After having close to 30 cars in my 40 years of life (and having little free time at this point), I wanted to start with a 'clean-slate' and not spend countless $ and time fixing previous owners bad decision making (i've been there). I do think old beaters which have passed thru many hands and have been mickey-moused together have lots of soul. I have had many of those, and they are truly one of a kind.

Although, I will have to muck up the originality without a doubt, but for the positive. I will have to address the rocker surface rust, and then eventually pull the truck apart to sand and re-paint the underside of the floors, as well as strip and repaint the frame. Bring it back to 'new' so it will not deteriorate further (and look nice). But, as for the motor, I was thinking of doing as much as I can to the L20B. I will now begin to look for parts to de-smog and run a dual carb setup. Then I pull the truck apart in a few years, then I can maybe think of the motor-swap idea then. It'll be much easier to do when the truck is just a rolling frame.

I like the idea of this truck looking exactly as it does now, with that KA24 sitting in a beautifully pristine and polished engine bay. I am even thinking I could mount 3 mini-guages in the console and use the blank "Datsun" delete plate with some mini-magnets to cover them up. Just pop it off to view them, or cover. Totally stealth.

Now I'm getting excited... 

• Like 2