IR Alternator wiring question

RTB

I saw mike's write up and diagram for the IR switch and regulator delete. However, I have an issue. Only 2 of the wire that are in my harness go anywhere, the white/blue and white/red. The other 4 wires go off to another connector. So I am not sure what wires I should be jumping. I will provide photos soon.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you unplug the external voltage regulator and throw it away, you'll be left with a six-wire connector. Jump two pairs of those wires.

If the old externally-regulated alternator was working before, it doesn't matter if some other connector exists. It may be for choke relay which is tied into the regulator wiring. It is not required to be plugged in.

BKxRVeF.jpg

This is the VR plug. The other wires leading from it just go to a 4 pin plug.

l8FITDL.jpg

These are the wire that connect to the alternator and other various things. One wire in there goes to oil pressure sensor. The black/yellow wire I thought was for auto only so I have no clue what its for.

BKxRVeF.jpg

This is the VR plug. The other wires leading from it just go to a 4 pin plug.

Trim the wires on the voltage regulator as long as you can. Poke out the ones not needed. Separate these two pairs... White/Red stripe and White/Black stripe.... and ... solid White and solid Yellow....

100ampAltimaaltswap029Large.jpg

Solder the two pairs together and seal with heat shrink tubing.  No just plug the voltage regulator plug into your engine harness. No spare wires to touch anything.

100ampAltimaaltswap026Large.jpg

I think I'm starting to figure it out, my harness is really strange in that area. Like it doesn't have a T connector or anything. Like the 4 pin plug is supposed to go to the alternator I guess?

Maybe. I have some auto engine harnesses but this one was a manual so I figured I would have to do less deleting on this one. I've figured out how to wire it up thanks to Mike and Joel. Now I'm trying to figure out the dash to engine connection. I have an extra 6 pin connection, but that should be the one that goes to the auto relay so it can be tucked up to do nothing. The other is is a 3 pin connector that is green/yellow, white/green, and blue/black and I have no connection for it. Likewise, I have a lone extra wire on the engine side that is white/green. So it will be an interesting puzzle to say the least, unless I just take an auto harness and start deleting stuff.