410 Headlight relay and Parking lights (help)

pl521sss

I'm stomped (again)

I don't get why the headlight turns "ON" when light switch is pulled at the first setting\toggle.

Not only that the headlight turns ON, all 4 headlights are ON.

Is this by the design?

Second problem:

Parking lights won't turn ON for the front and rear.

Front and rear parking lights are 2 different wiring (green\blue and green\white) and I confirmed it will light up when I jump the wires straight to positive of battery.

So lamps and wiring checked ok.

Is this a faulty headlight relay that causes all headlights to be ON and not the parking lights?

Hope I explained it well enough. 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be wired wrong. could be a bad switch.  A bad relay usually won't do what you described, but one with the wires mixed up might.  High beams should only come on with headlights in full "on" position AND the high beam switch turned on.  You didn't say what happens when the high beam switch is toggled.  You didn't say if things change between the PARK and Headlight switch settings either.

With a 410 the 1st switch setting should be parking lights + tail lights (headlights off).  The 2nd position should be headlights + tail lights (parking lights OFF).  If someone tried to rewire it to make the parking lights come on with the headlights (which was a 1969+ change to the lighting regulations, something no 410 would have stock) they may have screwed it up.  That doesn't explain why the high beams are on though. 

Are the 4 beams on at full intensity?  I've seen when one of the "legs" is not hooked up (usually a broken ground) the lights end up grounding through the high beam filament, when makes the lights all come on at half brightness (since they're only getting ~6V each due to it being basically a series circuit instead of a parallel one).   Way to check that is, when all 4 beams are on, unplug the main beams at the bulb.  If unplugging one (or both) of the main beams causes the high beams to turn off, you have an open circuit in the system, usually an open ground to the main beams.  If they stay on, the high beam circuit is active (high beam switch is ON, or the relay is bad if the high beam toggle really is off).

• Like 1

Not a faulty relay. Faulty wiring, connected wrong is more like it.

The switch at 2nd position should ground only the parking light circuit. At 3rd position, only.ground parking + the headlight ground wire. Sounds like the two grounds are swapped.

Could be wired wrong. could be a bad switch.  A bad relay usually won't do what you described, but one with the wires mixed up might.  High beams should only come on with headlights in full "on" position AND the high beam switch turned on.  You didn't say what happens when the high beam switch is toggled.  You didn't say if things change between the PARK and Headlight switch settings either.

With a 410 the 1st switch setting should be parking lights + tail lights (headlights off).  The 2nd position should be headlights + tail lights (parking lights OFF).  If someone tried to rewire it to make the parking lights come on with the headlights (which was a 1969+ change to the lighting regulations, something no 410 would have stock) they may have screwed it up.  That doesn't explain why the high beams are on though. 

Are the 4 beams on at full intensity?  I've seen when one of the "legs" is not hooked up (usually a broken ground) the lights end up grounding through the high beam filament, when makes the lights all come on at half brightness (since they're only getting ~6V each due to it being basically a series circuit instead of a parallel one).   Way to check that is, when all 4 beams are on, unplug the main beams at the bulb.  If unplugging one (or both) of the main beams causes the high beams to turn off, you have an open circuit in the system, usually an open ground to the main beams.  If they stay on, the high beam circuit is active (high beam switch is ON, or the relay is bad if the high beam toggle really is off).

Thank you for taking the time to write this up.

I need to read this few more times to understand what you mean and follow through with more troubleshooting.

The lights switch on first and second position automatically turns on all 4 headlights and not the running lights on either position.

I toggled the high beam switch on all settings and does not seem to change the brightness or turn off the high beams.

I had someone check the lights switch to make sure the internal contacts are working.

Here's a picture of the relay and compared it to the wiring diagram from this link.

http://www.olddatsuns.com/data/411schematic.pdf

20150324_175557_20150325081709054_zps7at

relay_zpsptxzhcq8.jpg