Header flange L20b

Was wondering if anyone has header flanges for sale to make custom headers, thought I saw some on a thread a while back but can't seem to find it, didn't find anything in classifieds, any help is appreciated. I'm trying to build a header for my turbo l20 for my 620 and the crown header I have is gonna make the turbo run into my steering column

• Like 1
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get a header, but only a couple of companies still make them, so they charge outrageous prices! It has been said many times on here the best bet is a non emissions L16 exhaust manifold combined with an L16 Intake manifold. Even your L20B manifold looks similar to a 4/2/1 header. It can be removed and bored out for more performance.

There's SPD in Sacramento, there's Stainless Works in OH, but there's one other shop I know that does nice custom header flanges cheap. I just can't remember their name. It will come ot me.

I would build a stainless header for a turbo. You're going to have a substantial time investment in this project. It would be a shame to have the header wear out before you're finished!

• Like 2

What does it take to weld stainless, and would a regular exhaust shop carry it

You need a TIG welder and ER308 rod to weld 304 stainless. You could use a MIG, but why hack it?

For cheap stainless tubing, mandrel bends, collectors, etc I go to Columbia River Mandrel Bending in Oregon http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/. For top quality stuff I buy from SPD in Sac http://www.spdexhaust.com/. The difference in quality is noticeable but not crucial. The price discount at Columbia River is usually the deciding factor, SPD cost about twice as much, sometimes more.

It usually takes between 3 and 4 U-Bends to make a header, but if it's a shorty Turbo header you may get away with less. Heck a 16 ga, 1.63 diameter U-Bend at Columbia River is only $20 so an extra piece of tubing wouldn't kill you.

You could have an exhaust shop build the header, but if you have a band saw or a grinder with .045" cutoff wheels you can mock it up and tack weld it with a MIG at home and then bring it to a welding shop to have it all burned together.

Your going to want a THICK flange for a turbo header. There is way more pressure in a turbo header than N/A engine header. Plus, hanging a turbo off of it will bend thin flanges. Mine is 1/2". Nobody that I know of sells one so I had to make it myself.

You do want stainless tubing. 304 is good, but 321 is better at elevated temps. Get the thickest you can find. I got mine off eGay. .088 wall. Search for "thick stainless mandrel bends"

Weld els are also a good option...

Columbia River sells tubing as thick as 11 ga (.120" thick). They offer 18, 16, 14 and 11 gauge.

They also sell 1/2" thick stainless flanges. http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/flanges-gaskets-36/turbo-flanges-62/

Also offered are a bunch of Nissan header flanges, but none listed for the L motor. http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/flanges-gaskets-36/header-flanges-194/nissan-195/

• Like 2

Wow! I completely overlooked the link to the 11ga at the bottom of the page!!! I'll be adding this to my bookmarks.

You wouldn't by chance know anyone that's sells inconel at a reasonable price? Best price I could find was $300 for just one u bend. I built my whole header for about half that.

• Like 1

Lol!! Nope, just a Datsun.

My goal on my truck is to get as little turbo lag as possible, and decent mid-range power. My first idea was to run a t3-t4 hybrid and incorporate and program the TEC for a small, switchable, anti-lag system like in rally. Seeing the price of inconel I said screw it, and got a T-3 super 60 instead.

The exhaust temps. Anti-lag systems shifts combustion from the cylinders, to the header. This is done by running extremely retarded timing (up to 40* ATDC) additional fuel, and diverting charge air directly into the header. Stainless would just melt doing this.

Been wanting to experiment with ALS ever since I heard about it. I wasn't planning anything as extreme as above. Maybe just the retarted timing, or perhaps high idle, and skipping the ignition on every other cylinder event.

• 3 weeks later...

Anti-lag...are you talking about backfire spooling? I've done a ton of reading on the idea, I think it's pretty sweet. I'm under the impression wear and tear is ridiculous from it though. That being said, I seriously want to see a datsun truck hauling ass and slam-banging away between shifts, scaring the Hell out of people.

• Like 1

Thats just an off throttle fireball.. Many many race cars that are NA do that.

And +1 for spd, they make nice shit.

And if your building an anti lag system that puts that much heat in the exaust, i hope you have exhaust valves made out of indestructanium. That is all.

Absolutley you can get the fire effet fron n/a cars. The car pictured used the VG turbo motor that was used in the Nissan GTP cars in the day. Look right next to the fireball is the wastegate exhaust. Its just a cool as fk ride!

From 1985 to 1987, the Electramotive-developed GTP ZX-Turbo was raced in the IMSA GT Championship's GTP class and also the All Japan Sports Prototype Championship, badged as a Fairlady Z, using a Lola T810 chassis and a VG30ET engine. Following development through 1987, the car would become dominant in IMSA GT in 1988. Additional factory endorsement, combined with a new chassis, transmission and more reliable Goodyear tires contributed to the team's success. The SOHC VG30ET was making upwards of 1,000 hp (700 kW), with a power band that extended from 4000 to 9000 rpm on a single turbo.[22]

220px-Cunningham_300ZX.jpg

The Clayton Cunningham Racing 300ZX which won the 1994 24 Hours of Daytona

From 1990 to 1995, Steve Millen drove the twin turbo 300ZX for Clayton Cunningham Racing. The car dominated the IMSA in its GTO, then later GTS categories due to its newly designed chassis and engine. Millen would rank as the #1 Factory Driver for Nissan for 7 years and earn two IMSA GTS Driving Championships and two IMSA GTS Manufacturer's Championships. Among enthusiasts and the team themselves, the biggest triumph for the race Z32 was the victory in the 24 Hours of Daytona. In the same year at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the 300ZX ranked first in the GTS-1 class and 5th overall. In an attempt to level the playing field in the GTS-1 class by reducing the allowable horsepower, the IMSA declared the twin turbo VG engine ineligible.[9] The 1995 GTS 300ZX car would debut with the V8 Nissan VH engine at Daytona[23] and would place first in the GTS-1 class at the 12 Hours of Sebring and Mosehead Grand Prix in Halifax.[24]

Back on track here, Stahl used to sell flanges and make arguably the best headers. Sadly, they are going out of buisness. They have sold alot of stuff to ACP in PA.

http://www.stahlheaders.com/

http://www.stahlheaders.com/flanges_main.htm

click on 4cyl on the left, maybe they still have some?