What Gas/ Motor Oil do you use in your z?

m54daboll

hey everyone.  Doing a project for my statistics class and need some data.  Of course I have to make it related to z's haha.  Just wondering what brand gasoline and motor oil you use.  For motor oil, it doesn't matter about viscosity, just the brand.  

I use:

Gas: Chevon 91 Octane

Motor Oil: Mobil 1 Full Synthetic

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful, old engines need old oils.  Specifically, anti wear ingredients like phosphorus, and zinc compounds.  The compound is abbreviated ZDDP.   

On high milage engines, that burn a little oil, these compounds can poison a catalytic converter, so the level of then was reduced in modern oils.  Engine manufacturers changed engine designs to not require oils with anti wear ingredients.

So, modern engines, modern oils.  Older engine, you need the higher level of ZDDP.

My oil of choice is Valvoline VR-1 racing oil.

I do not know enough about the ignition timing controls on a 280 ZX to recommend a gasoline choice.  See what the owners manual says, if you have one.

Be careful, old engines need old oils.  Specifically, anti wear ingredients like phosphorus, and zinc compounds.  The compound is abbreviated ZDDP.   

On high milage engines, that burn a little oil, these compounds can poison a catalytic converter, so the level of then was reduced in modern oils.  Engine manufacturers changed engine designs to not require oils with anti wear ingredients.

Gas: Chevron

Oil: Chevron

gas: whatever is available

Oil :  Shell  Rotella

Chevron Delo 400 or Shell Rotella T are 'light' diesel oils which still have a reasonable amount of ZDDP in them. I run Delo 400 15-40 but if it wasn't available then the Shell. Your zx is the same L series of engine as used in the '68 510. If you run a synthetic oil that's fine but they tend to leak past old gaskets and worn seals where ordinary dinosaur oils do not. 

Gas is gas the L20B doesn't care.

Oil companies say that the original ZDDP level was far above what was needed back then and that the newer formulation, now close to half as much... should still work and give the needed scuff protection. Well, as much as I totally believe them, it's my car and I'm not taking the chance.

• 1 month later...

Same as m54daboli. Then again, the LS1 in my car requires 91 Octane with a 10.5 CR vs the stock L28 at around 8.5 which can run fine on 87 Octane all day long.

Oil is Mobil 1 synthetic.  Been running it in the car since I put the LS1 in in 2003.  Prior to that it was Castrol 10W-40 in the L28.

• 1 month later...

I run 93 octane (Texas)

oil I usually run Castrol 10w-40 with 1 quart of Rislone ZDDP additive. As stated above, none of the newer shelf oils (aside from Valvoline VR1, Amsoil, and some Royal Purples) have the proper ZDDP amount in them for flat tappet valve trains anymore. Everyone is running roller valve train which doesn't require as much ZDDP.

-83 Turbo 280zx L28

• 3 months later...