Rack and pinion exploration. Building a bolt in conversion

Icehouse

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff:

This thread is very, very interesting. If I were doing a 510 build I would definitely like to start with one of these. However, my interest is in the 521 and 620s right now. Have you and Sam given any thought to building a R&P assembly for a pickup platform?

Back to the 510 assembly you do offer, the point of this thread. What amount of lowering from stock is this set up for?

Would this work well on a stock height wagon? How about a modestly lowered wagon? My county has very rough roads and I often drive up to some rural areas. Some reasonable amount of ground clearance is probably more important to me than others who want to skim the pavement at an autocross:)

Lastly, you have a power rack in your beige coupe, but it appears you are running this manual ATM. What if the steering effort like no a power rack with no pump, vs a manual rack? What is the steering effort like on a good condition 510 steering box setup vs the manual R&P?  Thanks.

• Like 1

Ol 320, redeye started a discussion on one for a 620 a little while back you might be interested in reading. No work was started on it, but there's a lot of interesting information stuffed in there.

• Like 2

man so many questions lol.

looks legit.

so if i get the complete does it come with lca's and the rack? (as pictured) if so that's a damn deal. but......will it work with my VG is the million dollar question. was there any testing with that motor.....hate to spend that much on that pretty hardware and have to cut it up at all. motor mounts no biggie. i just don't wanna have to cut the crossmember.

holla at me lol!

Well that's one hell of a deal. Great job! I'm honestly amazed at this and I'm beyond looking forward to doing this. In roughly four or five months, I'll be picking one up but it's tough to decide if I want a manual or have the luxury of going through and getting electric assist.

Ok, if I go for the Power assist version.. what year, make and model choices do I have to start looking at the junk yards.. I still can't find the freaking infiniti M30 strut tubes so I can swap for the ones I have in my 69 datsun 510 which I also I want to upgrade the front brakes too with the z32 front calipers, meanwhile I need to know the list of what type of rack should I look for year make and model, if I go power assist version. But if it's much easier to find and cheaper to find the rack for manual version.. I can do that too. I don't think manual racks isn't so bad, I have a 1995 civic hatchback and no power steering but when I'm doing over 50mph I don't feel like I need power steering cus it's 2050 lbs in my hatch civic, but my dad's car 2800 lbs civic sedan yeah he has power steering cus of the weight. In my hatch 2tons no power steering at 50mph don't feel like I need power steering car it's already light like my datsun 510 sedan similar weight, or is it maybe because my hatch civic it's a FWD+light no need for power steering or isn't the same feeling for a RWD+2ton... just over thinking probably but if a car that is under 2000-1900 lbs it's there any need for power steering for a car that it's already that much light at the str8 line 1/4 mile track or autoX/autocross. Maybe I'm doing too much push-ups 300 every morning that's my power steering lol..

Jeff:

This thread is very, very interesting. If I were doing a 510 build I would definitely like to start with one of these. However, my interest is in the 521 and 620s right now. Have you and Sam given any thought to building a R&P assembly for a pickup platform?

Back to the 510 assembly you do offer, the point of this thread. What amount of lowering from stock is this set up for?

Would this work well on a stock height wagon? How about a modestly lowered wagon? My county has very rough roads and I often drive up to some rural areas. Some reasonable amount of ground clearance is probably more important to me than others who want to skim the pavement at an autocross:)

Lastly, you have a power rack in your beige coupe, but it appears you are running this manual ATM. What if the steering effort like no a power rack with no pump, vs a manual rack? What is the steering effort like on a good condition 510 steering box setup vs the manual R&P?  Thanks.

Yeah it will work on a modestly low 510, although I can't honestly say the max ride height.  You would have to check the articulation and see how it works out.  Maybe later on I will try and check it.  Really articulation is the only worry, the inner tie rods on the rack have less articulation than the stock steering box tie rods. 

man so many questions lol.

looks legit.

so if i get the complete does it come with lca's and the rack? (as pictured) if so that's a damn deal. but......will it work with my VG is the million dollar question. was there any testing with that motor.....hate to spend that much on that pretty hardware and have to cut it up at all. motor mounts no biggie. i just don't wanna have to cut the crossmember.

holla at me lol!

It comes with crossmember, motor mounts, and steering arms.  Wow we really need to change the pictures on the web page.  haha  

I'm not sure if it will work with the VG.  I'll be working on a VG soon and will try and test fit it.  this won't be for a few months.  I hear you on the cutting it up.  I do think there is a front sump oil pan.  I will get that and try it.  

Ok, if I go for the Power assist version.. what year, make and model choices do I have to start looking at the junk yards.. I still can't find the freaking infiniti M30 strut tubes so I can swap for the ones I have in my 69 datsun 510 which I also I want to upgrade the front brakes too with the z32 front calipers, meanwhile I need to know the list of what type of rack should I look for year make and model, if I go power assist version. But if it's much easier to find and cheaper to find the rack for manual version.. I can do that too. I don't think manual racks isn't so bad, I have a 1995 civic hatchback and no power steering but when I'm doing over 50mph I don't feel like I need power steering cus it's 2050 lbs in my hatch civic, but my dad's car 2800 lbs civic sedan yeah he has power steering cus of the weight. In my hatch 2tons no power steering at 50mph don't feel like I need power steering car it's already light like my datsun 510 sedan similar weight, or is it maybe because my hatch civic it's a FWD+light no need for power steering or isn't the same feeling for a RWD+2ton... just over thinking probably but if a car that is under 2000-1900 lbs it's there any need for power steering for a car that it's already that much light at the str8 line 1/4 mile track or autoX/autocross. Maybe I'm doing too much push-ups 300 every morning that's my power steering lol..

on the web sight there is a picture showing the rack and years it comes out of.  I can't quote it because for sure I'll get it wrong! haha.  Yeah the M30 struts aren't easy to find!  I've only had a few sets over the years.  I always have a eye out for them!  Honestly I daily drive my 510 and as of now I still don't have the power hooked up and it's not all that bad even at low speeds.  I also have a pretty small steering wheel.  The only reason I want to try the power is because it might, just might make me a little faster on the track when we run the tight courses.  Anything to win a race!  I've thought about exercising too!  Haha.  My daughter is 14 and weights about 100ish lbs and believe it or not my car is noticeable faster when she gets out for a lap.  hmm if I could loose a couple lbs it would help my lap time :) 

• Like 2

Wow, another awesome piece! But, I will have to wait for the VG info as well. 

If you use the front sump pan it will.  

if it helps my pan is front sump as well as i already have my cross member flipped. if we can figure this out id totally be into getting one. peace of mind for me goes a lonnnnnnnnnnng way lol!

Yep just need the front sump pan.  

Maybe I missed this earlier in the thread....what about motor mounts for a L-series? 

Sam has a L motor in his car.  He still has the prototype stuff in it.  So who knows when we can make so legit stuff.   Soon though.  

By any chance will this work on a RHD 510 with a RHD MR2 rack? 

Yes we are going to make a batch of RHD crossmember.  

Yes, but you'll have to sit upside down while driving. :lol:

It actually looks symmetrical, so it should accommodate RHD components.

Not quite symmetric.  Close though!  

Guess What!  We just installed the Rack and pinion on a S15 SR and it went great.  Here are some pictures of the clearance.  The only thing we had to modify was the turbo drain :(  It went straight into the steering shaft.  Besides that it turned out really nice!  I'm not sure how well the power unit would fit.  The manual unit fits great though!  It's really cool having all the stock sheet metal fit.  Plus all the stock exhaust doesn't have exhaust leak issues like all the aftermarket stuff out there.  

QJLHaj7.jpg

BM1OLlS.jpg

GKyaQKe.jpg

3bHF0dc.jpg

WBC7x3d.jpg

KxcJDck.jpg

3cTKnMw.jpg

QlhI4qP.jpg

N64fclQ.jpg

YHDf7Xi.jpg

• Like 2