Rack and pinion exploration. Building a bolt in conversion

Icehouse

Very nice website. I'm cheap and even I think that's a solid price. :)

One note I would make about the website. Nowhere did I see anything about this requiring a front sump conversion. On the product page, I would make sure to note that.

• Like 1
  • Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn this rear set up! :lol:

Jeff, how much shorter are the "short" steering arms?

Oh man, and you're making the cross member sandwich plates!

The shortened arms currently available are 32mm shorter from ball joint taper to tie rod taper. These compensate for the shorter throw of the rack and pinion compared to the stock steering box.

The manual rack will have about the same lock-to-lock as the stock 3 turns. The power rack will have closer to 2.5 turns. The manual rack also has an aftermarket quick steer gear set sold by Quaife which should bring it down to 2.5 as well.

• Like 2

Another question, will this kit allow for the use of a stock style SR turbo manifold?

We haven't tested it.  Hopefully it does.  The rack and pinion setups I built in the past did.  We should know in a few weeks.  A local friend has a S15 SR we are installing a setup in.  

Interested also! Ive always wanted an R&P set-up.

Not to try and overly sell our product but it was fun driving a friends car at Canby.  A very well sorted car, they just aren't the same without crisp steering.  He drove my car and loved it.  Well besides the vibration from the stupid axles.  haha.   

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Looking really nice!  I know you guys are very busy but any ETA on the manual setup and extra short arms?

Not sure.  Not to far in the future.  Sam really wants them for his car.  As of now my CNC mill broke so no more prototypes until I get it fixed.  

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello guy's what's up.. oh man that's 1 hell of a project, great job guys. I have a question. What's the pro's and con's, from the manual version vs the power assist version racks. 1 it's easier to find parts or better handling performance or more durable or less headaches.1 it's more for daily and the other better for race track, AutoX...

• Like 1

^^ this. but power assist is very appealing to me mainly for the wow factor..im undecided on which to pick my self. Not that I need it nor can really justify spending a pretty penny on something like that, but things just kinda worked out to where I can get my hands on a kit. Same deal on how I got my ATP short shifter(Sexiest thing about the car).

• Like 1

My ass has just been kicked onto a new level of impressed. What a great process from design, test, refinement, production, and marketing. ALL DONE IN AMERICA BRO!  Hope you are marketing them on the Realm as well.

Looking forward to trailing arms next?

• Like 1

^^ this. but power assist is very appealing to me mainly for the wow factor..im undecided on which to pick my self. Not that I need it nor can really justify spending a pretty penny on something like that, but things just kinda worked out to where I can get my hands on a kit. Same deal on how I got my ATP short shifter(Sexiest thing about the car).

Mmmmm ATP shifter, fucking love mine.

• Like 1

Hello guy's what's up.. oh man that's 1 hell of a project, great job guys. I have a question. What's the pro's and con's, from the manual version vs the power assist version racks. 1 it's easier to find parts or better handling performance or more durable or less headaches.1 it's more for daily and the other better for race track, AutoX...

My reason for wanting power assist is simply, my arms get tired at the track and I feel I sacrifice precision for maximum feedback from the manual rack.  As of now my power still isn't hooked up.  Some corners autoXing I literally have to use all my might to turn the corner.  It seems to me with a little assistance I could maximize corner speeds with a more controlled entrance and exit.  

Plus its more stable down the highway since the power dampens feedback slightly. 

• Like 2

Drove my dime to work . stopped to get coffee and all I could think about was how hard it is to drive my car one handed.

I wish I had a rack

Probably cheaper to go Electric assist.

Or do both.

My plan is a Quaife quick rack kit for the MR2 rack, and electric assist.

• Like 1