510- no electrical power

68 510

Battery hooked up, Not grounding out anywhere. All my lights used to work.

None of the fucking lights turn on now. I have no working headlights, tailights, or dashlights. I get a sudden flickr from the right arrow dash light when i pull the "flash" knob, but thats the only light I get WTF. I'm about to be over with this car 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Clean the plug in connection to the fuse box, replace all the fuses, make sure all plug in connection plugs are clean, do you have a good ground from battery to body

Alright I'll clean the plugs, pretty dirty in fact. And yeah, my ground wire is fastened to the block.

Electricity is invisible. Get a $5 tester....

circuittestlight.jpg

Put alligator clip on any ground and touch any bare wire or fuse with the other end and if there's power it lights up.

Power can't flow if the circuit from the positive battery post all the way out and back to the negative post is open in any way. Any interruption of good contact and the circuit is broken. The Ground on block may be fine but either off the battery posts are loose or corroded it won't work. Changing fuses and cleaning contacts is good, but a lot of guess work if power isn't even getting there. Use a meter or a test lamp to 'see' whats there or not

• Like 2

Fusible link. Right off the starter, feeds the fuse box with power. Without it working (mine died by the terminals breaking off inside the plastic connectors), you have no power to anything.

This is what I was going to say.

I'm about to be over with this car

I'll take it off your hands

• Like 1

WTF. I'm about to be over with this car 

Clark's third law states "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

I assure you the 510 technology is not 'magic' although you might think so sometimes. The most complicated electronics in it, is in the radio. The alternator and charging system is next and that's about it. The rest is wires, fuses and lamps. Get that test lamp and you'll be able to 'see' where the power is or isn't. A famous member here once said "Datsuns are easy!!!! If you can't get one to start and keep it going.... sell it and get a honduh".

• Like 1

Fusible link. Right off the starter, feeds the fuse box with power. Without it working (mine died by the terminals breaking off inside the plastic connectors), you have no power to anything.

Yeah I'm going to check with the tester light and check the fusible link. Thanks guys, this got me a little discouraged because it happened out of no where during this build ! ! Good thing this happened to me, usefull learning experience.

• Like 1

Electricity is invisible. Get a $5 tester....

Put alligator clip on any ground and touch any bare wire or fuse with the other end and if there's power it lights up.

I checked and half my fuse box gets power, the first three plugs on the left side (white to red, green/ white, and red/blue), which are bridged together.

But the right side, other 3 plugs on both sides get no power :/

Also checked the fusible link, and its good continuity from one end to other.

I checked and half my fuse box gets power, the first three plugs on the left side (white to red, green/ white, and red/blue), which are bridged together.

But the right side, other 3 plugs on both sides get no power :/

Also checked the fusible link, and its good continuity from one end to other.

"Got power" because they're essential power circuits!  i.e. DIRECTLY CONNECTED to the battery! The "other" circuits are only powered up when the alternator is putting out correct curent and voltage!  You have an alternator or voltage regulator problem.

• Like 1

on a 68, the headlights have power all the time, direct battery power. check at the headlights for power on 1 of the 3 prongs. your headlights are grounded through the headlight relay and then headlight switch. this is a lot of power or the headlight switch and some of the traces inside may be burnt up.

• Like 2

on my 71 510 all 3 prongs will have power on them from the batter via the fusable link to the starter lug.

use a cheap CHINESE test light. Its has to be from China! place aligator end on chassis then place the pointy end on the 3 prongs. the test lamp should light if not then you have a pwer proplem. If it does light up then you have a issue of a ground signal not making it to the 3 prong connector.

Most times this is corrossion. a 510 wiring isnt all that hard but Im not a 68 expert as these were slightly different but basic same layout

ps alwasy ck to make sure the lamp is OK also so you dont look like a idiot

side arker lights are run off a switchable power so if you dont get that also then I would look at the power feeding the fuse box and going back out.

volt reg has a ground and soemone said there is a ground by the hood relase but never really remebered on that one.

maybe under fuase box the connectors are rotted

• Like 1

Okay so today I tested the Light Switch(continuity test) and Head Light Relay, both Good. 

I get good continuity/power from the battery to the:

-fuse box : to voltage regulator

: to light swicth

: to ignition switch                so all switches / relays  working !

That still leaves me to question why my dash lights don't turn on anymore(the direct from light switch) But I haven't tested them yet, My dash Is disconnected from my car.

I will also test tomorrow if my headlights even get power still