510 Master Cyl. in a 1200

KEWL510

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, why not. 1200 master is only $55, but 510 is a little cheaper.

510 master is 3/4 and you'll have to adapt the pushrod. A larger master cylinder will generate LESS pressure but the pedal will be STIFFER. Because there is less pressure, you have to push harder on the pedal to make it stop the same. Many guys prefer the stiffer pedal.

This may not be much of an answer but, 11/16 is M/C bore of 1200 vs 3/4 for 510, 1200 has 11/16 rear wheels cylinders and 510 are 13/16, front calipers differ 50mm for the 510 and 48mm for the 1200. Having said all that 1984 Pulsar NX has 3/4 MC bore 48mm caliper and 11/16 rear wheel cylinders Note: Pulsar rear push out both sides of cylinder, 1200's just one side! AND Pulsar NX runs power brake booster.

IF:It bolts up AND IF the stroke/push rods travel the same for both 510 and 1200 M/C it MAY work- it may take a slight more pedal pressure. because of the very small difference in the front calipers piston bores. The cost new for either M/C is about the same on Rockauto.com

A smaller diameter master (or the correct stock one) will increase the pressure at the expense of extra travel. The pedal may travel farther and seem 'mushy' compared to a larger diameter replacement, but also you have better fine control or modulation of your brake lock up.

My '74 had 3/4" but it was bad. I could only find a 13/16" in my parts stash. The pedal is noticeably firm. It's an automatic so you do have to hold the brakes at a stop and it is a bit of work. I compare this to my '76 when it had the stock 3/4" master in it. If you had never driven the other you wouldn't notice it, but much firmer.