CRG Junior Kart

Alright I got a decent deal on a kart frame, and a good deal on a little 4 stroke engine. I have been attempting to do all of this on the cheap so bare with me if you don't like something. Here are some pictures so far, and in the next post I start my timelapses. Let me just tell everyone that doesn't do the timelapse thing. It can be great, not only do I get a little video in the end that I like I also have thousands of pictures of my projects and so I go through and pick a dozen or so every few days to keep and delete the rest after I make the videos. It has helped me on more than a few occasions.

When I first got the kart, some of the parts, and the work I have done over the past few days.

20150307_103854.jpg

20150307_103846.jpg

20150307_103835.jpg

First%20Days%204.jpg

First%20Days%201.jpg

The Engine and Clutch

First%20Days%202.jpg

How the nerf Bar I created started.

First%20Days%203.jpg

Into some Engine work, I removed the governor from the engine, and changed the nasty oil.

GOv%20DIs%201.jpg

GOv%20DIs%202.jpg

GOv%20DIs%203.jpg

GOv%20DIs%204.jpg

GOv%20DIs%205.jpg

I got a rear gear, as well as you can see the nerf bar I created.

Gear%20Install.jpg

Motor plate Template. It is supposed to be a 2 cycle with the clutch on the outside. I made due.

CHalked%20Template.jpg

Template.jpg

Template%20in%20place.jpg

Template%20in%20place2.jpg

Mount.jpg

Template%20Cut.jpg

Finished%20Template.jpg

Mount%202.jpg

Sitting In Place!

MOck.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its the green shells you really have to look out for, they roam free.

Green shells? Fuck that, watch out for the winged blue shells of death, those fuckers chase yo ass! XD I've always wanted one of these, I hear some these things can do upwards of 80 to 90mph but that is with a certain engine and gearbox setup. You got to post a vid of your run test run!

• Like 1

So I am uploading the next timelapse now. I will get it all posted along with some pictures tomorrow. I still have to do several things really before the kids can ride the kart regularly, because this is for my kids not me. I have to make a chain guard, and get them a helmet at least. I haven't tested it, but with the gears and max RPM of this engine ungoverned it will do 40MPH, though I intentionally chose a lower power motor to keep the acceleration lower. I will probably take it for a test ride tomorrow with my helmet. In the latest time lapse you can see that I got it running and took it for a little spin in front of the house.

Here is the timelapse, I got it running that day, though I think after the test drive I realize I should have got a more toothed gear to make it accelerate a bit faster and just sacrifice top speed. Live and learn I will get some different gears.

Also sorry I let Youtube stabalize this video I promise I didn't once go to warp though it felt a bit like that watching the video.

• Like 1

Here are a couple close ups from the videos above. I had to make a chain tensioner to push the motor back in its mount. ALso had to use a chain breaker (first time) that thing really works well.

The motor platform

Tensioner%202.jpg

Tensioner%203.jpg

Tensioner%206.jpg

Tensioner%208.jpg

Tensioner%207.jpg

Tensioner%204.jpg

Tensioner%205.jpg

Routing the throttle cable, and tach input.

Tensioner%201.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know how it was set up I got it as a frame, if I had to make a guess it was a pavement racer. The engine I put on it is way less than ideal, but we will make it work for a while at least. It is way to slow in the take off. It is back on the ground and the kids has driven it around a couple times.. Pictures below. Since I posted last time I made an engine tensioner, and let the kids drive it a few times. It is fun, but WAY TO SLOW. I also picked up a kart for Dad :D

Chain Guard Failure! The sign was to brittle it didn't bend it just split.

ChainFail%201.jpg

ChainFail%203.jpg

ChainFail%204.jpg

ChainFail%205.jpg

ChainFail%206.jpg

ChainFail%207.jpg

This one I built out of a lighter metal that I could bend.

ChainWin%202.jpg

ChainWin%204.jpg

ChainWin%203.jpg

ChainWin%201.jpg

ChainWin%205.jpg

Ready to roll!

ChainWin%206.jpg