Electric fuel pump for 521?

djwarp

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Did you check the rim off set first??? This is how far in or out the tire sits when bolted to the axle. Too far out and the fenders may come down on the tire tread on bumps, and two things can happen. The fender is ruined or the tire gets a groove worn in it. In addition dirt gets thrown up all over the body. Too far in, rubs the frame on turns or the leaf springs on the back.

A 521 runs 6:00 14 tires. This is similar to today's 175/70R14 185/70R14 range so the tire will be about 24" tall. To keep your speedometer accurate and also not to disrupt the overall gearing and making the 521 sluggish on acceleration you would want a 15" tire that is also about 24" tall but also wide enough for the rims.

The 15x10 will take a 235/50R15 for 9.25" wide or 260/45R15 for 10.25" wide. This is quite wide, so I hope you checked the fit first. Both are just over 24" tall and your acceleration and speedometer will be unaffected.

The 15x7 will take a 180/65R15 at 7.09" wide or 195/60R15 at 7.5" wide.

Confirm your stock tire diameter. If taller than 24" diameter those tires may need to be different.

• Like 2

if i remember correctly the oil pan gasket isnt the easiest to do, i think the best way is to un bolt the motor mounts and lift the engine 2-4 more in.

Come on guys, it's a 521, jack it up, take out the cross member (4 bolts), maybe drop the idler arm, no motor mounts, drop the pan ...

• Like 1

I have a 195/65r15 on 8" wheels. Same diameter as stock.

521 with 3" blocks. Sit perfectly. Tiny poke. Barely notice any stretch at all. 

185/65 for the 7s. 215/55 for the backs? As long as you can get both as close to that 24.1" figure you'll be good. 

Somewhere I ran across a stretched tire calculator with specs and pictures. Can't find it now. 

As for the wheels, anything close/past 4.5" backspace will start hitting things. 

Measure twice; modify once. 

• Like 1

Download this 521 Factory Service Manual and save it to a DVD or a CD for future use.  This way way can print pages as needed or study as needed.

http://datsun510.com/manuals/Service_Manual_Datsun_Pick-Up_Model_521_Series_Chassis_and_Body.pdf

Nice truck and you are doing great in the learning!

• Like 1

Download this 521 Factory Service Manual and save it to a DVD or a CD for future use.  This way way can print pages as needed or study as needed.

http://datsun510.com/manuals/Service_Manual_Datsun_Pick-Up_Model_521_Series_Chassis_and_Body.pdf

Nice truck and you are doing great in the learning!

Thanks Charlie but i bought the haynes manual already.

• Like 1

Haynes manuals are only just.... ok.

The Nissan factory service manual (FSM) is the bible when it comes to specs and info. Where do you think Haynes get's theirs? In addition Haynes tends to lump all years of 520 and 521 together and are less specific. The 521 FSM for your year is completely and only for your year. The FSM is easily twice as thick as the Haynes and has oodles of pictures and diagrams on how to maintain and fix your truck.

• Like 1

Agree with tanker. Get rims that fit the tire within the finder lip or raise the truck ridiculously high so the body will never hit them on bumps. You'll need power steering to park that truck with tires that wide. I had 235/75R14s that were 9" wide then 10.5 X 31s on my 620 (with 4" body lift and torsion bars maxed out) when parking I had to find places where I could drive in and just drive away from. A gorilla would have had trouble parallel parking that thing.

This is what happens when the tire stick out past the fender.

PICT0020-1.jpg

• Like 2

How's about don't raise it at all and throw them away. No really not trying to be a dick but wheels sticking out of fender wells are ment for 4x4's not on these little trucks or any other what ever. Find something else to put on. There are so many cheap wheels or expensive not that I would know to put on your truck. Plus you put so much load on your hubs from that type of offset.

Don't do it please for the love of God..

• Like 2
  • 9 months later...

good evening everybody i been gone for a while i did a move from california to chicago I’m just getting around to fixing my truck for some reason my brakes gave out on the trip over here the brake reservoir is empty i filled it back up pumped the brake but don’t see any fluid in the floor or massive amount in the lines is there any tricks on finding a leak? 

• Like 1