Rear end idea an brakes

bk whitest

I own a 1980 720 in a remote island of New York where parts are rare for this car in general

I will be doing a sr swap sooner than later will post up a build thread when I pull the trigger but I'm having a hard time finding any rear disc conversion and what will be more cost efficient is awhole new read already disc

So my questions would be what's the year of pathfinder or frontier/d21 if not mistaken will bolt right up without fabrication

An recommended route on better brake booster an brake master cylinder

Seen willwood put on would a stock 720 mast an booster take 4 disc an comfortable for driving

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

D-21 Hardbody and WD-21 Pathfinders are wider than the 720. For now I wouldn't worry about rear disc brakes. The 10" drums are pleanty enough for stopping a small 720 and the rears only do maybe 25% of the stopping anyway. It's the fronts that do all the work. You will never drive it hard enough to need rear disc unless on a race track.

The front brakess are so so and no better than the '78 and '79 620 before it. Get the front vented rotors, larger calipers and the hubs from the later '83 and up 2wd 720. Also look at the D21 Hardbody front brakes.

• Like 4

My concern is im gonna do a sr20det swap putting down 3 times the power I've talked with another guy with a mini whose drums locked an totaled his truck

I just wanna know I can push it an stop without a question

And when you say they are longer have exact specs I don't care if it's 5 lug I'll get it shorten if it don't rip me a new pocket

I just want a strong truck

Function over form

For now I wouldn't worry about rear disc brakes. The 10" drums are pleanty enough for stopping a small 720 and the rears only do maybe 25% of the stopping anyway. It's the fronts that do all the work. You will never drive it hard enough to need rear disc unless on a race track.

Read this again.And again.Vented front disc off a late 720 will be plenty of "anchor". Pop the upper & lower ball joints and the whole enchilada just bolts on.

And your "buddy" is either lying or leaving something out of the story.

• Like 2

.......  I just wanna know I can push it an stop without a question

the Hardbody trucks had a V6 option. It's front vented rotors & larger brakes along with your stock 720 rear drums are plenty big enough to adequately stop an SR20 720.

........And when you say they are longer have exact specs I don't care if it's 5 lug I'll get it shorten if it don't rip me a new pocket

I just want a strong truck

Function over form that hauls ass

he said they are wider than your 720 ...... all nissan trucks 70's-90's are 6-lug

• Like 1

I realize they are 6 lug I know this but mustangs have solid rear an if I remember how to count there 5 lug

Now I can read an saw what mike wrote but I wouldn't mind replaceing my rear or even shorting it

I started this looking for advice an options

Not ppl smart Remarks so please keep the pissing contest in the bathroom

• Like 1

bk, I think the responses you got here show a level of frustration with new members who join the forums without doing any prior homework or research and expect a plethora of knowledge to just be showered upon them. I spent literally 2 minutes and found a dozen sources on 720 rear end swaps, brake swaps, build threads, etc.... All by using the Google Search Engine. I apologize if this isn't you, but we have countless members join these forums bragging about planning to do SR20/KA24 swaps, but then they never actually do it and we never hear from them again; so if I/we are skeptics/critics, that's probably why. 

You're right, a forum is a place for advice and opinions, but its always best to do your own research before coming in and throwing spit-balls at the wall and hoping they stick....

• Like 1

I have been doing my research only find kits for a 620 even asked his YouTube name bluehands i forgot his RATSUN name

I don't mean to brag anyway or form just a idea of why I want the brake upgraded not just for fun it's a safety concern I have

An please share the links to the upgrades if you don't

I'm more than welcome to advice lol

• Like 1

My concern is im gonna do a sr20det swap putting down 3 times the power I've talked with another guy with a mini whose drums locked an totaled his truck

He's probably not lying. But one guy's experience does not a rule make.

Common causes for rear brakes locking include:

* malfunctioning or missing NP-valve

* Improperly adjusted rear brake shoes

* Greasy or rusty rear brakes

* mismatched front/rear tires

* bald tires

This is not a cause:

* engine makes 3x stock power

I suppose if he still had his foot on throttle while braking it could cause a crash, but technically that's not locking up the brakes.

• Like 1

Drum brakes generally have a larger friction area and are "better” at stopping than disc brakes in theory, assuming they are properly adjusted and lubricated, with no leaks.

The front brakes WILL lock up long before the drums do. That's just how the system is designed. Like mike said the back brakes account for maybe 25 percent of braking.

New vehicles still come equipped with drums. Semi trucks usually use drums.

Get a good service manual, replace all the hardware, shoes, and such. The drums will work fine.

The d21 front brakes are the way to go.

Drum brakes generally have a larger friction area and are "better” at stopping than disc brakes in theory, assuming they are properly adjusted and lubricated, with no leaks.

This is actuality.Un-less you add fade(heat) to the equation.Which is why unless you're tracking the truck,this won't be a factor.
  • Like 1

Thanks you guys who acutely gave advices

i will go with d21 front rebuild my drums lets see how she takes it 

sometime next month or late of this one i will start my build on that one ill show what i do 

but MR. Z-train ill personally hope you follow the build 

• Like 1

Thanks you guys who acutely gave advices

i will go with d21 front rebuild my drums lets see how she takes it 

sometime next month or late of this one i will start my build on that one ill show what i do 

but MR. Z-train ill personally hope you follow the build

Post it.
  • Like 1