l20b loosing coolant

Dolomite

I cleaned the hole with some fine grit sandpaper and used permatex #2, tapped it in with the largest socket that would fit inside the plug. Its in straight, hopefully it holds. Busta, I'll try to remember to take some pics.

• Like 2
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't use weather strip adhesive.....it's not designed for engines....

If you can barrow a freeze plug installer that would be ideal also.......

I've used 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive for years. It doesn't harden to a crisp, but it doesn't remain tacky either.

Sockets work fine, as long as they don't push in the middle of the plug.

Alright Busta, here's pics. I didn't really have time for more, I finished it at midnight and went right to sleep. Next morning, the day of the fun run, I notice a small leak on the other side of the motor...fucking head gasket. No oil in coolant or vice versa, so I said fuck it lets see what happens.

FullSizeRender-1_zpstp2e3ubd.jpg

This is the tool my pop made for the flywheel, ugly but effective.

FullSizeRender_zps6fzxp1x5.jpg

Getting it buttoned up and ready to come down off its perch.

4196abf2-154a-40bb-a894-74e1e6b32706_zps

The car leaked about a half cup of coolant at O'Reilly when I got a new jug on my way to the starting point. It put 5 drops down when I parked at the McDonalds a block away, then 2 drops at the next stopping point. By the time we hit Nevada City, it had somehow self mended, no more drip. I even pushed it a bit trying to keep up with Ranman onto the freeway (resistance was futile) and blasting the canyon with Cody on the way home and it ran great. Pic above is at the Bridgeport park. Still can't believe it made it with no issues.

• Like 4

Dude, Im not an idiot. When you see coolant leaking from between the head and block its a pretty simple diagnosis. Beside the fact the leak is at the rear corner and I assume you know the water pump resides in the front. The heater hoses are intact. If i can tear it apart to put in a new expansion plug and put it back together in three evenings, wouldn't it be plain as day to think I know the difference between a headgasket and a hose or thermo switch? Thats damn insulting.

We are all idiots at times. No offense meant, and none taken.

About 5 years ago my Datsun was leaking around the head gasket. Because it was intermittent and not obvious it took a while to figure out the cause. It wasn't the head gasket.

The year before I worked on a Camry that had water in the oil. It wasn't the head gasket like everyone told me.

In 1984 I worked on a Corolla that had water in the oil. Changing the head gasket did not fix it. That was my first big lesson. Better to think then test, than to only think.

Flatcat, i only had around 4 hours per day to work on it after my wife got home from work to watch the baby so i could go to my pops place and when he told me work time was over so he could go to bed. I had no lift and conventional tools only, no trans jack either. But I did manage to bolt up a sweet smog pump supercharger and get like 2k horsepower whilst putting a hole in my radiator and patching it with white plaster.

• Like 2

Flatcat, i only had around 4 hours per day to work on it after my wife got home from work to watch the baby so i could go to my pops place and when he told me work time was over so he could go to bed. I had no lift and conventional tools only, no trans jack either. But I did manage to bolt up a sweet smog pump supercharger and get like 2k horsepower whilst putting a hole in my radiator and patching it with white plaster.

I see what you did there. 

Took me 12 to rebuild that motor R&R/rebuild that motor.