l20b loosing coolant

Dolomite

I've been loosing coolant lately and today I noticed coolant leaking from between the trans and block. I'm guessing there's a freeze plug on the back of the block. My question is weather or not it can be replaced without pulling the engine and is it under the flywheel. I'm hoping to make the sacdat fun run this weekend but its fading fast.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know what size they are? I'm kicking myself for not doing this when me and my pop did the rebuild and 5spd install.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda!  Yes hindsight is wonderful.  I rebuilt my R 1600 29 years ago and since it was on the bench, I replaced every "freeze plug" no matter the then current condition.  Not to mention that the complete set was still available OTC at the dealer's parts counter.  Beats the heck out of trying to pull and replace a "freeze plug" under a manifold by the side of the road [day or night].Hope this all works out favorably for you!

• Like 1

7 freeze plugs on an L20.....

40mm in size....

IMG_8871_zps22cefac8.jpg

IMG_8873_zps3ae6984e.jpg

One up front.......which would suck balls if it leaked.....

IMG_8872_zpsbeae9454.jpg

...and one in the back.....yes.....behind the flywheel....

IMG_8874_zps9f7e0c9b.jpg

Always use brass ones.....and you can make them pretty.....

IMG_9485_zps6a788f8e.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, core plugs, freeze plugs, expansion plugs...seems tomato tomāto to me. Most call them freeze plugs so that's what I put. Funny thing is I've seen a few cracked blocks from freezing with intact plugs. Thanks for the help flatcat and busta. Soffregen, thanks for the offer but I just got back from dropping it at my pop's house, I'm not sure it'd make it to cool. The head plug is intact so it looks like a tranny pull is in my future, 3 afternoon/evenings should be enough time...if all goes well.

Three days oh pis-haw  ,, even on a dirt floor it won't take near that much work... if your still running stock 4speed or dogleg,, those things don't weigh hardly anything..  Once you get flywheel off,, carefully let the back of the engine down ( a little)  and  hell the plug your after will be in a great spot to work on it..  The one in the back of the head would have been much harder to change in my opinion.

Think happy thoughts

• Like 1

I can do a clutch in a 510 in about an hour. With my high lift transmission jack and my 2 post lift, I have gotten spoiled.

I will never work on a creeper again...

Damn, that would be nice.

The zx 5spd is a little heavy but I put it in from a creeper so I can repeat.

• Like 1

I did a clutch in my race car once in 25 minutes. No joke. It was just before the race and it needed to get done. And that was on my back.

But... if you're in there, you may want to have a plug ready to replace the one in the back of the head too. I think they are a little smaller, but I don't know for sure.

Mike? Where's Mike?

I got the trans and clutch out tonight but my shitty air impact was too weak to loosen the flywheel bolts. Any suggestions? Is an electric impact strong enough, I may be able to get my hands on one.

I got the trans and clutch out tonight but my shitty air impact was too weak to loosen the flywheel bolts. Any suggestions? Is an electric impact strong enough, I may be able to get my hands on one.

Do you have access to a CO2 tank? They usually have regulators that will go to 250 or 300 psi. I keep one handy just for that purpose.

For the wire trick, I uctually use a visegrip clamped to the ring gear and rest it up against the corner of the block.

Pops to the rescue...again. He fabbed up an appliance to steady the flywheel so I was able to bust the bolts loose. I got the old plug and about a handful of chunky sediment out of the block and got the new brass plug in. Tomorrow's gonna be a busy day trying to button it up for Saturday.

• Like 1

Pics dude.....where are the pics???

I wouldn't use weather strip adhesive.....it's not designed for engines....

I swear by this stuff.....

504FFB15-3141-4025-977B-58757E4C421E_zps

If done correctly it will never leak......

If you can barrow a freeze plug installer that would be ideal also.......