The adventure begins! 71 Datsun 521

71Hustler

Hi everyone,

I purchased a 521 last week off of Craigslist from a California dude named Olaf. He bought the truck from someone in Oakland last August or September.

I had a 72 510 years ago, and did a little work myself, but I relied on Kelvin Dietz in Eugene quite a bit. So, pretty new territory for me here. I've already been emailing with Mike (mklotz70) about front drum to disc conversion kits. And, I'm really happy this community is here! So much good info to dig through!

First priorities are getting the current drum brakes less scary (out of adjustment we think) and replacing the currently missing driver's side window (plan is to get new window cut using a template drawn from the passenger side). Otherwise, I'm open to suggestions how to prioritize things. Most stuff appears to be original, and there is a lot of old cracked rubber everywhere.

And yes, that is a skull wearing a hat on the hood.

Sorry if these photos are huge; I'm experimenting with using Dropbox links.

IMG_2634.jpg

IMG_2624.jpg

IMG_2621.jpg

• Like 9
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome :)

You don't need to have a window cut, I have lots of them, PM me.

So I am assuming it runs as you are calling the brakes scary, you might be right about them needing adjusting, but I would convert over to disc brakes when you have the money, but that is just me, I guess I have done a few to many counter clockwise spins down the freeway during an emergency stop.

I live across the river from you in Vancouver, if you need anything, PM me.

You should take a better photo of the skull on the hood!!! :lol:

• Like 4

Nice hood pic, I'd leave it for the character unless you plan to drive it in South central Los Angeles!! Start slow and hit all the good stuff that you would like to change. Make her run and safe, the rest will come in time! 

Welcome to the house!!!

• Like 2

Thanks for all the welcome messages everyone!

Truck update: we took it into Metro Metric in SE Portland for the brakes because the back drum adjusters were completely seized up and we couldn't get anything to budge. They were able to get the drums off, soaked the adjusters overnight and got them working again. Now I can drive (relatively) safely to the DMV to get the title taken care of (an out of state title requires an in-person VIN inspection).

Since I just drove the truck down a long, straight stretch for the first time, I got to more fully experience the super loose steering. Eek!

On to a tune up and valve adjustment. I've already read through quite a bit and watched Mike's video, so I think we'll be good there.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Well, I'm just going to make a list of where things are at. I'm planning on driving to Canby, but might avoid driving on I5/205 still.

What's been done:

• Valve adjustment
  • Oil change/filter
  • Lower profile air filter (the old one was too tall and getting munched by the hood)
  • Driver's side window replaced (Thanks Wayne!)
  • Window channel felt replaced (I used this and it worked perfectly, but ended up just a couple inches short. Grrr...)
  • PCV valve replaced and crankcase breather hose reconnected
  • Drum brake adjusters un-seized (this took professional help)
  • Switched out tailgate (got it cheap and it had two working latches)
  • New wing window gaskets

What needs to be done most immediately (based on my super noob knowledge and experience)

• Check points and timing
  • Adjust carb (if needed)
  • Replace tie rods (one seems bad, so figure I should just do both)
  • Figure out what do with kingpins -- they're not good, but not horrible either. I've been emailing with Mike and need to watch his 40 videos.
  • Fix gas gauge (stopped working last week)
  • Fix reverse lights

Someday, in no particular order...

• Electronic distributor
  • Disc brake conversion
  • New or just better windshield
  • Suspension (maybe just new shocks?)
  • Reupholster bench seat and get it installed (there's bucket seats right now, but I'd prefer the bench)
  • New seat belts with shoulder straps
  • Work on getting rid of rust, other body work
  • New dash (if possible)
  • Add horn
  • And basically everything else you can imagine :frantics:

I keep getting set back by rain. We don't have garage space to work in yet, hope to get things arranged by end of summer.

• Like 3

Looking good hustler! Take a breeze through my 521 page and there are some good easy fixins in there for a lot of your list of to dos. Might give you ideas for stuff to do.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Working on tie rod and idler arm replacements, and getting the rust under control in the bed. Yesterday we power washed the dirt off to see how bad the rust actually is, and to get the gunk out so it will actually drain. After driving myself crazy reading about POR15 vs. other stuff, I'm going to try the Eastwood product and see how it goes.

BB18B627-B3BD-4CBE-B1B2-60B09983ADD2_zps

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...