z24 one coil not firing

hatch

have an 86 , 720 with z-24 engine , the coil to the exhaust? side does not fire , swapped coils they are ok , new ignition modules , the coil in question has a 3 wire connector , 1 wire red (i think) has power with key on other 2 wires are both grounded  ... bad module ???

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fuses are good , i took the old 4 wire (intake ?) module connector apart eliminated tach wire reassembled to the 3 wire (exhaust?) and got coil to fire , now is back to original prob of stuttering and high rpm's under a load .. thought it was bad fuel or clogged fuel filter , changed that before the module , but no change ... looked for carbon tracks in dist cap too

Post three says you got coils working, so why change module?

fuses are good , i took the old 4 wire (intake ?) module connector apart eliminated tach wire reassembled to the 3 wire (exhaust?) and got coil to fire , now is back to original prob of stuttering and high rpm's under a load .. thought it was bad fuel or clogged fuel filter , changed that before the module , but no change ... looked for carbon tracks in dist cap too

The original problem (title) was coil not firing, now it's stuttering at high RPMs and load. Maybe start over with what the engine is doing right now. I realize new information changes things.

it is and was originally stuttering at high rpm and under load . tried fuel filter first , them read through where people seemed to have same prob and decided to replace the modules , with new modules it ran worse - bad idle - found exhaust coil not firing , broke the original exhaust module so i adapted the old intake module to the exhaust coil and got spark back and i'm back to original problem of the stuttering at high rpm's and under load .