How much would you sell your truck for? (And why)

ohmrchristopher

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my little 720,  but I might part with it if someone offered me a crazy amount like $4000-5000. And only because I could get a nice king cab 620 with AC for the style and extra legroom. But that ain't gonna happen! So maybe I can hit the lottery and fix mine up like I want to...

I saved this truck from a back yard where it sat for 14 years . I have sold it twice , bought it back twice .  Also almost lost it earlier this year because I used the truck for collateral for a loan . 

I have hundreds of hours , and thousands of dollars into her . 

She is mine always and forever , 

If you love something set it free , if you cant live without it , hunt it down and never let it go ! Ever ! IMAG1008_zps6268eafd.jpgIMAG0271_1_zps8kmvnsev.jpg

• Like 4

I saved this truck from a back yard where it sat for 14 years . I have sold it twice , bought it back twice .  Also almost lost it earlier this year because I used the truck for collateral for a loan . 

I have hundreds of hours , and thousands of dollars into her . 

She is mine always and forever , 

If you love something set it free , if you cant live without it , hunt it down and never let it go ! Ever ! IMAG1008_zps6268eafd.jpgIMAG0271_1_zps8kmvnsev.jpg

dude if you sell that truck it better be to me and you better be on your death bed

• Like 4

I’d be hard pressed to sell, more out of practicality than from emotional attachment (not to say the emotional attachment isn’t considerable.) The reason being, it would cost too much to replace them. Brand new, they were what $6,500 apiece? Where do you buy a good little truck new for 6 grand? Most of us Ratsunites restore, renovate, or wildly upgrade them, so let‘s say to new or better than new condition. What is that ‘value dollar’ number, in 2015 dollars?

A new Nissan truck starts at $25k or so, and goes up rather quickly. It is an apples to oranges comparison, to be sure, but what do I really need a truck for? Dump runs, and going to my hydroplane races- that’s pretty much it. For the $1,500 each that I will have invested here, plus a lot of fun time labor, how far ahead am I over buying a new truck? Two new trucks?

We are playing in an absurdly favorable economic situation, if we want to stay there. By the time I am done, I will have two very good trucks, totally renovated, for about tree grand apiece.

I have a friend who I have always considered very, very bright. Back in the eighth grade, riding a chair lift together, my friend Brian nodded to a very fancy dressed and equipped skier “100 percent fun is very expensive. But you know, I have found that you can have 90 percent of the fun for about 10 percent of the cost.” Truer words were never spoken.

In this exceptional case, restoring my two 720 King Cabs, I find that I am having 110 percent of the fun for about 10 percent of the cost. How do you beat that?

TWINS2_zps0b9f7bab.jpg

• Like 5

if I may ask, how much did u invest in it and what was the initial price? Also the selling location can easily affect the price

I don't know how much I had into it, but it wasn't a trailer queen. It had a modified A12 with a 5 speed, all new brakes and suspension, a professionally handmade interior, and a 720 front clip. Lots of powder coating including the wheels. New vintage BFG's all around.

I did the work over so many years that it really wasn't a factor in the sale price.

I'm in Northern CA, between Sacramento and Truckee.

320_Datsun_Frame_Clip_Install_111.jpg

IMG_2659Small.jpg

EngineSmall.jpg

IMG_0440Small.jpg

• Like 3

$10k not a dollar less

IMG_20150321_181155574_HDR_zpsdkvtztkg.j

Haha just kidding that's obviously the Canby truck.

I'd ask $2k for mine, I paid $800 and it was mostly stock, some vacuum lines deleted, and really small tires up front for some reason.

I put a bench in place of the free moving seats (latches were rusted open so they didn't lock in any position), put oil/amp gauges in center console, dropped it 3", got new wheels and tires, new fender, valance, and grille. A few other small things to make it look good/perform better, but I plan to make the list a lot longer!

Once all the body work is done and it's got a new, or maybe just rebuilt motor in it, I'd do the $10k answer. Not because it's worth that, but because it'll be the first car I do this much work to!

IMG_20150307_105738061_HDR_zpsdbkcnjm6.j

IMG_20150311_120922913_HDR_zpsqlbnlkvb.j

• Like 4
Guest Rick-rat

Just got a scholarship loan so I spent 750$ US w/shipping for about 20 parts: bumper, dash cover, shocks, brake lines, strut bushings, carpet, master cylinder, brake res, etc Forgot the rest...

Using your scholarship money for Datsun parts, Canadian thing, eh?

I appreciate your "concern" in this matter. I'll have you know that this money is only an emergency resource. What I spent is only a fraction of that loan and I already earn a salary through part-time work. This project is also the only thing keep my sanity at check...Once restored, the truck will be sold and I should recover AT LEAST all my expenses.

At for pulling the canadian card, I shall ask you: what education do u have!?

K well i dont judge people by their grammar. And here i purposely ignore all the typos. Now I could back myself up by saying my first language isnt English but Im sure u 'Mericans dont care. As for the education, I have a Civil Engineer Degree, a technique in Water/Waste water treatment and a certificate in Power Engineering. But I acknowledge your worry in my financial management...

Rant over, Back to Ratsun!