Datsun A14 Engine timing Questions

Retro Wave

Hi everyone, i first want to say thanks for letting me join your already large datsun family. I just purchased a fairly all original 1976 datsun b210 with an A14 engine that needs an updating all around. As of right now i already started taking the timing chain off the car and cleaned anywhere my hands can reached. i bought a new Timing chain Set and mock installed it but i notice that the marks weren't aligned like it said in the manual. I have the #1 spark plug piston all the way up and rotor pointing to #1 spark plug wire but gears aren't aligned. I also search online and i found that the most important part is to line up the camshaft dowel hole with the keygrove. the points aren't as important but they do mention that its  just for a second checking. they also mention something about the pistons opening/closing  AND that its doesn't matter if its on #1 TDC or #4 TDC?

I hope i didn't confuse everyone but i haven't played with 4 cylinders before just 6 cylinders and Im kinda new to this. any tips or advice on getting the gears to aligned, setting timing correctly and shedding some light on the info i found online - Im all ears . I'll post pictures soon

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

Look at those little dimples on the cam gear and crank gear those are your timing marks.

Spin the motor so that the dowel on the cam gear and the key way on the crank gear are both in line as shown in the drawing (they'll be point at around 5 o'clock) those two dimples are supposed line up with a specific link on the chain.

Most chains of a pair of different color links (usually shiny) with the dowel and key way pointing at 5 o'clock the dimple on the crank gear should be at 3 o'clock and the dimple on the cam gear will be around 1 o'clock.

The dimples should be lined up so they are centered on the two shiny links on the cam chain. There is a drawing on 1200.com that shows this, I just can't remember where. You should have 8 links between the links lined up with the dimples.

Ignore the distributor. Spin the motor to TDC on #1 (put the cover and pulley on hand tight so you can line up TDCif you have to) #1 valves should be completely closed. Once you have the cam lined up put the distributor where it needs to be.

Tom