Low Beams don't Turn on 68 510

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you didnt hook up the wires connections wrong by the glove compartment or anything disconnected and this happen later when reconnected.

low beans not working usaully is the light relay corrossion on the contacks. which over time arches and causes a resisitance.

If both lamps work on high then its the relay(99% of the time). One can open them up and clean the contacks with sandpaper. then nomally closed not energized side which should be making contack already. Be like working on points I think. Never done it myself.

I know the above statment to be true for the 70-72 series. Not positive on the 68s as they are slightly different so .

the horn work off the steering wheel ground. so maybe a wire is loose under the wheel or the wire insulation is worn thus touching ground and setting off the horn via the relay.

• Like 1

you didnt hook up the wires connections wrong by the glocve compartment or amything disconnected and this happen later when reconnected.low beans not working usaully is the light relay corrossion on the contacks. which over time arches and causes a resisitance.If both lmaps work on high then its the relay(99% of the time). One can open them up and clean the contacks with sanpaper. then nomally closed not energized side which should be making contack already. Be like working on points I think. Never donte it myself.I know the above statment to be true for the 70-72 series. No positive on the 68s as they are slightly different so .the horn work off the steering wheel ground. so maybe a wire is loose under the wheel or the wire insulation is worn thus touching ground and setting off the horn via the relay.

Yeah I hear the buzz coming from the firewall I thought it was near the fuse box. I'll check the wires then. And I took the steering wheel off it wasn't it

light relay is right across the fuse box on the strut. there were 2 types I senn the removable relay then the one with the wires attached. disconnect and reconnect this might make the connection better.

most is corrossion proplems. The japs did know how to wire cars better than the British.

when relay is triggered it puts a double ground to both lamps thus lighting up.

trial and error and the scehmatic helps if you look close. Remeber 510 the lamps are already hooked up to the +side of the battery. then it puts a ground on one lug thus completeing the circut(goes thru the relay.) whether engergized or not. On lows the ground come soemwhere else but passes thru the relay when not enrgized if I remeber right. Dont matter clean the relay first.

all 510s will go thru this sooner or later.

521s are worse as the fuse box gets lots of water run off old &style set up.

• Like 1

trial and error and the scehmatic helps if you look close. Remeber 510 the lamps are already hooked up to the +side of the battery. then it puts a ground on one lug thus completeing the circut(goes thru the relay.) whether engergized or not. On lows the ground come soemwhere else but passes thru the relay when not enrgized if I remeber right. Dont matter clean the relay first.all 510s will go thru this sooner or later.521s are worse as the fuse box gets lots of water run off old &style set up.

Ok got it! Found the problem from trial and error like you mentioned. I hooked up battery and connected wires to fuse box one by one and the dam GY wire shortened/grounded and zapped!! Scared me and I checked the wires under glove box.

There it was, the GReen/yellow wire was snipped from a connector.

Going to take my dash off tomorrow and Sauter it.

THX! Alot man