Another Drift Truck Build Attempt

I have seen quite a few threads on drift trucks now, and I have posted a few minor things asking for help and advice on my truck. Well the time has come to actually build. I am getting a ka24de Saturday hopefully then if the insides look ok (only paying 100$) I am going to throw bearings, rings, gsskets, cams, and yes a turbo. Low boost for now, this is my first REAL build in general. I had my 63 Ford that I did a bit of work on, but I am now liking my truck more. While the motor is out I plan on getting a rebuild kit and doing my transmission, hopefully a rearend, hydro e-brake, and some suspension. Feedback? Advice? Any knowledge on the subject period is much appreciated.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted this from my phone earlier so now that I'm home here are some pictures

I believe this was in the process of lowering it actually a little bit after I got the truck. Note the blue fender I had to get from pnp after I let someone drive my truck and they ran it into another car.

20141016_172708_zps049bc29d.jpg

Couple friends n I went to a car show in town

20141018_143001_zpsaba9f0e0.jpg

Yes you may spy 1 or 2 black air horns from Orielley under the bumper...

20141020_165106_zpsddc5ed92.jpg

Nice little comparison of the top being like a month or 2 after I got the truck and then a picture from just a few months going to the lake with a friend

10787734_1518242278425242_442085280_n_zp

Beautiful Procar seat I got when my dad got new seats for his Nova. They were gonna go in my car but I decided Racetruck needed them since the Ford doesn't run 

IMG_20150208_172000_zps7uksirvp.jpg

If you look in front of the back wheel I have a 3 inch tip that comes from a glasspack, the tape on the high beams someone did at a meet one night, the headlights/side mirror are my whatevers for now lol getting some nice headlights eventually anyways and I saw a picture of a 720 that was real low with both side mirrors and it was so sexy. It's a project remember haha

IMG_20150213_153937_zpswugz7uon.jpg

Oh and yea going up the hills with friends, one of them got stuck in his Civic in a little rut and as soon as I came off the clutch I went sideways into the ditch. Truck was so light luckily there were 5 of us and we were able to pick it up out AND didn't hurt anything.... soooo a win to me

20150213_170928_zpssl4cspvs.jpg

Coming back down the hills, didn't even notice my side light bulb had fallen out till I got home. Side note: That Mazda truck the owner is making a pre-runner out of it and is actually coming along really nice

IMG_20150213_182232_zpsugfcm2p1.jpg

Night shot

20150207_181908_zpsknq8zrue.jpg

I thought about getting one from pick n pull but I heard the trans from the 240s move your shifter 6 inches forward.

If you have a small coin tray just in front of the shifter the S13/14 five speed will move the shifter maybe a couple of inches to the rear. If you do not have a coin tray, the shifter will move back at least 6".

If you have a small coin tray just in front of the shifter the S13/14 five speed will move the shifter maybe a couple of inches to the rear. If you do not have a coin tray, the shifter will move back at least 6".

I don't think I have the coin tray, but I have an empty spot under my radio slot that never came with anything but has rails like something goes there. Now it holds a CB/PA radio. Also do you mean back as in back towards the bed, or closer to the firewall?

I don't think I have the coin tray, but I have an empty spot under my radio slot that never came with anything but has rails like something goes there. Now it holds a CB/PA radio. Also do you mean back as in back towards the bed, or closer to the firewall?

Towards the bed

Back is the opposite of front. Which way do you go when you back up?

Towards the bed

Well than.... I must have read it wrong. I believed it moved it the opposite way. WELL this makes things better looks like I'm finding myself a 240 trans at some point during this

Well than.... I must have read it wrong. I believed it moved it the opposite way. WELL this makes things better looks like I'm finding myself a 240 trans at some point during this

The D-21 Hardbody has the same transmission although shorter than the 240sx one. Probably cheaper and more common.

• Like 1

Pulled the motor apart, block was my original concern. After I got it home found out it doesn't turn over, but after getting it all apart and throwing it in the washer, and going through a lot of degreaser, the block looks pretty good. The problem now is the head is junk, entire seat is exposed for 1 valve.

20150316_144848_zps2gya0ln7.jpg

20150317_124013_zpsdoernffy.jpg

20150317_125150_zpsgxmixo4o.jpg

and of course a picture a friend of mine got the other night

55c420f2-d692-4f91-b2bc-e4073c363072.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So haven't done too much lately, pulled the valves out of the head, found another head to buy (should be getting it in a day or so), honed the cylinders (came out pretty clean), replaced my driveshaft center support, and had to put a drivers window in... leaving with some friends one guy didn't see me slow down and hit my door shattered the window and killed my door. Known him for a while and has always been super helpful so we agreed that I'll pay for the window as long as he pays for a new door. Anyways here are some pictures.

The old center support... not even in one piece hahaha didn't even notice it till I was driving and at about 55 everything vibrated.

1428359877901_zpswjuijmba.jpg

The cylinders came out good on the KA

Screenshot_2015-04-03-15-29-16_zpsipgpjy

And this is the head my friend is supposed to be picking up for me tonight, told him to take it out of the wrap and send me pictures. Guy from Craigslist said it was just pressure tested and everything ready to be built and put on a motor. I also asked for something in writing saying its all good and what not. He asked 150$ agreed to 130$. If all the machine work really was done should be a good deal seeing as how it would be about 100$ for it all where I can go.

IMG954818_zpsskg0i2as.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone still follows this and really reads it, but I put a hand ebrake between the seats for now until I put the other trans in which will then hopefully be swapping to a hydro. Still deciding on the rear end, and looking at what I want to do with the motor exactly

• Like 2

If you want to keep it in the Nissan family, you could go with the hb233 axle from v6 hardbodies and pathfinders. The pathfinders have a factory vlsd but are set up for 4 link suspension, so to use one you would need to put some leaf spring perches on it or swap the pathfinder pumpkin in to a hardbody axle. They are a few inches wider than your 720 axle, but they can take a serious beating.

They can also be found with rear disc brakes but only from the early 90s pathfinder, but that setup can be unbolted and swapped to any hb233.

Keep the pics coming, people are watching even if we're quiet. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my KAE for my s13 right now, so it's fun to watch other engine builds.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hey everyone, really glad to know people are still following the build. Recently graduated high school so things have been a little busy setting everything up. I had found out that the guy i bought the head from didn't have the towers for it so I was kinda stuck for a bit trying to figure out what I was going to do. Ended up taking the towers from the junk head and matching them up and was EXTREMELY lucky that with some mismatching they all lined up perfectly, put the old cams in to make sure and everything tightened down cams spin perfectly fine. Next step is to figure out what I'm doing with the block, going to get some pistons, not sure if I want rods or not gonna use the stock crank, etc etc. Really just want something that will handle some boost and be mainly stock, don't need a crazy bunch of power for this small truck. The head is just gonna be some crower cams, new springs and then probably stock valves. I got a driveshaft from pick n pull off another 720 and called a place that quoted 130$ to build me a whole new driveshaft using my ends (want a 1 piece). Only question I really have on that is if I change out to the 240 trans will my drive shaft length be the same? I will probably end up getting another diff from a truck in pnp for backup and just welding this one for now. Should I have the driveshaft made now? Or should I wait until I put the trans and motor in?

Select the transmission ... get the driveshaft made to fit IT.

Just get oversize pistons and bore to match them. Keep it S14 pistons and rods, they are fully floating unlike the D-21 KA engines. They also have oil squirters to cool the pistons... also a very good idea on a boosted engine.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, any suggestions on the suspension setup? Right now I have 3 inch and 2 inch blocks that I'm going to weld, flipped load springs in the back, and torsion up front. Originally I was gonna buy a whole lowering kit and/or weld my blocks together for now until I can afford to do a whole 4linking swap. Just need some advice on what a good setup would be without being too expensive.

• 3 weeks later...

Welding blocks together is a bad idea. Save up the money to do it right the first time. :)

Edit: 720 4x4 springs and 3" blocks will net about the same drop

Alright I'll look around for a 4x4 to take some springs from, what about turbo manifold? Is there a specific one I need for it to fit in the truck, like have one made, or will any old ka turbo manifold fit?