My 72 Datsun 510 sedan

Hello I finally got myself a Dime! Here's my story...

I always been a fan of the 510 but these cars get swooped up so quick on criagslist or by word of mouth, that it felt like you literally have to have cash on hand at any moment to pick up a decent runner without breaking your wallet. So happens after years of searching I came across a fresh craigslist post (2 hours ago) about a 510 sedan for sale. Crossing my fingers I sent a quick email asking to come see the car. That night I thought about how dope it would be if I actually had a chance to see the car before somebody with a trailer tires to come pick it up.The following morning I got a call from the owner and was thrilled to hear that the car was available. After asking random checklist questions about the in's and out's, he informed me that the car has never been taken out of the city where he was from (santa cruz) since his ownership and suggested I get it towed. However he was willing to show me the car on the weekend and we can discuss details further. I asked him that I would very much like to see the car the same day and be the first one to make an offer if possible. He agreed and I devised a plan on how to get the car back to San Jose without taking it over the hill (CA17). I meet up with a friend in Hollister and I convinced him to shuttle me to Santa Cruz via (156/CA1 ) flat roads. Hoping if all goes well that cruzing on sleepy roads will be ok to get the dime home.

The dime was still a project almost completed and I liked what I saw and purchased the dime. ***WHoa the dime had a carb leak and ran super lawn mower rich with no fire wall. The leaky weber needed a rebuild and gas would drip on the intake manifold. Determined and high on fumes I went to the local auto store and bought a (1)fire extingusher (2)jumper cable (3)battery mount kit. (floating battery). I forgot to mention the turn signals arnt wired up and it was already dark (6pm). I followed my firend from behind and had to roll the windows down because the fumes was intoxicating. It also sucked cause I had shorts on and the cold offshore breeze was keeping me on high alert. Dime drove fine enough that I felt comfortable taking the whole way back to san jose up from 101 (2hours).

This is the part I would like to tell everyone that this was a happy ending but the dime showed its age about 2miles from home....while downshifting at a stop sign I could not get the car into gear. Seemed as if a block plate was prevent me from getting into first. Wiggle wiggle wiggle stall....restart wiggle wiggle Gear engaged. DAM had to baby it homestretch but at least I made it I guess. Still cant wipe the grin from my face....

The car is now a stuck on my driveway....I need to find some like minded Datsun friends to put my dime on the road. Anyone from San Jose?

http://s697.photobucket.com/user/Spiderat/media/510.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi SpiderRat and welcome to Ratsun.

510.jpg

Not going into gear could simply be the hydraulic clutch is leaking and out of fluid. It may need a top up and bleed the air out or a part replaced but it's not rocket science to do. Post some more about it... and make sure that hood is secure.

• Like 1

PIcs Pics

11041346_10153131232219568_1535672249_n.

The car has most of the dash (in a box). I want to replace the steering wheel and seats (recaro). I like the seats but the cushion is non existent its as if Im sitting on a toilet seat. The car came with EZ wire kit 75% completed. (engine,starter,head and tails). Gotta learn how to hook up the Dash/turn signals &misc. Like the dash cover!

10933085_10153131231994568_682669465_n.j

L20B with a leaky webber I was mentioning. Still can believe I was foolish enuff to drive the car back. The diaphragm is the main culprit. Drip Drop Drippity Drop...Yeah and also the battery I mentioned also that didnt have a clamp. 

DimeClutchMasterCly.jpg11050911_10153131232259568_1514024619_n.

Thanks DatMike for the trouble shooting help. I bought a vac kit and planning to pump the slave cly tonight. I was surprised and delighted to see no leaks and it also seemed like the clutch Master/Slave set was replaced.

DimeGastank.jpg

Oh and the gas tank was replaced as well but I found this the next day. Is there a bushing that I am missing. I was thinking of JB wielding it.

Feels like right now I scored a 510 Hot wheel treasure hunt toy...

I don't see a spring on the slave cylinder. There are two styles of slave cylinder: self adjusting and manual adjusting. The self adjusting has no hole in it for the spring and therefore, does not require it, but the manual adjusting slave has a hole and needs a spring. If it needs a spring and none is used, the slave can build pressure and apply it to the clutch which can load the thrust bearing on the crank and wipe all the oil off. Cranks can wear out because of this.

Does the clutch fork have any free play?

• 2 weeks later...