A10 Kaido racer build

.. Shark nose it the hell out of it, this car has a tremendous potential look .. but remember safety comes 1st before looks. I learned the hard way. I was young once and we all know at young age we don't listen very well.. but as old mature I do now.. kind of backwards.. lol

This, here is the order of operations. Stop. Go. Look good.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

well I'm in need of serious help. The motor cranks but wont start, I've got some pictures of the motor. I'm out of ideas and all suggestions and advice are welcomed.

also im running an l18 head.

25104999743_668f2c9270_c.jpgIMG_7917 by mason duffey, on Flickr

25430905460_aec364364c_c.jpgIMG_7919 by mason duffey, on Flickr

25636551841_be7b7a6b16_c.jpgIMG_7920 by mason duffey, on Flickr

25101213024_49a3e7e82b_c.jpgIMG_7915 by mason duffey, on Flickr

also saw that this is rubbing the valve cover

please help!!!

thank you!!

It looks correct except somebody put the spocket on wrong.(Ok I would normally be all over you like a Spider monkey but you get 1 mistake)   You have to turn it around. so the V is on the inside

hope it didn't shear the bolts that hold the thrust playe on. Its looks close

looks like the fuel pump eccentric is pushed in to the valve cover thats way the shavings.

so I would suggest time to TDC again  get the timming chain tool and pull that sprocket off and turn it around.

once that done put the dist in. the spindale is correct per your photo. just where the dist lock down that will be plug 1 and go 1 3 4 2 fire order counter clock wise

https://vimeo.com/19077890

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...

new update: car is currently getting fixed at a shop getting fixed professionally by another Datsun owner. been doing more research on motor work o learn more and having people teach me more about motor work although ill prefer to stick bodywork and paint lol. planning on doing things more correct this year, fixed the broken window, do more maintence, not driving it like an s13 and more importantly the rear springs are back in :thumbup: . once i get the car back i will be patching rust holes, fixing dents, and painting the car. thanks for the advice!!! 

more to come later

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Y'all ready for an update? Shortly after my last post in the thread the car was running again. I drove it around for a couple months without really doing anything to it and took it down to Import Alliance 2016. 

37950345971_6942101bec_z.jpgFullSizeRender (13) by muddogduffey@sbcglobal.net, on Flickr

After I got back from IA 2016 started doing rust repair and body work to get it ready for the 2016 fall meet.

37950345291_b9d83c7148_z.jpgFullSizeRender (14) by muddogduffey@sbcglobal.net, on Flickr

37950345291_b9d83c7148_z.jpgFullSizeRender (14) by muddogduffey@sbcglobal.net, on Flickr

I decided to wrap the car for the fall meet, the reason I made this decision was because I wanted it to be one color and it was a hell of a lot cheaper than a paint shop. 

37950344541_b9eaca44f8_z.jpgFullSizeRender (16) by muddogduffey@sbcglobal.net, on Flickr

Of course I went with the cheapest wrap I could find on the interwebs....yes I know I'm retarded lol

37950344101_fab9e2d096_z.jpgFullSizeRender (17) by muddogduffey@sbcglobal.net, on Flickr

Peeled the wrap off and drove it like that for a little while

37950343961_2317b34b15_z.jpgFullSizeRender (18) by muddogduffey@sbcglobal.net, on Flickr

• Like 2

unfortunately I don't have any pictures from doing the rest of the bodywork/shaving.

24099271818_63498050ce_z.jpgFullSizeRender (19) by muddogduffey@sbcglobal.net, on Flickr

A friend and I painted this summer with some cheap single stage and it turned out pretty good for a $100 paintjob done in a barn

24099271198_cd32c3bcf0_z.jpgFullSizeRender (21) by muddogduffey@sbcglobal.net, on Flickr

Yes, the gas cap is on it now

More to come later this month

• Like 2

I have enjoyed your first build, keep it up, this is how you learn by getting dirty and bustin knuckles.

Thinking of a motor swap?  

Not planning on swapping the motor but I am currently working on pulling the motor so I can convert it to manual, I just need the pedals. But hoping to rebuild the top end and throw on a sidedraft this winter.

Also glad to hear you've enjoyed the build, and yea I may have messed somethings up and done things wrong the first time but with every problems comes a new opportunity for me to learn about the car

It is always a learning experience and you learn what should be done with less headaches too.

If you find a 5spd from another A10, 510, 620, or 200SX, you will need the 6bolt flywheel for the clutch to change out the automatic flexplate on the motor.

Might get lucky and find a 5spd with motor attached still (has to be an L/Z/KA trans to work for you).

Swap Info:

L16/L18/L20B are good motors and still are plentiful to find out there in everything from 1968 to 1980 Datsuns.

Z22/Z24 are after 82 and were common and plentiful in Datsun cars and trucks, carbs still easy to wire up, bolts in place of L20B for an Update

KA24e/KA24de are in the 88-97 Nissan trucks and 240SX cars, EFI wiring required, bolt in place of L20B to update better power and very common.

My favorite motor of all these are the L16.

It is always a learning experience and you learn what should be done with less headaches too.

If you find a 5spd from another A10, 510, 620, or 200SX, you will need the 6bolt flywheel for the clutch to change out the automatic flexplate on the motor.

Might get lucky and find a 5spd with motor attached still (has to be an L/Z/KA trans to work for you).

Swap Info:

L16/L18/L20B are good motors and still are plentiful to find out there in everything from 1968 to 1980 Datsuns.

Z22/Z24 are after 82 and were common and plentiful in Datsun cars and trucks, carbs still easy to wire up, bolts in place of L20B for an Update

KA24e/KA24de are in the 88-97 Nissan trucks and 240SX cars, EFI wiring required, bolt in place of L20B to update better power and very common.

My favorite motor of all these are the L16.

Well I actually have a 4 speed that I was planning on swapping in lol I got it for free when I bought an l16 for parts

• Like 1

If you now have an automatic I highly suggest getting a 71B 5 speed from a..

'77-'78 280z

'79 280zx (the '80-'83 280zx (non turbo) has too high an overdrive IMHO, but will work all the same)

'78-'79 620

'80 720 (2wd)

'78-'80 810

'81-'84 Maxima

The 71B will fit and work with your automatic driveshaft. If you get an A10 5 speed it's not only shorter but not as strong as the 71B which is a six cylinder transmission that is also used on trucks.

The Z22 came out in '81 on the 720 (and '82 on the S110 200sx) the Z24 in Nov '82 or just into the '84 model year 720...

6 mount bolt flywheels are found on all L20B, Z20, Z22,  Z24 and KA engines. Watch out, as there are 200, 225 and 240mm clutch size flywheels and they all swap, and may have been.

L20B.... 200mm and 225mm if truck

Z20...... 200mm and 240mm if truck

Z22...... 225mm car or truck

Z24...... 240mm

KA....... 225 and 240mm if truck

• 2 years later...

Sure has been awhile since this thread has been updated. The car went a couple years without changing much, but in the past month I've been making progress. Before I get into what I've been working on recently, let me fill in the gap from where I last left off. 

When I left off, I had just painted the car and driven to Import Alliance in 2017.

IMG-4398.jpg

A month later I packed up my garage and moved to Kansas to go to McPherson College, to get my degree in restoration. The car didn't change much  during this time, other than the addition of fender mirrors and the oil cooler.

IMG-4402.jpg

I had a free weekend and decided to do something with the old osb that I had been using as a "trunk mat". I found some dirt cheap flooring material and mounted up some box speakers I had been saving for a few years.

IMG-4401.jpg

I spent the winter of 2017/2018 pulling the motor and fixing a nice sized hole in the strut tower, then shaving some stuff from the bay, and ending it all by painting it silver. Unfortunately many photos of the process were lost but here's what I have.

20171205-172030965-i-OS.jpg

20171206-205015101-i-OS.jpg

20180201-002954691-i-OS.jpg

20180201-004217398-i-OS.jpg

20180221-222955178-i-OS.jpg

20180304-010740429-i-OS.jpg

Then I took the car to my school's annual car show.

DSC-0719.jpg

DSC-0721.jpg

DSC-0724.jpg

Once the motor had been reinstalled, I drove the car for a month or so and parked it until the following semester.

Starting in fall 2018 I decided it was time to go back and fix the mistakes I made in high school. I sanded the body back and began fixing the body yet again. I did this because I realized some aspects of the modifications I had done in the past had been botched from lack of better knowledge, and quite honestly being a kid that just wanted it done without looking at the long-term or bigger picture. 

IMG-4394.jpg

IMG-4395.jpg

IMG-4396.jpg

IMG-4397.jpg

With our school's annual car show fastly approaching I threw some cheap spray paint on it to make it one color and spent some time cruising it around our small town here in Kansas.

IMG-4393.jpg

The car was soon parked and sat nearly untouched for eight months, until I finally got some motivation and last month I began putting hours back into this car. Starting off with something I've wanted to do since I bought the car. I went ahead and de-tinted the car along with peeling the stickers off the quarter windows.

IMG-4426.jpg

IMG-4430.jpg

Thanks for tuning in for now, but I'm even more excited to share the bigger things I've done recently. Unlike last time I promise I will update this in a more timely fashion lol.

• Like 4
  • carrcrazy changed the title to A10 Kaido racer build

Forgot to mention that before the car was painted black, it was featured on an episode of Hagerty's "Barn Find Hunter" series on youtube. Skip ahead to around 9:45 if your only interested in my car but its well worth watching to here about some other awesome builds.

• Like 2

With the final bodywork coming to an end I figured it was finally time to start adding on the "bosozoku" or "kaido racer" kit to the car. I scored a deal on the flares from an importer who was getting rid of his business. Originally I had no clue what the flares were for, but with some light research I'm 99% sure they are Celica works flares. It's definitely going to take some work to get the contour to match the car, as well as lengthening to the rear section to sit lower.

IMG-4612.jpg

IMG-4613.jpg

Went ahead and made a really rough template for a side skirt idea.

IMG-4614.jpg

You may have notice the big wing on the back of the car in the past couple post, but here's a better view. Definitely drew inspiration from the silhouette cars and other cars in Japan. Now, if your thinking it looks too tall, then were on the same page, here soon I'm gonna chop it down a couple inches.

IMG-4615.jpg

Last week I scored a broken Z28 spoiler for five bucks, within half an hour I was cutting up and getting it familiar with its new home on my trunk.

IMG-4616.jpg

The ducktail will get molded into the body.

IMG-4617.jpg

IMG-4619.jpg

Another thing I did was shave the drivers wiper off. Mainly to match the cars in japan where its a bit more popular to do the single wiper. Might not be the safest thing to do to a car, but the window seals leak in the rain anyway, so I guess this be sunny car only. 

IMG-4621.jpg

IMG-4622.jpg

I'll end on this, one of my favorite little touches I've done. The Pabst Japanese logo they had on the cans a couple years ago made the perfect center to the new steering wheel.

IMG-4620.jpg

• Like 2