Datsun 510 steering wheel lock help.

I have been searching all over the internet for information on my built in Datsun 510 steering wheel lock and i couldn't find any help. I read somewhere that an ignition key with one side means your car has a steering wheel lock. My key has one side so that means i geuss i have a steering wheel lock. I could only get it to lock twice by accident, I've tried hundreds of times. When i try to get it to lock i can't. Is there anyone who has a steering wheel lock that works and can help me please?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure all of the 70+ 510s have them... not sure on 68/69.

Turn key all the way counter clockwise, like 180 degrees away from "off".

Then turn steering wheel until it locks.

I have an ignition lock not being used...  Pretty simple device really.

C'mon guys. The '68 has the ignition switch on the dash to the left of the column. You know this.

'69 was the first year the ignition was on the column... (not that it did or didn't have the lock feature) I would imagine if you have steering lock it will say LOCK on the ignition switch.

• Like 2

C'mon guys. The '68 has the ignition switch on the dash to the left of the column. You know this.

'69 was the first year the ignition was on the column... (not that it did or didn't have the lock feature) I would imagine if you have steering lock it will say LOCK on the ignition switch.

68 has a key ignition built into the dash. 69 had a pod with the key ignition sw. added to the side of the steering column surround. It did not have a locking mechanism for the steering column.

70-73 had the locking steering column. You turn the key all the way off, remove the key and move the wheel left or right to engage the column lock.

I have been searching all over the internet for information on my built in Datsun 510 steering wheel lock and i couldn't find any help. I read somewhere that an ignition key with one side means your car has a steering wheel lock. My key has one side so that means i geuss i have a steering wheel lock. I could only get it to lock twice by accident, I've tried hundreds of times. When i try to get it to lock i can't. Is there anyone who has a steering wheel lock that works and can help me please?

Make sure the key is removed,   then turn the wheel 360*, it will not lock if it is left in the switch.