Ka24de Swap in 1985 720

Hi everyone first off, I believe I posted a topic here quite a while ago asking about the rev limit on the z24 engines. Well, after having my 720 for close to a year now it has actually become my main project. I am now wondering if anyone has any advice or knowledge on what exactly is needed for a KA24DE swap for this truck? I have seen it all over the internet, and would love to do it. My future goals for the truck are building it into a drift truck. I found a Twin cam 16v KA24DE with a blown head gasket for 100$ close to me. The gasket isn't a problem because I wanted to pull the motor apart anyways to check it all around and clean it up and do whatever I can while still staying smog legal. Which is another thing I need to check, I can still smog the motor as long as I build it right, right? I know when you do engine swaps you have to go to certain smog shops to have the whole thing looked over before any actual smogging and what not, but what exactly can I do to the engine, what are any special things I need, etc, etc. I just need some advice, help, knowledge passed on, anything from people who have done it or have experience with all that. 

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're doing a smog legal swap, it will save you money to buy a donor car because of all the small pieces you will need from the EVAP to the guage cluster. I have taken swapped vehicles to the ref before and if everything is done right, you get a sticker that shows it's been approved. If it'snot right and you have a donor, you just go home and pull the part off the donor and figure out how to make it work then take it back to the ref. Also, don't get rid of anything from either vehicle until you've passed the ref.

• Like 1

If you're doing a smog legal swap, it will save you money to buy a donor car because of all the small pieces you will need from the EVAP to the guage cluster.

I have taken swapped vehicles to the ref before and if everything is done right, you get a sticker that shows it's been approved. If it'snot right and you have a donor, you just go home and pull the part off the donor and figure out how to make it work then take it back to the ref. Also, don't get rid of anything from either vehicle until you've passed the ref.

I found a hookup on a hot smog for now. Gonna just cam, turbo, rings, bearings, gasket kit the motor as long as it looks ok when I get it. Thanks for the reply though