My First 720. And First Datsun!

Brohemius

^ i believe they did justin.

But i dont need a spec sheet to say it pulls left... It should not pull into oncoming lanes by itself lol. It isnt a crazy pull but its annoying.

Another steering related issue. My wheel has about 4 inches of slop, about 2.5 inches in each direction.

Here it is turned to the right all the way (before steering engages)

20150807_163406_HDR_zpsxla6r0oe.jpg

And then turned to the left fully (again before steering engages)

20150807_163416_HDR_zpsuwid1sch.jpg

The left slop is slightly worse...

My question is, what can i do to tighten that shit up? Its annoying as hell lol.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^ i believe they did justin.

But i dont need a spec sheet to say it pulls left... It should not pull into oncoming lanes by itself lol. It isnt a crazy pull but its annoying.

Another steering related issue. My wheel has about 4 inches of slop, about 2.5 inches in each direction.

Here it is turned to the right all the way (before steering engages)

20150807_163406_HDR_zpsxla6r0oe.jpg

And then turned to the left fully (again before steering engages)

20150807_163416_HDR_zpsuwid1sch.jpg

The left slop is slightly worse...

My question is, what can i do to tighten that shit up? Its annoying as hell lol.

Get both wheels off the ground and have someone turn the wheel through the slop area while you look at the pitman arm on the steering box. Have them say right and left as the get to maximum turns.

If the pitman arm is fully moving then the slop is somewhere in the rest of the steering parts. I see a lot of new parts so that leaves the two ball joints on the ends of the cross rods, one at the pitman arm and one at the idler arm. Check the wheel bearings. On the 720 tighten the nut to 25-29 ft lbs.turn wheel several turns L&R. Check 25-29 ft lb on nut. Turn nut 45 degrees towards loosen. Instal adjuster cap and align and fit new cotter pin. Turn towards tight as much as 15 degrees to get cotter pin in.  

If the pitman arm is not moving or there is lots of steering wheel movement and not a lot of pitman arm movement then the slop or much of the slop is inside the steering box. Keep in mind that the most wear on the steering box gears will be where it is used most and that will be straight ahead. This wear can be adjusted out but when turning to the sides the clearance will be very much less and can bind up. Not something you want happening while driving around town.

Raise both wheels off the ground. Turn the wheel L&R several times to get a feel for it. The box will have a slotted and threaded adjustment screw on top with a lock nut. Loosen lock nut several turns, you may have to hold the screw with a screwdriver. Turn the screw CCW or outward. This should lift the sector shaft and pitman arm and decrease the gear lash. Then turn the steering wheel full L&R looking for any tight spots. With the wheels off the ground the steering should be near effortless and certainly smooth. Keep adjusting Until steering is tighter or there is a tight spot. Turn the adjustment in to increase the clearance and remove any tight spot and then tighten the lock nut. Hold the screw while tightening. Check one last time that there is no binding or tightness. If this does not remove all the slop then you will have to live with it or replace the box or parts. Likely there will be some improvement. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't put a whole lot of trust in their alignment. Last shop I went to left my adjusting sleeve loose on my Pathfinder.

Plus their specifications are probably wrong. I noted that when I aligned my 720. I used the measurements out of the FSM, but the specs from shopkey pro conflicted.

I just wonder if the tech didn't center the wheel correctly when he aligned it.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

Brody still has the truck, just been driving it and threw some slotted mags on a while back. It started giving him some trouble and almost sounded like it spun a bearing, because we came to find out the water pump was toast. I'm grabbing a new gasket, picking him up, and throwing one of my good water pumps in it so he will be good to make it to the shows coming up. I'll post up some pictures or make Brody get back on here to do so.

• Like 1