Just picked up 1985 720. Has a broken u-joint, swap questions?

Tspite

So I picked up this 720 with just 106,000 miles! Starts right up but has a broken u -joint (drive shafts cost 430ish new).. I was wondering as a alternative, swapping out the auto for a ka24e manual transmission. I have a wrecked hardbody in the back (sold the motor, I kick myself about it now) 5 spd, with whole driveline, so my questions are:

1. I have a whole parts truck, how hard would it be to swap in the clutch master cylinder, linkage,  etc to the auto 720? 

2. Will the drive shaft hook up to the 720s differential?

3. Will any cutting down be needed for my drive shaft or mount relocating?

I've heard horror stories of doing auto to manual conversions, but I'm wondering why not if i have a whole parts truck in the back with a great transmission and driveline...

Any help would be awesome guys! Been searching for my answers the past day and only found so little on this.

Thanks,

Tom

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't need a whole drive shaft to fix a broken U joint. You can buy them for under $20 at NAPA and change them with a hammer and a screw driver on the side of the road. Well if you have a 12mm spanner you can.

Easy enough to swap to a standard transmission if you have another 720 parts truck. It IS a 720 parts truck right?

The D-21 foot pedals probably won't fit a 720.

Did you sell the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate too? You'll need them.

The drive shaft end will bolt to the 720 diff but it's not likely the same lengths to reach the engine.

Fix the U joint and drive it as is.

• Like 2

Probably should of been a little more detailed. I have a hardbody, standard, parts truck. 

And rear driveshaft is damaged beyond repair, not only was it the u joint that broke, but the thing that held the joint in place.

I'd upload pictures but I don't have a good cable for my phone currently. 

Probably just going to have to buy a new one if I can't use any of the parts off other truck