L18 or J18? help me identify

Lockleaf

This engine is for sale near me and I just want to know which engine it is before I decide to go get it. The owner claims it's a 1976 but didn't know which engine it was. It is attached to a 4 speed trans that supposedly came with it. Thoughts?

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?page=1&ssid=33702931&nid=389&rnid=218#1

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I would think, I just am slightly weirded out by the fact that the serial plate looks more like a J than an L to me. But having never owned an L, or a J, I wanted a more experienced eye to look at it for me.

This engine is for sale near me and I just want to know which engine it is before I decide to go get it. The owner claims it's a 1976 but didn't know which engine it was. It is attached to a 4 speed trans that supposedly came with it. Thoughts?

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?page=1&ssid=33702931&nid=389&rnid=218#1

There were no '76 L18s in North America, one year only '74. 

gallery1

I'd say L18. Ask someone who has a J series exactly where the engine number is located on the block. The L is directly behind the dip stick..

There were no '76 L18s in North America, one year only '74. 

Probably an import motor, as would the J18 be (only sold in Mexico AFAIK?). I've bought a lot of various Datsuns from the 70s that had L18s transplanted. It was sold in other markets for many, many years, so there used to be a glut of "low mileage" L18s from engine importers. 

I would say it's an L block because of the exhaust manifold and where the dist. is, all the J blocks I have seen had the dist. on the right side.

What wayno said plus that trans. It's an L18.

Umm...

J18 is a smaller pushrod engine, and has the distributor on the other side. 

:rofl:

Thanks fellas. I'm now the proud owner of an L18 and a trans. It even came with the front half of the drive shaft. Nothing to put it in, but for the price I paid, I can't go wrong :-). Thanks for the help.

20150308_165102_zps96ef14c2.jpg

20150308_165055_zpsa8a8dbda.jpg

It's bolted to a welded steel structure and rigged with an ignition coil so I can even run the engine as it sits if I feel like it. Kinda neat

I have something like the engine stand, but I put wheels and a bracket to put a radiator on it, it was made for a diesel engine though, no coils or anything like that.

DSCN1224.JPG

An A87 head is a good head, it might even be a great head depending on the valves, and if it is a closed chamber.

It will probably be a long while before I open up this engine, so I won't know if it's the closed chamber version or not.

That engine run stand you built is great. I feel like it should have a motorcycle solo seat mounted on the narrow part of the trans and maybe some handle bars. Make a bitchin ratsun trike!