SOCAL: Ticketed on highway for speeding

I need some advice. My wife was just ticketed for speeding, my wife was ticketed for doing 75 in a 65, on the highway. Now the problem is, is that my wife has a really clean recorded, she was speeding up so she could pass and make her exit, she did this also because she had someone behind her. From what I could tell, she was being paced at night by the cop, and she was basically speeding up to pass and slowing down to stay within speed limit.

My wife told me that the cop told her that she slowed down because she saw him, but this wasn't a normal car, it was one of those SUVs I guess that hides the lights.

Anyways let me know what you think and if any more info is needed? I think she should fight it.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick-rat

What ever happened to slowing down to change lanes? Every one thinks that their time is more important than anyone else. The attitude that you're first, right after I get in front of you. If I have someone following me I slow down a bit to let them pass me. The real problem is that she was speeding

• Like 5
Guest Rick-rat

I'm sorry she got a ticket, that's never good. But this is Ratsun,  looking for sympathy? You can find that in the dictionary after shit and before syphilis,

Anyway, welcome to this place and it couldn't hurt to take it to court. maybe with her good driving record they might let her slide

Speeding is speeding and she got ticketed for it. 

Was a law broken? 

I'm not seeing the problem. 

Pay the ticket or go to court. 

In court she can ask for a reduced fine due to situation and past driving record. 

Own it. 

She was in the fast lanes and there was someone tail  gating her, some I'm assuming that would actually be a dangerous situation.

When in the passing lane-with someone looking to pass you-normal response should be to move right...always at the posted limit. 

You are not winning with this thread. 

First off plead innocent and fight the ticket first of all. 75 plus percent of the time the cops will not show up.ask me how I know

Second if the cop does show up take the deal from the state prosecutor they will lessen the severity and cost of the fine, and then go to traffic school and suck it up period. It will be wiped from her record and your clean. 

Remember tell your wife you don't speed up to change lanes or take a exit. the speed limit is the speed limit. Also if she was being tail gaitted then she was in the number 1 lane and going to slow for some one and she should of just got out of there way and let them pass, even if they are breaking the law.

And even if you love your wife, she's probably not telling you the whole truth.

Good luck with that. :thumbup:

• Like 4

It all depends on the laws of your state, in WA it is legal or was legal to speed when passing, it used to even be in the drivers manual, but that particular paragraph was removed years ago, you really need a lawyer that knows what is legal, as they(police/courts) don't care if your ignorant about what the laws really say until someone recites the law to them, then they will throw it out.

I have beat a ticket in the courts only to have that officer(from CA) write me another one the next time he seen me, I did not win even though I beat the first ticket.

The only time I ever won was when I refused to pay for a ticket, I got another ticket later and went to court to hopefully get it reduced(I deserved the ticket), when I went to court, we talked about the ticket I received and I told him I was speeding and I was sorry, so he reduced it in half, I got up to walk out and the judge asked me about this other ticket, I looked at him and said, is the ticket your talking about for a bald tire, he said yes, I proceeded to tell him the story about that ticket, how I was riding my chopper motorcycle wearing a vest from work that looked like colors, colors meaning something that looked like a Hells angels or a Gypsy joker jacket, the car tailgated me for half a mile, I took a left and the jerk stayed right on my ass, I gave it the gas and started to pull away from them fast and they flipped their lights on, it was a cop, so I pulled over and two cops got out and started in on me about some new law about mirrors, I listened for a while and then interrupted, I basically asked why they really stopped me, as they had been tailgating me, the guy said he had to read my lic plate, I said for half a mile, and I said I was tired of it and was going to pull away, and no way were they going to keep up when I gave it the gas, the guy asked me if I could out run a bullet, I laughed in his face and said if he was going to shoot me he was going to shoot me. :(

They wrote me a ticket for a bald tire and drove off, I never paid it, and now I was in front of him(the judge) for another ticket that I did deserve, I told him I came in and will pay for this ticket, but I didn't deserve that ticket, and I wasn't paying for it, they stopped me because it looked like I had colors on, and I walked out.

Well I thought that the ticket was going to create issues for me in a few years when it came time for me to renew my licence, I went in when it was time to renew, and they gave me a new licence for another 4 years, I walked out of there thinking that judge had thrown out the ticket when I had been in a couple years before about that other ticket, it is the only time I ever won against the police without getting screwed over later, well there was another time, but it didn't have anything to do with a traffic infraction per se.

Do what Mr Big suggested, tell the judge that the reason she sped up and got over was because of the guy tailgating her, which she didn't know was a police officer, in the future I would suggest that she don't drive in the left lane unless no one is behind her, I myself drive fast, but if someone starts catching up, I move over and let them by, I am fine with them getting the ticket.

It all depends on the laws of your state, in WA it is legal or was legal to speed when passing, it used to even be in the drivers manual, but that particular paragraph was removed years ago, you really need a lawyer that knows what is legal, as they(police/courts) don't care if your ignorant about what the laws really say until someone recites the law to them, then they will throw it out.

I have beat a ticket in the courts only to have that officer(from CA) write me another one the next time he seen me, I did not win even though I beat the first ticket.

The only time I ever won was when I refused to pay for a ticket, I got another ticket later and went to court to hopefully get it reduced(I deserved the ticket), when I went to court, we talked about the ticket I received and I told him I was speeding and I was sorry, so he reduced it in half, I got up to walk out and the judge asked me about this other ticket, I looked at him and said, is the ticket your talking about for a bald tire, he said yes, I proceeded to tell him the story about that ticket, how I was riding my chopper motorcycle wearing a vest from work that looked like colors, colors meaning something that looked like a Hells angels or a Gypsy joker jacket, the car tailgated me for half a mile, I took a left and the jerk stayed right on my ass, I gave it the gas and started to pull away from them fast and they flipped their lights on, it was a cop, so I pulled over and two cops got out and started in on me about some new law about mirrors, I listened for a while and then interrupted, I basically asked why they really stopped me, as they had been tailgating me, the guy said he had to read my lic plate, I said for half a mile, and I said I was tired of it and was going to pull away, and no way were they going to keep up when I gave it the gas, the guy asked me if I could out run a bullet, I laughed in his face and said if he was going to shoot me he was going to shoot me. :(

They wrote me a ticket for a bald tire and drove off, I never paid it, and now I was in front of him(the judge) for another ticket that I did deserve, I told him I came in and will pay for this ticket, but I didn't deserve that ticket, and I wasn't paying for it, they stopped me because it looked like I had colors on, and I walked out.

Well I thought that the ticket was going to create issues for me in a few years when it came time for me to renew my licence, I went in when it was time to renew, and they gave me a new licence for another 4 years, I walked out of there thinking that judge had thrown out the ticket when I had been in a couple years before about that other ticket, it is the only time I ever won against the police without getting screwed over later, well there was another time, but it didn't have anything to do with a traffic infraction per se.

Do what Mr Big suggested, tell the judge that the reason she sped up and got over was because of the guy tailgating her, which she didn't know was a police officer, in the future I would suggest that she don't drive in the left lane unless no one is behind her, I myself drive fast, but if someone starts catching up, I move over and let them by, I am fine with them getting the ticket.

No I did not say tells he judge you sped up to get over. A mile over is smile over they do it every time.Guilty

Wayno, the Washington law "allowing" you to go over the posted limit to pass was only for 2-lane undivided roads.  Not multilane divided freeways.  The idea being that speeding up to pass someone on a 2-lane would get you out of the oncoming traffic faster.

As far as the ticket for 10 over, that's the risk and price you pay for speeding.  If you don't want tickets, don't speed.  I rarely ever drive in the left lane- that's for "rabbits".

You aren't getting off with any excuse in California, the Judge will call you a liar and laugh in your face. I went to fight a ticket one time, I watched the Judge call every person that fought their tickets liars and tell them no reduction on the fine. I did get lucky because the court subpoenaed the officer that pulled me, I was under 65mph by then, not the officer with the radar. I got off only because they screwed up. My next ticket was on my cbr, I only brought it up to 75 to get way from a swerving moron, copper didn't give a shit even though he saw dude swerve toward me. Its all about revenues, just pay it and do traffic school, don't waste time fighting it.

• Like 1

You aren't getting off with any excuse in California, the Judge will call you a liar and laugh in your face. I went to fight a ticket one time, I watched the Judge call every person that fought their tickets liars and tell them no reduction on the fine. I did get lucky because the court subpoenaed the officer that pulled me, I was under 65mph by then, not the officer with the radar. I got off only because they screwed up. My next ticket was on my cbr, I only brought it up to 75 to get way from a swerving moron, copper didn't give a shit even though he saw dude swerve toward me. Its all about revenues, just pay it and do traffic school, don't waste time fighting it.

All true, bro. But, I'll pm you to tell you what you can do to come out clean [hopefully]. Cali wants money. Even if all that happened, as she described it, truth is cops and judges laugh within themselves once you go up against them alone in court (trust me, my friend), because it's all a setup, UNLESS you use The Book and the Law through legal representation AGAINST THEM. ;-)

I dislike interaction with law enforcement so much that I obey all traffic laws. If a cop pulls me over and I know I have done nothing wrong he better have a damned good reason for pulling me over and usually he will. If I know I messed up and he asks me, "Do you know why I pulled you over?" I respond with, "Yeah, because I did ______ a few miles back". I can't tell you how many cops have thanked me for my honesty and let me off with a warning.

Speeding up to pass someone to jump in front of them and slow down so she could make an exit....? sigh. crap like this is what's turning me into a car lover who hates to get on the highways anymore.

• Like 1

Pay fine... move on. EVERYONE SPEEDS and then rationalizes it. Did I mention the everyone speeds? Next time you're out driving, remember what I said and look down at the speedometer. I guarantee it will be above the posted limit. Above is above, and that feeling you feel is rationalization creeping in.

• Like 1

Btw in cali, traffic school doesnt completely remove the violation. Insur co and dmv still see it. Not sure what the point of school is exactly.

they see it but there are no points against you.Insurance doesn't go up.   Don't expect the judge to feel sorry for you cuz he don't care..

Btw in cali, traffic school doesnt completely remove the violation. Insur co and dmv still see it. Not sure what the point of school is exactly.

It falls off if you don't get another within 18 months, the point is to give non repeat offenders a break. Read it more carefully, I have a clean record with 2 violations in the last 4 years, no points. Still have my safe driver insurance discount.

You only have 2 choices op.

Go to court or pay up.

Speeding is speeding. Cops/court don't care why.

Actually....in Cali now....you go to court AND pay up.....

.....if you are found innocent.....you are refunded your monies.....when they feel like it.....

.....and not only that.....Cops get paid EXTRA to go to court in most cases.....

.....................they hardly miss a day unless there is something moar important.......

The cops that I know...."Please sign here and it's not an admission of guilt"

person...."I'm gonna fight this in court"

Cop...."I sure hope you do..."

He has actually said that to someone.....becuz he gets to sit on his ass for half a day and get paid almost double time....

• Like 3

Actually....in Cali now....you go to court AND pay up.....

.....if you are found innocent.....you are refunded your monies.....when they feel like it.....

.....and not only that.....Cops get paid EXTRA to go to court in most cases.....

.....................they hardly miss a day unless there is something moar important.......

The cops that I know...."Please sign here and it's not an admission of guilt"

person...."I'm gonna fight this in court"

Cop...."I sure hope you do..."

He has actually said that to someone.....becuz he gets to sit on his ass for half a day and get paid almost double time....

that's fucked up and also has the distinct ring of truth to it. pay a cop double time not to fight crime but to suck some more private dime.

If u do traffic school it does erase off record, but u can only do it once every 18 months, also treat cops with respect, i got pulled over 10 times last year and my record is squeaky clean, on the other hand, my wife has a dirty record for speeding, women just dont know how to keep an eye out for cops,

My advice, pay fine, do traffic school and thats it, record will remain clean

• Like 1

This is true, it's been a long time since I seen that paragraph, as I recall it even said that one had to immediately slow down to the speed limit after passing, I actually beat the ticket because of this with the photos I took into court, I subpoenaed the other guy he stopped at the same time as a witness, I beat the ticket, he did not, but as I said, the next time the guy seen me, I got a speeding ticket for free, I was going to fight that one, but decided to work rather than drive all the way to Centraila to fight it again.

At that time I owned a black Toyota 4X4, I got a lot of tickets in that gutless truck, when I sold it I quit getting stopped/tickets, figure that one out, I have not figured it out to this day.

I also spend most of my time in the center or right lane(three lanes) even though I drive fast all the time, most people want to be in the fast lane(left lane), so I just go by them all in the right lane except when I come up to a semi truck.

What ever happened to the signs that said stay right except when passing in WA, they should put them back up and start writing tickets, they would make billions.

Wayno, the Washington law "allowing" you to go over the posted limit to pass was only for 2-lane undivided roads.  Not multilane divided freeways.  The idea being that speeding up to pass someone on a 2-lane would get you out of the oncoming traffic faster.

As far as the ticket for 10 over, that's the risk and price you pay for speeding.  If you don't want tickets, don't speed.  I rarely ever drive in the left lane- that's for "rabbits".