Seeking engine swap advice for a 510.

DatsunKid15

Fwiw, I had a friend who recently purchased a built ass honda (motor ran 11.2 in a gutted crx) now I'm not into Hondas at all but after experiencing the potential of na motors, I much like the idea more, fast or slow, over turbo. And my whole life learning about cars i was pro-turbo this, turbo that.

If you have a power goal in mind, find what motor would be a cost effective way to achieve it without forced induction if you can.

If you're after the wooshy noises then button down and giver because that's equally as cool.

Just somthing to think about. There's also the benefit of less moving parts so the overall probability of somthing breaking is a little lower as well.

.02 in the jar

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do love turbos. I love the sound of my Cummins all spooled up, the sound of a blowoff valve popping, the whine of a high RPM racing turbo, the smooth vibrations of low RPM boost, all of it just makes me wet.

But...

Cost is the major issue with turbos. Sure, you can build a cheap turbo setup, but it won't be what you've expected, and that's when the nickel and dime effect kicks in.

A good running and reliable turbo setup with all the appropriate side dishes will put you into the $5K-$6K territory in the blink of an eye.

• Like 1

Ok so after a week or so of thinking and research, I have come to a decision. I am going for a l20b turbo EFI..............

I'm probably beating a dead horse BUT....... if your goal is to "race & beat" every honda/subi/ricer on the road then it is going to take lots & lots & LOTS of money to do that with a 40yr old Datsun no matter what engine route you take...... listen VERY CLOSELY to what the majority here is telling you.

Bottom line, an L20b twin carbed engine with exhaust is a great, reliable, quick and nearly UNTOUCHABLE handling car in the corners. Will it pull on a stock Honduh with a fart can & shitty Pep Boys stickers plastered all over it off the line, NO .... but who gives a F :angel: ck dude will be wishing he had your car anyhow. Keep it "stock" & enjoy it. It'll be much faster & funner than you think.

• Like 1

Copied this from the thread of the truck that had the LZ. 

Now-
Some of you recognize the truck. Others don't.

This truck does have Ratsun history.
fiveNdime made this truck what it is so far.

You can see what he has done here.
Also, a good share of the pictures I have posted here are pictures from his thread.

So with that-I post more of his pics.

IMG_1153.jpg

IMG_1154.jpg

So with what I can see...
Z22 block. A87 head. A set of Roadster SU's. 5 speed.

Now, I have no way to verify this...but I have been given a bit more information from a very reliable source about this motor.
That said "source" has told me multiple times...Rebello-built. Forged pistons. Worked peanut head. Big, lumpy cam.

And from driving the thing, I believe it.
This thing is fast. At least for a Datsun 4 banger.

Smoking Honda's on the freeway is always fun.
But when you do it in a 42 year-old truck...  :w00t:

Honda pulls next to me on 26W yesterday.
Looks at me. Jumps his throttle.
Just as I heard him blip, I downshifted to 4th and stood on the pedal.
Bye der!
:rofl: