Seeking engine swap advice for a 510.

DatsunKid15

Ive been looking for a Chevelle for awhile. I he doesn't bite, and you still want to trade or sell, hit me up!

Look around here a bit and see what these cars are about before you get out the sawzall.

^^ That is wise words young grasshopper.

Cool man i have no emotional ties to it,, so if your ever in the area of Olympia let me know and i would be happy to show it to you.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I decide to go with a vg30 of sorts what is a recommended tranny to go with? 

Preferably an FS5W71C 2wd from a Hardbody VG30E or the '87 and up S12. Get them both together from the same vehicle. They will fit without modding the 510 body. Yes there are the 300zx transmissions but they are TOO heavy duty and too big.

Just build a L20 it will haul ass.

Easiest would be l20b, more balls and can be upgraded fairly easily. I have an l20b with zx 5spd and sss carbs, its quite fun and with some carefully picked junkyard parts and some cash it can be Damn fun.

L20b is a great swap.

So it sounds like an L20 is a fun, well documented build. :thumbup:  Ill put some research into it. Maybe a stroker build in the future. B)

• Like 1

Hey Datsunkid, don't let these guys discourage you.

If you have a mechanical and fabriation background, a pile of cash and a full summer to build it, go for it. Just please finish it. I hate to see a good car or truck go to waste because somebody had a plasma cutter and wanted to use it.

• Like 1

Thats the main key, a big pile of cash. For any of the swaps (except l20) you will need lots of cash. Like several thousand not just a couple hundred. I remember reading the average cost for an sr swap was $4500.

Pretty much anything above an L or LZ is going to involve conversion to EFI. (high pressure fuel pump, ECU, wiring, sensors, alternator up grade and more) Also a specific transmission as the L series won't fit, so include trans mount and driveshaft mods. Larger rad, engine mount and oil pan clearance, exhaust, throttle cable  swap. Front springs to hold this up, front and back.

Now it's imperative that the brakes be well upgraded! At least 280zx struts on the front and a larger master cylinder..

While strictly speaking the H-160 will 'work' with any engine choice, the more power made, the more you should look at an R-180 and an LSD. The same with tires and rims.

This is why I recommend driving this car for a while and upgrade as you learn. Brakes, suspension, differential, wheels and tires can be purpose built towards doubling or tripling the power later. It will all be needed no matter what engine you build up for it.

• Like 3

Thats the main key, a big pile of cash. For any of the swaps (except l20) you will need lots of cash. Like several thousand not just a couple hundred. I remember reading the average cost for an sr swap was $4500.

$4500 is a good number, but that's probably assuming that most of the work is done by yourself, maybe paying to have a custom exhaust built.

I don't think I've ever seen a quality engine swap that hasn't run into the thousands of dollars. If you're paying someone to do it for you, it can be excruciating. I did a motor swap for a guy a couple years ago that cost about $25K to complete.

• Like 1

Pretty much anything above an L or LZ is going to involve conversion to EFI. (high pressure fuel pump, ECU, wiring, sensors, alternator up grade and more) Also a specific transmission as the L series won't fit, so include trans mount and driveshaft mods. Larger rad, engine mount and oil pan clearance, exhaust, throttle cable  swap. Front springs to hold this up, front and back.

Now it's imperative that the brakes be well upgraded! At least 280zx struts on the front and a larger master cylinder..

While strictly speaking the H-160 will 'work' with any engine choice, the more power made, the more you should look at an R-180 and an LSD. The same with tires and rims.

This is why I recommend driving this car for a while and upgrade as you learn. Brakes, suspension, differential, wheels and tires can be purpose built towards doubling or tripling the power later. It will all be needed no matter what engine you build up for it.

This is the best advice. Get it running and driving and get to know it before you pull the trigger on major repairs or expensive mods.

454 would twist it all to hell! Ruin the car driving wise. But just keep reading man. I've been into cars for a little over 4 years I'm 19. Fabrication sucks, lol but I'm getting ready to do a swap on my 620. If you think you know all the details on it, keep reading you'll find something else. I did a ls2 swap on my 67 camaro... what a job

after its running and you understand the 510.

than start looking into swaps and hang around here, watch build threads.

in fact there's an dyno event happening soon check that thread out in a week or two. and look at the numbers put out, im sure there will be L's 16-20, lz's, ka's, sr's and turbo cars 

• Like 1

Oh man, I remember being your age, no license, no money and dreaming of a 2 door 510 with an rb26dett in it. Now im 19, have a 510 and a donor 300zx with a vg30e sitting in my backyard but reality is hitting me...its not gonna happen anytime soon, there is just too much involved in performing a swap. My advice is...just enjoy the car as much as you can with the stock drive train and learn from it, carbs are awesome! Im learning a lot and being the only kid in the block that knows what a choke is feels pretty good. I know its hard to believe but slow is actually fun in the right car and the 510 is just perfect. After being able to drive it properly and if you have another form of transportation then start sourcing parts for an engine swap, and nope is not as easy as it seems. Best of luck getting the 510, I say go for it!

• Like 2

Ok so after a week or so of thinking and research, I have come to a decision. I am going for a l20b turbo EFI. I have been researching a bunch but haven't found any somewhat step-by-step builds or guides. Even using the search function. :thumbup:  I have started reading How to modify your Nissan and Datsun OHC engine aswell. If anyone has any experience with turboing a l20b, knows any good links/resources, or guides I would greatly appreciate your help and input!