Seeking engine swap advice for a 510.

DatsunKid15

Hello Ratsun community!

My name is Hunter and I am 15 years old in Washington State. I am buying a 510 from a neighbor and am seeking advice on a potential engine swap. I am looking to get the most power out of what I can cram into a 510 engine bay. My current options are a VG30DETT or going the route of a twin turbo Chevy 454 big block. As far as tools and fabrication goes I have almost no limitations. I am quite mechanically savvy for my age and have been working on cars for the past 2 years. My current limitation is money. As most of the more experienced Datsun enthusiasts on this forum will say "Don't go too crazy, I would hate to see someone go cutting up a 510 and abandoning it due to money." I completely agree! I can lock down a big block 454 with trans and drivetrain for under $1500. On the other hand I can't find anywhere local with a vg30dett. I would love any comments or suggestions you have! Once I figure out what I am going to do I will make a thread on here for anyone who would like to follow!

Thank you for any comments or suggestions!

~Hunter 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Ratsun Hunter. First off I will say that I will try to keep everyone off your neck for this.

Then I will say,,, what are you wanting from this that you can't find a Vega or Pinto to stick this 454 into? Why a 510? A car renowned for it's handling performance.  I assume this is for drag racing? if so just get any other POS for that. This is going to ruin the 510s handling and enjoyment of driving. Even the VG engine isn't going to fit with twin turbos. The stock engine is about 250 pounds, what does a 454 weigh? about 700 pounds? This will handle like a turd and is a poor, poor idea. You can do much better than this if you try. 

I'm going to bed. See you in the morning when this post has blown up. :lol:

• Like 3

seeing as your 15... and therefore don't have a licence.

Just get it driveable on an L motor.

Speed costs money...............

and neither of those engines "fit" in a 510.

I use quotes because yes, technically you could physically put them in that bay. but they don't really "fit"

Vg30dett has been done. and it was was such a pain in the ass and spent more time having to be fucked with than driven,

he swore to never build another one for a customer ever again.

• Like 4

Welcome Hunter :)

You knew it was coming, so there is no reason to be upset with anyone.

I cannot say I agree that the choices are both bad ideas, because there are 510s out there with VG30s in them, but I can honestly say that the big block probably isn't a great choice, and the VG30 is going to take a lot of work, time, and money to find and make/fabricate all the correct parts to make it work, you will likely have to spend as much time sourcing/finding what you need or what will work as you will doing the conversion.

Yello620 converted a 620 over to a VG30, it was an awesome truck, it took him years to get it done, but it was done right, he spent a lot of time in the wrecking yards finding out what was used in every Nissan ever made with a VG30, or what other engine parts would fit a VG30, like starters, they made lots of differently clocked starters, so he found all of them and figured out which one would clear everything.

I am positive that there are 510s out there with chevy small blocks in them that possibly are still on the road, that was the standard conversion back in the 60s/70s/80s, but there are engines made these days that will do circles around an old school chevy engine that are much lighter, but it's your car, and I have seen a few MGs with V8s in them, but I never rode in one to see if it was fun to drive in anything other than a straight line.

• Like 1

Putting a big block in a 510 is as ridiculous as trying to make an autocross Cadillac Fleetwood. I'll never understand 510 drag cars, it's a damn abortion. Pinto, Vega, Monza, Maverick, Gremlin/Pacer...all better suited to do a big block swap. I honestly would put up money the you'd never finish without having a pro do most of the work.

Edit: I just re-read, and saw it's a twin turbo big block you want to put in a dime...that's just flat out not going to happen. Bust out a tape measure and be honest with yourself, 2 years experience is no where near enough.

I'm not even going to comment on the 454. VG30DETT has been done, but it's not at all a "drop in" deal, so that's not a great idea either. The money you'd spend on the brake and suspension upgrades would be in the thousands, and probably worth more than every other part in the car combined. Yes, you would have to upgrade them. Stock brakes are hardly sufficient for a mildly built street 510, let alone something with 300+hp.

Whether it already has an L series of not, stick with it. They're stupid simple and are virtually bulletproof. A lot of people buy 510s with no clue of what they actually have; they see one online, run out and buy one, start some engine swap, the realize they're in way over their head, and end up selling it as a project car. Get one as complete as possible, learn how everything works, understand and become comfortable with the feel of the car, and decide later what you can realisticly do.

• Like 1

There is a precedent for a big block in a 510. Back in the 80's a guy I knew, Robbie Duarte had a injected 468 ci big block in his 510. It was a drag car and it ran 8 seconds in the quarter mile.

But yeah, a 510 is not a car to be stuffing huge horsepower heavy weight engines into. Light and fast is what I would be thinking.

VG30DETT is a big and heavy.. and it's a major dick to get running right. There are a lot of better options. Just stick with a KA or SR.. Or something even more modern.. but big blocks, no way.

If it runs right now.. just drive it! Yet your 15, and don't have a license. 

cartbeforehorse.jpg

I will trade you a 71 chevelle 2door that is mostly complete, needs interior,,   for your 510,,,,,,  a 454 will fit in that dang good.  

I am completely serious.

We are located in Tumwater WA 

Ive been looking for a Chevelle for awhile. I he doesn't bite, and you still want to trade or sell, hit me up!

As far as mutating a Datsun, I am teetering on the edge of being a hypocrite here, I say don't do either a VG or a BBC, or anything else for that matter. Stroke and bore an L motor and drive it. First of all, the 510 is a unibody, made of thin material. This makes it light, but flexible. The amount of stiffening, brake and suspension upgrades involved to make it live would really make it not even a 510 anymore. And all of that would be $$$$$$$$$$$$. 

I think you will be surprised how nimble and fun your stockish 510 will be to drive. Weight vs HP is the name of the game here. Not just gimme more HP. 

Look around here a bit and see what these cars are about before you get out the sawzall.

• Like 1

Hello Ratsun community!

My name is Hunter and I am 15 years old in Washington State. I am buying a 510 from a neighbor

Or a car yet. It may not even have a drivetrain in it.

If the price is right maybe get the 510 even if a shell. (but look toward the future as a parts car or acquiring another for parts and making a runner from them both) If it has a running 4 cylinder definitely get it and learn to drive in it while you learn to build and modify it. No one goes out and starts with a 454 510 I don't care who you are. You have to crawl before you walk and skills are build upon previous experiences. Crawl, walk... then run.

You will notice that 99.99% of your driving isn't full throttle acceleration. What a surprise!!! Now is when you will notice how much fun the 510 is to just ... drive. It's at it's best on corners and can stay with and eat a few newer cars (but don't go Porsche hunting yet) so next you will want to improve on the 45 year old tire/suspension/brake technology. Get it lower, firm up the suspension and best of all the brakes. Only a fool would have a car that can't stop faster than it can accelerate. A good handling car can avoid 80% of accidents and brakes most of the rest. Now you can pound the corners even harder with confidence. 

By now, with driving experience mounting and the car handling sorted out, some engine power can be added. An engine swap may be in order. All increased power is for, is shortening the time between corners.  :lol: 

Thank you all for your comments!

I wasn't planning to just start with a 454 or any other engine for that matter. I am going to get the car and restore it to a point where it is very reliable and a great daily driver. Then go from there. Seeing that my two ideas were not the best  :P what are some good swaps that are possible, affordable, and fun to drive? I value any suggestions and am more than happy that there has already been this many comments just over night! Thanks for your comments!

~Hunter

The L20B is the same series as your L16, only larger displacement. Think of it as a 'stroker engine'. It will fit on the same mounts and the 510's 4 speed will bolt right to it. You would be hard pressed to tell the difference between them looking at it. It's about 20 pounds heavier and about 20 more hp. The 510 is only about 2,100 pounds so an extra 20 hp will make a big difference. Weight about 280 pounds

Other engine choices will require you to replace the transmission also.

Z series

Mostly carburetor 2.0, 2.2 and 2.4 liters displacement, this engine is just a larger L series with a different head design on it. The head design is not at all performance oriented but... an L series head can be 'grafted' onto it making a hybrid LZ22 or LZ24. Again a larger 'stroker' L20B with even more power. 

KA series

Both are EFI 2.4 liters but with vastly better breathing, SOHC 3 valve and DOHC 4 valve heads and EFI and 145 and 155 hp. Weight around 360. 

VG30E

EFI 3.0 liter V6 engine with slightly more hp (160) but much greater torque and about 380 pounds.

• Like 1

Vg30e or vg30i are fairly common, you can even carb them and not have to fuck around with wiring. The engine is heavier as well as a trans to put behind it, you have to upgrade suspension or it becomes nosy. Easiest would be l20b, more balls and can be upgraded fairly easily. I have an l20b with zx 5spd and sss carbs, its quite fun and with some carefully picked junkyard parts and some cash it can be Damn fun.