Ka24de into my 521

AMK521

Ok so if there is a thread on this already feel free to just refer me to it but I didn't see one so here goes. I've started a ka24de swap in my 521 and the only mock up issue I have run into that isn't really easily overcome is the steering and the oil pan. Do I have any rear sump options or do I have to make my own pan?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I might have left out a relatively important detail. I got a frame from a 79 620. Well the front half of a frame haha I'm doing a frame off and just using the front portion from the 620 to get the ball joint disc brake front end. So I don't seem to be having any crossmember issues at this point. I thought about flipping that drag link but the taper on the ball joints would be wrong. Don't people have issues with that?

Yes. They fill them in and redrill so the taper is underneath. 

The benefit to swapping the front half of the frame seems minimal to have ball joints. 

Beebani makes upper control arms for the kingpin trucks so you can have ball joints and hardbody spindles without all the work. 

$400, I think. PM here through here or find his listings all over eBay.

It's not just gaining balljoints. There are many other benefits not the least of which is a more modern suspension geomoetry. The camber and caster gain have been greatly improved in the balljoint suspensions. The 320 I built with the 720 front clip was absolutely a blast to drive.

Here's that build thread if anyone's interested. http://community.ratsun.net/topic/34698-320-balljoint-conversion/

It's not that difficult of a job.

Custom pan. 

Had you used a truck block, you would be set. 

You could flip the drag link(plenty of threads with people doing so in 620s) and grind down that crossmember bar that your KADE is currently resting against. 

It seems a lot of people make this mistake. Truck motors are my choice always.

• Like 1

I might have left out a relatively important detail. I got a frame from a 79 620. Well the front half of a frame haha I'm doing a frame off and just using the front portion from the 620 to get the ball joint disc brake front end. So I don't seem to be having any crossmember issues at this point. I thought about flipping that drag link but the taper on the ball joints would be wrong. Don't people have issues with that?

Then you might want to review this thread:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/22191-1977-620-kingcab-deluxe/

okie dokie then.. 

just to clarify..

its a 521 body on a or with a late 620 frontend? correct?

if thats so, then have the pitman and idler arm welded and retapered on the bottom side. flip the link after that. 

you might take a 1/4in off the topside of the engine crossmember to give it room. 

i would use ]2edeye's KA 620 mounts and see where that gets ya. 

The car pan fits onto the truck block, but not the other way. At least with the E. 

On the KA24E this is true. The car DE has an internal oil pump while the truck DE is external just like the L and Z series engines. These oil pans are differently shaped at the front where they mate to the block/timing cover and will not swap.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

On the KA24E this is true. The car DE has an internal oil pump while the truck DE is external just like the L and Z series engines. These oil pans are differently shaped at the front where they mate to the block/timing cover and will not swap.

so could you take the pan and front cover from a truck DE and swap onto the car DE in order to get the external oil pump? ?

this is regarding the ka in my 510 btw with an already flipped x-member?

i have a 240sx ka24de, and to replace the oil pump/timing cover is about 400$, 

with the truck cover they are a quarter of that