Gumby - Dragon Green 521

HOGIE

Last we got a lot of things done. I buttoned up a bunch of the minor yet important details and Al spent the whole time aging detective trying to figure out what PO did to the electrics.

It turns out that the ignition switch is correct and they wired around it somehow. This means for now it's getting a push button starter switch, tonight.

It will start tonight. Then more brake work and exhaust and it will be a driver.

• Like 4
  • Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have probably thrown this out to you before, but here it is again.

521wires.jpg

Start circuit is really simple.  A thick white wire from the battery side of the fusebox goes to the ignition switch.  The ignition switch connects a black wire, with a yellow stripe to the power when cranking, that wire goes to the starter solenoid, small terminal.

If you have ignition power, half of the start circuit is already done.

• Like 2

I have probably thrown this out to you before, but here it is again.

521wires.jpg

Start circuit is really simple. A thick white wire from the battery side of the fusebox goes to the ignition switch. The ignition switch connects a black wire, with a yellow stripe to the power when cranking, that wire goes to the starter solenoid, small terminal.

If you have ignition power, half of the start circuit is already done.

Your right, the start circuit is simple. The problem is that the ignition switch that came to me in the truck, and it's the only one I have at this point, only has OFF and POWER positions. And to try to get this to work the PO made 'things' happen. Those 'things' are all wrong. When I can get my hands on the correct switch it will all go back to where it should be. For now it gets a push button start switch.

I need to print that diagram out in large print. Some said they did that and it sounds like an awesome idea

• Like 1

This thing running yet?

Nope.

Spent almost the whole night working on taking the brakes apart. Wheels cylinders are pretty bad. Once the brakes are fixed getting the engine running will happen. Can't drive with no brakes

I did get all the wheel cylinders to come apart. Won't get around to doing anything this weekend but next week I'm taking the drums to get turned and rebuild the adjusters and clean up the wheels cylinder pistons.

These need help

image_zps8nijt8ph.jpg

• Like 2

I just did all of that to mine. Every serviceable piece replaced.

Rebuilding the adjusters was the shittiest part.

If yours are anything like mine you'll be in it for a few hours.

Yuck.

Yuck is right. Dried out grease, brake dust build up and rust. I plan to have everything cleaned up and reinstalled by Wednesday night. Engine running, rolling and braking properly.

Over the next few day I'm going to put the heart box all back together too

• Like 2

Yuck is right. Dried out grease, brake dust build up and rust. I plan to have everything cleaned up and reinstalled by Wednesday night. Engine running, rolling and braking properly.

Over the next few day I'm going to put the heart box all back together too

Have you gotten the adjusters apart yet?

• Like 3

The star wheel/sleeve was the hardest part and all 4 were equally bad.

Get some round metal brushes to clean all the tubes when apart. Couple bucks from Home Depot.

Wire wheel the threaded rod.

Lots of anti-seize on everything.

And mark them all. Left and right matter. Front to rear do not.

• Like 3

I did already get both of the front adjusters apart last week.

Haven't done anything with the truck this weekend. Bunch of this

image_zps8uirlgur.jpg

They all have been covered in PB for the last few days. Wheel cylinders are soaking in WD. Tomorrow or Tuesday the plan is scrub up rusty shit and get wheels turned.

Gonna stop like a mutherfucker

• Like 6

Like it was said before, front and back ironically does not matter.  The left and right side is really not that important, if put on the wrong side, you just have to remember to turn the star wheel the other way to adjust the brakes tigher.

• Like 2

who has the specs for the maximum turnable diameter for 521 brake drums?

I don't have a 521 SM and google hasnt helped yet

Edit: Figured it out. 255.5mm or 10.06"

521 Brakes

http://vintage.mitchell1.com/PClubData/chassis/chis73/V2I737046.pdf

521 Service Manual

http://www.datsun510.com/manuals/Service_Manual_Datsun_Pick-Up_Model_521_Series_Chassis_and_Body.pdf

• Like 2