F54 block, are there differences between the years?

Joey J

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the turbo motors have piston oilers or anything else that would make them special, so no, I don't think turbo blocks are any different from a non turbo L28. The only thing I can think of is maybe, and this is purely a supposition, maybe the cylinder walls are thicker.

Were the F54 blocks turbo only? Or were they non turbo blocks as well? The answer to that question may indicate one way or the other.

I don't think the turbo motors have piston oilers or anything else that would make them special, so no, I don't think turbo blocks are any different from a non turbo L28. The only thing I can think of is maybe, and this is purely a supposition, maybe the cylinder walls are thicker.

Were the F54 blocks turbo only? Or were they non turbo blocks as well? The answer to that question may indicate one way or the other.

I beleive turbo and non turbo both use F54 blocks but I was hoping to confirm that between the years there are no changes.

Would you mind elaborating on this? I don't understand if the 2nd number is for a p90 head and why your including it.

11041-P9080 is the L28ET head number

11010-P9080 is the L28ET block number

11010-F5480...... L28E used through '81

11010-P9080...... L28ET '80.5 - '83 and all L28E after '81

11010-F5480...... L28E used through '81 this is the block part number. Only the L28E used it and there were no turbo engines before 12 '80 or half way through the '81 model year.

11010-P9080...... L28ET '80.5 - '83 and all L28E after '81 When the turbo L28ET came out the old block number was superseded to P9080. Supersedence changed the part number, and there may be some minor changes/improvements, but it does allow earlier applications to use it. All L28ET blocks were P9080 but may not work on the earlier F5480 block. (this could be simply a threaded bolt hole needed for the turbo but not having any affect on the earlier L28E engine that could simply ignore it.)

On the other hand it may not have any affect and simply be some metallurgical or casting improvemnet .

It sounds like you need to do a visual inspection of your block and see if there are any visual differences between the block you have and another L28 block. I do know that you can build a turbo motor out of a standard L28 block, it will hold up, but I don't know if all the stock L28T components will physically bolt up to a non turbo block.

Also, I'm sure you have the wiring and components for the rest of the motor somewhere. Take a stock of what components are there, like brackets, knock sensor, etc. As always, it will boil down to pics. Upload a couple pics and maybe we can help you with your problem.

You could always call an engine building shop and ask them. I'm sure the guys at Rebello http://www.rebelloracing.com/ or Dando's http://www.autorepairfremontca.com/ will have the answers you're seeking.