RIP Mr k.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. K was an amazing man. He lived a great life and made huge contributions to the automotive world. I am so thankful that I had a chance to meet him in person, twice.  

RIP. You will always be remembered.

86CA45FE-CA7F-4763-B716-51FEF9268456_zps

Sorry about the reflections on the glass. 

• Like 6

Damn...just...damn. Mr. K has achieved immortality through the legends created under his command. He had an amazing vision and pulled it off to perfection. Our lives were positively impacted by Mr. K, he is the reason we all drive Datsuns, I'm grateful every time I hit the key and go for a ride.

“A sports car doesn’t have to be luxurious. It should be affordable so that anyone can own one, it should be easy to maintain, and it should be something that you can enjoy without having to spend too much money. To attach a price tag of $50,000 to a sports car just seems uncomfortable to me. You can get any price you want if you increase the number and level of features and equipment. But if you don’t add any extra equipment and features and you can still experience great exhilaration when driving, then that’s the best situation as far as I am concerned! After all, all you need to ride a horse is a saddle (laughter).”
~ Yutaka Katayama 

• Like 2

I'll post my NissanSport article on him here in a few hours. The world has lost a great person, a visionary and so much more. Do something on your car today in hour of mr K. And hit the gas a little hard next time you get a chance.

• Like 2

I loved hearing his story of the first time he got onto an American freeway. He said he was so freaked out that he took the first off ramp.

His understanding of American markets paved the way for the Datsun/Nissan motorsports powerhouse they became. Racing would never be the same had he not crested our shores.

Yutaka Katayama (片山豊, born Yutaka Asoh; 15 September 1909 – 19 February 2015), aka Mr K.

I have to admit I heard of Mr. K's passing on NPR this Monday, and I instantly thought of the Rat pack. Many of the new guy's may know of him in passing, or not at all, so I thought I'd put together a small bio to help  document what he means to our beloved Datsuns.

As president of Nissan Motor Corporation U.S.A. Katayama's contribution was expanding the company's focus from economy vehicles towards sportier vehicles in the US market. After doing market research in 1960, he returned to Nissan in Japan and persuaded the company to start its own sales company in the United States. Mr. K was instrumental in rebranding the Nissan image for the US market and helped name the Datsun brand. The new company started to import the first of the Fairlady models in 1960 through to the Datsun 2000 Roadster. The Datsun 320 pickup hit the American shores in 1961, but it was the introduction of the 520 pickup in 1965 that took it from the 100s in sales to 10s of thousands. In 1968, the Datsun 510 was introduced at a cost of $2,000, and in 1970 he introduced the Datsun 240Z to the US.

The success of Datsun came from Mr. K’s understanding of the North American market, and the confidence he had in his product. He knew that for Datsun to gain legitimacy as a sports car in the US, these cars would have to compete and win on the race track. Pete Brock's BRE team’s first success was in 1966 driving a 1300cc Pre-Toyota: Hino Contessa Coupe at a Times-Mirror event in Riverside Raceway. When Brock Racing Enterprises began successfully racing Datsun 2000 roadsters, Katayama asked for a meeting and the rest is history. Datsun/Nissan earned a record 84 SCCA Manufacturers Championships and established Datsun as the Godzilla of racing in the 70s and 80s.

Yutaka Katayama was inducted into the Automotive Hall of Fame on October 13, 1998, and he was inducted into the Japan Automotive Hall of Fame in 2008. What’s interesting to note here; Automotive Hall of Fame honors are normally reserved for designers, and corporate executives. Mr. K was neither, he was essentially a salesman with massive balls and vision. Without question, the charismatic “Mr. K” almost single-handedly changed the way Americans look at Japanese cars. Although he was not there designer, to Datsun enthusiasts he is regarded as the father of the Datsun 510, as well as the Z-Cars. 

RIP Mr. K(ing)