L16 in a '67 411

datO)))

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was your crossmember modified for the a-series you have now. I am having to do quite a bit to fit in a series, due to the oilpan configuration., I think a L fits but you might not keep your stock Wiindshield wiper motor and have to do electric fans, fab motor mounts/ trans mounts, etc. Is the a series not fast enough? And for the love of God, PICS!!!!

• Like 1

Search harder next time. :rofl: There's pics of the L20b in my '66 411 scattered around.

Yes, it can:

engine.jpg

but  you will need to:

1. Fabricate custom mounts, but not like the crappy ones the PO did:

motor_mount0001.jpg

motor_mount0003.jpg

2. Modify the cross-member and/or oil pan to clear.The PO sawzalled mine, hammered the oil pan, then welded in some flat stock. No pics of that mess, though maybe I'll take some and add to this thread now that the engine is out.

3. Be creative on Items 1 and 2 otherwise you'll need to cut a hole in the hood to clear the front bump on the L-series valve cover.

hoodhole2.jpg

hoodhole1.jpg

4. Cut off the front of the water pump because the L-series length doesn't leave room for the fan. Notice the lower radiator hose snaking under the engine.

inlethose1sm.jpg

5. Add electric fan to front of radiator.

IMG_5995.jpg

6. Figure out alternative wiper motor arrangement as the height of the L-series puts the rear of the valve cover in the wiper motor mounting area. Car on left has R16, car on right is mine before selling L20b.

wipermotormount.jpg

I was also going to swap the Weber 32/36 for L18SSS 38mm SU's, but then I would've run into clearance issues with the 280ZX brake master cylinder for the disc brake conversion. 

I got tired of all these problems, and sold the L20b to a very happy 620KC owner. Wish I'd asked for more money. Anyway, if I keep the 411, I'm thinking KA24, but I have to finish the roadster and 914 first.

I'm not telling you not to do it, just highlighting all the problems I ran into. If you do it, please document and take pics.

Cheers.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

The A is slow and runs shitty do to carb. It surges and the trans is fucked.

I'm gonna use the 4speed from the L16 for now but as for the motor , the swap will need to wait. A guy came into work

However and has done this swap three times. I would need to go with electric fans and lower the whole shiteroo 1.5"

To clear the wiper motor.

I don't have a computer so I can upload any pictures. I would be

Glad to email or text some though☺️

• Like 1