78 b210 2 door wheel advice?

Cooper78b210

I have a 78 b210 2 door non hatch.stock ride height and 100% all new suspension.I know it's been posted before but I was looking for more specific advice. I plan on doing 14x7 wheels but don't know what to do for backspacing... the 13s that are on it now have 2 inches of backspace. No room to bring the tires in so they have to go out. I have over an inch of room to bring the tire out without rolling the fenders. I'm guessing the 13s are 6 inches wide. So if I keep that same 2 inch backspacing on the 14x7s then the wheel will come out closer to the fender by 1 inch correct? And matched with 185/60/14 tires it should fit correct?? None of the tire shops near me have anything really in 14x7 wheels and can't help me figure out fitment. Most of the places didn't even take a look. I need this advice before I order my wheels and tires online. So far I'm thinking of the bassett racing wheels. 4 lug 14x7 d slotted steelies in black.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you keep the same back space then the new rim will be 1/2" wider inward and outward. Rather that keep the 2" backspace, get new rims that have a 1.5" backspace. This will place the new wider tire the same distance inward as the old tire and outward by one inch.  

This assumes that you have measured properly, but you say "I'm guessing the 13s are 6 inches wide." which isn't reassuring.  Obviously you are not running stock tires or rims right now? I would get under there and make sure that there is no room left to move the rim inward, specially on the fronts with the wheels turned. Get a rim width and a tire tread width and confirm the back spacing. Also what size tire do you have right now? You will need this for selecting a 14" tire that is the same diameter so your speedometer stays accurate and the gearing isn't changed. 

I am pretty sure they are just stock steel wheels. It has 175/70/13 tires on it now and the tire inflated on the wheel is a little over 6 inches wide and the wheel is just a little less than that so they are 6 inches wide.And the speedo is off 10 mph right now. It says 10 mph slower than actual speed. And I just checked and I have exactly 1 inch of room to move inward in the front which is where I'm more concerned.

Stock tire size is 155 /70? /13 which would explain some of the speedo error.

Well then a 7" rim on the same off set will move inwards 1/2" and outwards 1/2"  As you say you have 1" of clearance inward and outward, you seem to be good.

Maybe a 1/4" spacer or you will be getting close to your fender.

185/60R14  would be almost exactly what you have for diameter now and just over 7.25" wide.

Do you have the B-210 operator's manual or is the stock tire size listed on the door jam? Do you know what tire came on the car new???