Knocking A14 Engine

geewizz

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5ipPuEHgW2g"frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I know little to nothing about cars, but I am trying to learn. I have had my car for about a year now it is my first car/ daily driver and was planning to get my engine rebuilt. The car use to run fine the only thing wrong with it was I had to press the gas multiple times to take off at a stop sign and light or else the car would turn off. I messed with the carb and got it to run better. About two days ago when I got home from work I heard hissing coming from under the hood I popped the hood to find a little mist of water was coming out the back part of my radiator and the car was overheated. I don't think my car had any water :mellow: I filled up my car then it was running fine for the next day. This morning my car was acting up and I could hear a hard knocking coming from the engine and it won't stay on with out pumping gas. If I take off the last spark plug wire from the distributor cap it sounds/ feels better (I didn't drive it like this). When I try to put it back on the cap the car turns off. :blush:

So what do you guys think is going on? How can I fix it? and recommendation on my next step.

Im all ears (well in this case all eyes :rofl: )

Any information / input will be awesome please and thank you

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nthHYQ1rt9s"frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hopefully you guy can see the videos.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't a 2015 car that looks after itself because the owners can't be bothered. These Datsuns don't have lights or gongs to remind you to check your engine. This is something every Datsun owner has to know and do. It's called preventative maintenance. 

I think you should check your rad water at least once a week (daily if it constantly needs refilling) and watch your temp gauge more often. Boiling over is inexcusable and with a cast iron block and aluminum head it almost always either blows a head gasket or warps the head. (or both).

Oil is just like the rad it needs to be checked and topped up. (again as often as required to keep it full) This is crucial and can't be left to chance. If the knock goes away with the plug wire off you possibly have a bad rod bearing. Hopefully just the head gasket is blown.

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

PhotoGrid_1427929989688_zpsujoygcmt.jpg

So I took out the engines to find out was going on. The rod bearings where good and I didn't have a blown head gasket nor a warped head. While cleaning everything I found out my valve rocker shaft snapped into two..

CAM03085_zpsuit155bj.jpg

Can't find anything on this. Is there any trick to this or can I just take it apart keep everything in order and put everything (in order) to the new shaft.