Fisch's 1970 510 wagon- Mr Clean (Art & De-Smog Manifold!)

fisch

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What the!? Scott is working on his wagon? Trying to make a push to get it running and painting a lil art on it.

Worked on the left side today. Fuel pump, coolent block connecting pipe, Alternator cleaned up and installed, and even painted a little kabuki dude on the Starter solenoid.

IMG_6267.jpg

Having questions about the intake side. First this has a smog pump on it and a double crank pulley to run it. It has a basic smog exhaust manifold, but a non smog intake manifold. Did a '70 even come with all this smog stuff?

IMG_6264.jpg

It isn't as crazy as this one which I think came off an L18. Is there anything useable in this? The intake is attached to the exhaust manifold, would it even work with a non smog intake?

IMG_6270.jpg

I am missing hoses, I don't know how it hooks up, I may just nix it all. Especially if it wouldn't be on an 70 L16. But I do have these NOS hoses but I don't know what they are for, anyone? I will do a part# search.

IMG_6268.jpg

OK About the T-stat housing? What gives with the part sticking out that has two tiny outlets on it? (Right hand side of the housing on the head in this pic.) What is it for? Am I better of putting the simple T-stat housing I have in my hand on there? It literally has one outlet and one sensor.

IMG_6269.jpg

And finally, this engine it totally rebuilt and never run. It is actually still in assembly lube and doesn't have oil in it even. Looks factory new under the valve cover and en every hole I've peeked through. The radiator looks brand new. I open the cap and peek inside and what? I think I should probably pull it and try to clean it out. What ever it is it is dry. Kinda crusty.

IMG_6265.jpg

Hoping some Ratsun Brains can help me ponder some of this. I has been over a year I just want it on the road in the most efficient way possible. And everytime I think about modding something it is like a Domino effect. I am actually curious to drive a bone stock 510. Never have.

I think that velve changes your vacum advance when it warms up, but it's been so long, I'm not sure.

• Like 1

I've been looking at a ton of t-stat housings, and it is crazy how different they are, like some lower portions have no outlet at all and only the temp sensor. Also I looked at the pipe that comes off the spark side of the block down by the waterpump, and sometimes those have two outlets and sometimes, like mine, they have 3.

But I managed to get the smog pump off and have removed the smog stuff on the exhaust manifold. Oics soon. Much cleaner.

• Like 3

On with the desmogging of the L series manifold. After seeing that getting the fittings and tubes out was going to be problematic, I went for a quick and clean solution.

Step 1:

IMG_6286.jpg

Step 2:

IMG_6287.jpg

Step 3:

IMG_6293.jpg

Step 4:

IMG_6294.jpg

Step 5:

IMG_6295.jpg

Step 6:

IMG_6296.jpg

Step 7:

IMG_6298.jpg

• Like 3

Did I read that you have a downdraft offy manifold for an L? I need some pics of that. I've seen them for Yotas, but not a Datsun.

indeed just cleaning it up tonight actually. Think i might put it on this car, but I do like the simplicity of the stock non smog l16 manifold all polished up. Will post some pics soon.

Turns out in the rebuilding of this engine the head was shaved up to the number 210. My timing positions seems off, is it a result of that? I have a thread about it so folks who run into the same problem can find it easier. If you can help, please give it a gander.

Here http://community.ratsun.net/topic/69593-help-timing-a-shaved-head-l-16-whats-off/

In other non shaved head timing news (See above) I decided on an intake and torqued the manifolds down for hopefully the last time. But I wanted to get Dukerollo some pics of the Offenhauser he asked for.

In went for the stock polished L16 and high-rise adapter and it just looked cleaner than the Offey (Which maybe I will save for my 73.) With all my painting the bay is so busy already, I liked the calmness of the stocker and the proudness of the high rise weber adapter, lol! The offy would look better with some sanding and polishing, but with all those brass plugs, again I just wanted a cleaner look.

Offenhauser

IMG_6328.jpg

IMG_6329.jpg

Stock and riser

IMG_6330.jpg

IMG_6331.jpg

• Like 1

On with the desmogging of the L series manifold. After seeing that getting the fittings and tubes out was going to be problematic, I went for a quick and clean solution.

Step 3:

IMG_6293.jpg

Next time, I highly recommend plugging those intake manifold openings before drilling. Hope you vacuumed the $h!t out of 'em before bolting on the manifold.