Fisch's 1970 510 wagon- Mr Clean (Art & De-Smog Manifold!)

fisch

Looks like the car is set up old school hot rod style. Might be custom lengthened struts to give it that rake?

d00eba6a5def7214f104e2a53860cef1.jpg

:devil:

LOL I totally wondered that. It would fit with the Weld wheels for sure, but not with what is under the hood LOL..

• Like 1
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Step 1: Get it in my name.

Step 2: get it running.

Step 3: get it stopping

Step 4: Get it lower

Step 5: Get it new wheels to celebrate.

Thank you for doing 4 before doing 5

But you can always get the wheels first, just mount them later.

Here is a decent set - you said you wanted JDM style right?  How 'bout some Hayashi Streets?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/pts/4896109767.html

(not mine)

00n0n_fjNAocOnZpr_600x450.jpg

Oh, and by the way...  You need a shave.  :thumbup:

Mr._Clean_logo.png

• Like 2

Here is a decent set - you said you wanted JDM style right?  How 'bout some Hayashi Streets?

(not mine)

Mr._Clean_logo.png

DatMo posted a set of these in the classifieds for $100 cheaper. :)

• Like 1

regarding the struts.......I'm pretty sure there were two different lengths.  I think the early ones....'69? were longer.  I wonder if they've been swapped at some point with another set of stock stuts, but they didn't notice the length difference.  Hino might remember......I think he's the one that was telling me about it when he bought some '68 parts off me years ago.

• Like 1

regarding the struts.......I'm pretty sure there were two different lengths.  I think the early ones....'69? were longer.  I wonder if they've been swapped at some point with another set of stock stuts, but they didn't notice the length difference.  Hino might remember......I think he's the one that was telling me about it when he bought some '68 parts off me years ago.

That could be Mike! It is a 1970, so maybe some 69 stuff carried over? I am only seeing one caliper in the boxes, so if I need to replace the other one I may as well go zx. (Though I bet original calipers are cheap, since they've been removed from almost every dime in the country.)

I had a minor thought to keep everything stock on this goon all the way to the original carb and brakes, even the smog stuff. Cause it is so close to that. You know, just to see what it was originally really like new. And so few of them are totally stock anymore. But I got this to drive, and modern-ish brakes, a lower stance, a weber, and a clean non smog engine isn't like taking a saws-all to it! (Never.)

The thing to do is maybe not modify the stock struts and smog manifold, but put them on a shelf, and use replacements parts for altering. Then it can be put back to 100% stock in a weekend.

• Like 1

Fisch has the radiator and heater core been gone through.  Be a good idea to get them done so you do not blow a bunch of crap into your nice new engine.

Those floors look like an AZ car!

The radiator looks brand new charlie, but you are 100% correct cause, heck even if it is, the cars been sitting long enough those evil fury critters may have moved in. Better safe than sorry.

• Like 1

(not mine)

Mr._Clean_logo.png

Alas one of the reasons to do 4 before 5 is so the wallet can recover from getting the goon! Lol! And just like Datsuns are rare you almost never see JDM wheels on New England CL.

But I am making a trip to japan in April, maybe I can save up enough by then. Top on my list right now are techno phantoms.

• Like 2

I noticed how dirty the heater core hose nipple was.  That is why I asked. 

How do you find these gems?

Right! I noticed that too and it makes me think it hasn't been dealt with because the PO was a perfectionist and he tried not put anything back on the car unless it was new or looked new. Plus the interior was not repainted, so there was no reason for him to take it out. So I am guessing you are correct for the heater core.

• Like 1

I noticed how dirty the heater core hose nipple was.  That is why I asked. 

How do you find these gems?

Oh and as to how I find them, I guess it is 'car-ma'? :rofl:  THis one was for sale off and on for a year. Apparently it was waiting around for me.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

No progress to report. But I did do some garage shuffling and had to snap some pics. Then I placed that valve cover I custom painted years ago under the hood. Yummy!

IMG_1753.jpg

IMG_1741.jpg

IMG_1745.jpg

IMG_1747.jpg

IMG_1742.jpg

IMG_1734.jpg

IMG_1735.jpg

IMG_1738.jpg

IMG_1732.jpg

• Like 10

Man that valve cover is awesome!! On another note if you want to bring those wheels over I'll buy em or we can swap for a set I got here in Japan :)

Thanks man! Tempting on the wheels, but they are actually growing on me, at least as a back up wheel. Not to mention I think we are going to max out our carry-on baggage, LOL!

• Like 3

....subscribed.....

First I was jealous....now I'm getting pi$$ed for no legitimate reason. Maybe because it highlights how much work my 411 needs.....sigh....

Hope the price was fair, if not reasonable. Not everyone gets a killer Texas barn find.

What's the story on the paint job? Down to bare metal? How many coats? Clear? Is that the stock Nissan Blue (don't have the code readily handy)?

Normally, not a fan of those wheels, but IMO they look mucho better than those photochopped Phantoms. They may be ubiquitous, but Panasports, Libres, or Watanabes trip my trigger.

• Like 1

....subscribed.....

First I was jealous....now I'm getting pi$$ed for no legitimate reason. Maybe because it highlights how much work my 411 needs.....sigh....

Hope the price was fair, if not reasonable. Not everyone gets a killer Texas barn find.

What's the story on the paint job? Down to bare metal? How many coats? Clear? Is that the stock Nissan Blue (don't have the code readily handy)?

Normally, not a fan of those wheels, but IMO they look mucho better than those photochopped Phantoms. They may be ubiquitous, but Panasports, Libres, or Watanabes trip my trigger.

Thanks! Sorry pi$$ you off, LOL! And I understand what you are saying. I paid the most I've ever paid for a Datsun for sure, but it would have been twice as much if it were all put together. Especially in New England. I kind of rearranged my thinking. Normally I get a beater and figure I can restore it, but never seem find the time or cash to get it to the level I'd want. I thought to get my current 4door to this level would be more than this one cost me. Especially if I couldn't do the work myself, and being that I've never done body work or paint I don't know how mine would have turned out. So I went for the best starting point I could afford for one that wasn't finished.

Lol it is the opposite of my 4-door which needed nothing under the hood and everything outside. Well this one actually has a rebuilt L16 so I guess it has had a ton or work under the hood too, but just not mechanically assembled.

As to the paint, I actually didn't ask if it were down to bare metal first, just made sure it wasn't rustoleum or rattlecan. But was told it was the stock color and seems to match the original paint in the interior really well. There is one spot on the driver door where the buffer got away from him and he let me know the hood could be wetsanded to the next level.

• Like 1